Creative Support WTF

• So Creative is full of WTFs for me... Their support is one of the bigger ones.

Nobody actually reads my emails. I say "Player crashes when I plug it in to my computer when Windows Media Player is running". Their response: Please send in your player for repairs if it crashes your computer, disable your virus scanner on the computer, and re-install windows. I say read my email. The second response is identical. I say read my email again. The third response is "I read the email... ok so there might be a firmware issue in your player if the crashes."

When I send them an email about bugs in the player... they automatically pointed to an MP3 recovery tool saying "I understand your frustration with not being able to retrieve your MP3s".

• Meh.

TRWTF is that there are still businesses who think it's ever an acceptable solution to tell users to "re-install Windows".  Don't blame me for your buggy software, and don't blame Microsoft either.  It's your fault, and expecting me to waste several hours of my time on what amounts to nothing more than a shot in the dark makes me want to punch you in the face.  You sold me the product, now do your job and support it.  Stop wasting my time.

•  Okay, it's wrong to tell real users to re-install Windows.  But I admit it's fun asking users that are using Mac or Linux if they have already done that.  Once.

• @Aaron said:

Meh.

TRWTF is that there are still businesses who think it's ever an acceptable solution to tell users to "re-install Windows".  Don't blame me for your buggy software, and don't blame Microsoft either.  It's your fault, and expecting me to waste several hours of my time on what amounts to nothing more than a shot in the dark makes me want to punch you in the face.  You sold me the product, now do your job and support it.  Stop wasting my time.

Yes because Microsoft is flawless. All software works properly in a Windows environment at all times and differences in updates, critical patches or version numbers never breaks anything. Not to mention that other software/utilities the user is also running are additionally flawless, particularly if they're mentioned somewhere on the ivory tower of microsoft.com.

Er wait... why am I being sarcastic? I agree completely with you that  "re-install Windows" shouldn't be the default answer or one of the first steps in support proceedures. It's somewhere in the land if "if all else fails and you really need this to work..."

But yeah, I have both sides of the coin... I own applications that suck but I'm forced to use them... and I own applications that suck only because something else in Windows that probably shouldn't cause a problem, does. And I own applications that suck because I haven't installed every single recommended update for one reason or another.

• @wildkard said:

Yes because Microsoft is flawless. All software works properly in a Windows environment at all times and differences in updates, critical patches or version numbers never breaks anything. Not to mention that other software/utilities the user is also running are additionally flawless, particularly if they're mentioned somewhere on the ivory tower of microsoft.com.

Er wait... why am I being sarcastic? I agree completely with you that  "re-install Windows" shouldn't be the default answer or one of the first steps in support proceedures. It's somewhere in the land if "if all else fails and you really need this to work..."

But yeah, I have both sides of the coin... I own applications that suck but I'm forced to use them... and I own applications that suck only because something else in Windows that probably shouldn't cause a problem, does. And I own applications that suck because I haven't installed every single recommended update for one reason or another.

Senseless and uncalled for bashing of MS just shows people you're incapable of thinking for yourself and have to echo the /. crowd. Having Creative say "reinstall Windows" because their player crashes has nothing to do with Microsoft, and your tag using "M$" shows you're an idiot.

Please post intelligently  or go back to /. We have a higher standard here. 

• @KenW said:

Senseless and uncalled for bashing of MS just shows people you're incapable of thinking for yourself and have to echo the /. crowd. Having Creative say "reinstall Windows" because their player crashes has nothing to do with Microsoft, and your tag using "M$" shows you're an idiot.

Please post intelligently  or go back to /. We have a higher standard here. 

I thought I agreed with that part. The M$ tag was already in thedailywtf cloud. Thanks for reminding me I haven't checked /. in a week. Higher standards remain in dispute, but y'all sure are entertaining.

• @astonerbum said:

Nobody actually reads my emails. I say "Player crashes when I plug it in to my computer when Windows Media Player is running". Their response: Please send in your player for repairs if it crashes your computer, disable your virus scanner on the computer, and re-install windows. I say read my email. The second response is identical. I say read my email again. The third response is "I read the email... ok so there might be a firmware issue in your player if the crashes."
    Heh, sounds familiar, except that I kept copying and pasting the same message until one of the monkeys actually read it.

• A running support gag here is to tell users to uninstall the TCP/IP protocol and see if that helps.

• This is the reason creative is dying. People don't want to use the hardware (which is quite good) because the software is a POS.

Creative already sold and leased their corporate HQ because they had no money. I just waiting for them to go belly-up.