Weird annoying Python/vista stuff



  • I'm not entirely sure if this is the right forum, but it's probably worth a shot...

    Anyway, I'm stewie, i spent most of last night teaching myself python from some guides on building easy text-based games that are in the python online documentation. And then my interpreter suddenly stops doing anything when i run my programs. I exited, tried to open the interpreter again and BAM! subroutine failure. i was running 2.5.2 at the time; i have re-installed 2.5.2, tried 2.4, 2.6 and 3.0 (the last two are betas) and they all run into the same error (2.6 and 3.0 produce silent failures, presumably due to being in beta and not having the appropriate error massages put into them yet). I've been told that the subroutines can be blocked by local firewalls, but even turning my (Norton AV) firewall off has no effect. Has anyone seen a problem like this before, does it have anything to do with running windows vista and does anyone have a fix?

    thanks

    stewie



  • You would probably have much better luck asking on the official Python forums/listserv/bug tracker.  People here would generally be glad to help you, but this forum is really more for design-oriented questions rather than specific issues with particular software. 



  • ok, thanks. i wasn't thinking too well last night. to be honest i'm not thinking too well now. anyway, off to python forums



  • Quick note, Norton is never "off", even after uninstall you will be plagued by the effects it left behind.

    Installing Norton is like taking your brand new car, driving it in a ditch and saying "Whow, this is a great parking spot!"



  • Looks like an IDLE problem. If you really like idle (HA HA) it might be worth filing a bug, but a better suggestion is to use a better editor / interpreter console (Emacs does the job).



  • the real WTF is advocating Emacs. VI baby!



  • @jwenting said:

    the real WTF is advocating Emacs. VI baby!

    TRWTF is writing code in word processors. [b]ed[/b] all the way!



  • thanks for the help, i've sort of fixed it. may i point those of you arguing to www.xkcd.com/378



  • @stewieatb said:

    may i point those of you arguing to www.xkcd.com/378

    Sorry, you mayn't.



  • @Spectre said:

    @stewieatb said:
    may i point those of you arguing to www.xkcd.com/378

    Sorry, you mayn't.

    xkcd is like some kind of disease of the intellect.  Average people encounter it and even though it is painfully unfunny and has no value whatsoever, they feel compelled to spread it everywhere they go, like a wayward toddler tracking dog feces from the out-of-doors all over the nice rug.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @Spectre said:

    @stewieatb said:
    may i point those of you arguing to www.xkcd.com/378

    Sorry, you mayn't.

    xkcd is like some kind of disease of the intellect.  Average people encounter it and even though it is painfully unfunny and has no value whatsoever, they feel compelled to spread it everywhere they go, like a wayward toddler tracking dog feces from the out-of-doors all over the nice rug.

    That reminds me of this one xkcd...



  • @bstorer said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    @Spectre said:

    @stewieatb said:
    may i point those of you arguing to www.xkcd.com/378

    Sorry, you mayn't.

    xkcd is like some kind of disease of the intellect.  Average people encounter it and even though it is painfully unfunny and has no value whatsoever, they feel compelled to spread it everywhere they go, like a wayward toddler tracking dog feces from the out-of-doors all over the nice rug.

    That reminds me of this one xkcd...

    well done guys, you've invented the ad-com (ad comicem)



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Average people encounter it and even though it is painfully unfunny and has no
    value whatsoever, they feel compelled to spread it everywhere they go, like a
    wayward toddler tracking dog feces from the out-of-doors all over the nice rug.

    While your buttessment of the comic itself strikes me as overexaggerated, I agree that the general populace's behaviour is becoming predictable to the point of being unacceptable. Thus, I propose to add the following rule to the TDWTF Manual of Style:

    • [b]The only comic that may be linked to or embedded in a post to The Daily WTF forums is [i]Mandatory Fun Day[/i].[/b]
      [i](The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in [url=http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2119]RFC 2119[/url].)[/i]


  • @Spectre said:

    @morbiuswilters said:
    Average people encounter it and even though it is painfully unfunny and has no
    value whatsoever, they feel compelled to spread it everywhere they go, like a
    wayward toddler tracking dog feces from the out-of-doors all over the nice rug.

    While your buttessment of the comic itself strikes me as overexaggerated, I agree that the general populace's behaviour is becoming predictable to the point of being unacceptable. Thus, I propose to add the following rule to the TDWTF Manual of Style:

    • The only comic that may be linked to or embedded in a post to The Daily WTF forums is Mandatory Fun Day.
      (The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.)

    I second the "MFD only" motion. 



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    I second the "MFD only" motion. 

    While I may be a little bit biased, I third the motion.



  • @DoctorFriday said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    I second the "MFD only" motion. 

    While I may be a little bit biased, I third the motion.

    In order to resolve your bias, we'll count your vote as "first season of MFD only".


  • @stewieatb said:

    thanks for the help, i've sort of fixed it. may i point those of you arguing to www.xkcd.com/378
     

    Sorry to do this, but I think I know of a much better editor-war comic.

    Hey, does anyone know where this came from? I've lost the source bookmark.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.