Youtube seems to be confused about what english is

• You appear to be viewing YouTube from this country: United Kingdom
We have highlighted videos from this country and selected the following language for viewing the website: English (US)
Click

Apparently we speak "English (US)" in the UK, instead of "English", so youtube has automatically changed it for me.

I especially like the "Show message in English" link, because obviously the messge is in "English (US)", which is a different language to "English".
    EDIT: Pressing that link makes it show a second copy of the message below the first. Clearly in English the second time.

Personally I think youtube's gone mad.

• Btw, youtube does offer "English (UK)" as a language choice.

•  I hear that in English(UK), the "OK" button says "OuK".

•  A few weeks/months ago, I (an American) started getting redirected to the UK YouTube site. It's almost as if plain old www.youtube.com doesn't exist anymore.

• I am usually offended by many programs that either give me Spanish (Spain) as a default option (for software bought in Mexico) or insist on Spanish(Spain) even after choosing/detecting Mexico as my country of origin.

Oh, the best one would be ZoneAlarm's WTF: when trying to buy ZA products on their site, not only does it insist on slapping me with Spainiard language and swapped decimal-points (or commas?), but they also try to overcharge me, as the US bill would be $49.90 but the Spanish bill is €49.90 ... nice. (Of course I bought the US/English version.)

• Were you confused by the US-like wording of the text box?

*reads the prompt aloud in a British accent using words like 'biscuit' and 'jolly good' and 'bloody hell'*

Does it make sense now?

• @Zylon said:

A few weeks/months ago, I (an American) started getting redirected to the UK YouTube site. It's almost as if plain old www.youtube.com doesn't exist anymore.

You have to set your country back to Worldwide in order to use the www.youtube.com domain.

• Exactly, since it had detected he was in the UK why did it suggest the non-UK version?

• @Lazy-lump said:

Exactly, since it had detected he was in the UK why did it suggest the non-UK version?

You don't understand the point of this site, do you?

• @tOmcOlins said:

@Lazy-lump said:

Exactly, since it had detected he was in the UK why did it suggest the non-UK version?

You don't understand the point of this site, do you?

Go easy on him, he probably just didn't fully understand the OP seeing as it was written in English (UK).