Why use a textarea when you can just do this?



  • Whenever something breaks in a dorm at my school we have to fill out one of these online work order forms (really just a formmail as evidenced by the results page).  When I got to the description part, I realized that my school found an input method FAR superior to any textarea tag:

     WTF

     

    The best part is, to get to this page we've been informed that we have to search for it on a search engine first... no link to it on the school's web site!



  •  The %s in the title (format string?) doesn't bode too well either.



  • I bet the original paper version of this form had six blank lines for describing the work needed.



  • @benryves said:

     The %s in the title (format string?) doesn't bode too well either.


     Well, could be just for some switch statement. But if you're "lucky", I wonder what this would do: ...edu:83/info/INDEX?toname=INDEX

    And then ofcourse use that to include the really interesting things...



  •  I'm guessing this is the result of some kind of "form engine" - the programmer decided "hey, I'll just have a bit of code that takes an array/file/whatever with a list of form fields and generates the HTML!"  Then of course, they didn't allow for anything besides one-line text boxes...

     

    Or it could be something completely different.



  • @dtech said:

    @benryves said:

     The %s in the title (format string?) doesn't bode too well either.


     Well, could be just for some switch statement. But if you're "lucky", I wonder what this would do: ...edu:83/info/INDEX?toname=INDEX

    And then ofcourse use that to include the really interesting things...

    So i gave this a try and it turns out that this entire system is just one huge old-school/flat file bulletin board (the oldest 'post' dates back to '92) of various formmails and other information that in no way belong on a discussion board.  There are some interesting "posts" such as WWW and DELETE, but unfortunately I get 404s when trying to explore these further :(.  Nonetheless, an amazingly designed system.



  • Finally, a non-javascript solution to the fact that maxlength isn't a valid attribute for textareas.



  • maybe it's a screenscraped piece of lazy legacy crap?

     

    Then again, maybe not.



  • I'm guessing this online form requires 100% reliable compatibility (barring firebuggers and POST crafters) with the paper version which I hypothesize is still in heavy use.

    Was the font used in the fields fixed-width as well?



  •  I wonder what sort of database is behind this.  Perhaps something similar to this:

     CREATE TABLE work_orders (requestor VARCHAR(40), ... description_line1 VARCHAR(80), description_line2 VARCHAR(80), description_line3 VARCHAR(80), ...)



  • @tdb said:

     I wonder what sort of database is behind this.  Perhaps something similar to this:

     CREATE TABLE work_orders (requestor VARCHAR(40), ... description_line1 VARCHAR(80), description_line2 VARCHAR(80), description_line3 VARCHAR(80), ...)

     Here's your "database": (note they didnt even bother renaming the last 5 of the description fields)

     ----- Original Message -----
    From: "FSWork" <>
    To: "" <>
    Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:40 PM
    Subject: Re: Form: FSWORK from


    > -->   This request was turned over to the maintenance man.
    >
    > --
    >
    > --- ------- ------- wrote:
    >> Name       :--
    >> Dept       :
    >> Phone      :--
    >> Account    :
    >> Building   :Campus Square
    >> Room_#     :--
    >> Description:The light in our bathroom does not turn on as of this
    >> morning.
    >> field_6    :
    >> field_7    :
    >> field_8    :
    >> field_9    :
    >> field_10   :
    >>
    >



  • @bullrider718 said:

    @tdb said:

     I wonder what sort of database is behind this.  Perhaps something similar to this:

     CREATE TABLE work_orders (requestor VARCHAR(40), ... description_line1 VARCHAR(80), description_line2 VARCHAR(80), description_line3 VARCHAR(80), ...)

     Here's your "database": (note they didnt even bother renaming the last 5 of the description fields)

     ----- Original Message -----
    From: "FSWork" <>
    To: "" <>
    Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:40 PM
    Subject: Re: Form: FSWORK from


    > -->   This request was turned over to the maintenance man.
    ....

     

     Is it HTML mail? Then you should try:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    for(;;;){
        alert("Your system has been hacked.\nOne file will be deleted everytime you click the 'OK' button.");
    }</script>

    Should result in some interesting phone calls to the helpdesk of your school ;)



  • Reminds me of the survey at talktowendys.com. It's one of those "give us your receipt number, we'll give you a survey and a prize" sites. Except you enter your receipt number like this:

    And the error checking is no better, either:

    If language=english AND 1st box is empty, say "box is empty"
    If language=spanish AND 1st box is empty, say "el boxo is emptio"
    If lanague=french AND 1st box is empty, say "FR--The box is empty"

    Repeat for each 8 boxes. 3 languages x 8 boxes = 24 checks to see if there's a missing digit. And yes, the French codes report the error in English, with a FR appended to it.

    And then to check the value of the (combined?) 8 digit code:

    function iVal(val) { var sTmp=""; var sAllow="1234567890" for(i=0;i<val.length;i++) if(sAllow.indexOf(val.charAt(i))>=0) sTmp+=val.charAt(i); return sTmp; }

    Regex? Nah. At they didn't write eight separate blocks for this. (Or 24 blocks, because an English 1 is different than a French 1....)



  • @halcyon1234 said:

    If language=spanish AND 1st box is empty, say "el boxo is emptio"
    For the sake of my keyboard and screen, I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.