"Catastrophic failure"

• Has anyone ever received this message while working on SQL Server 2005? My heart just skipped a few beats while receiving this popup while executing a normal DELETE FROM -statement.I panicked and didn't get a screenshot, but found a link which describes a similar error message, except the message I received was just "Catastrophic failure" and an OK button.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243349

• SQL Server 2005 is a Catastrophic Failure in every way.

•  I do like the workaraound especially the first of the three ones.

• @Nether said:

SQL Server 2005 is a Catastrophic Failure in every way.
    OK, moving right along...

• @Nether said:

[citation needed] 

• @Nether said:

Considering that the fault lies with an ancient version of MDAC and not with SQL Server 2005, I disagree.

•  Morbius -- remember what we agreed upon when dealing with flamebaits and trollers.  We don't feed them, right?

Nether -- Feel free to troll elsewhere, we don't appreciate that kind of behavior here.

• @Jeff S said:

Morbius -- remember what we agreed upon[dubious - discuss] when dealing with flamebaits and trollers.  We don't feed them, right?

Nether -- Feel free to troll elsewhere, we don't appreciate that kind of behavior here[citation needed].

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Jeff S said:

Morbius -- remember what we agreed upon[dubious - discuss] when dealing with flamebaits and trollers.  We don't feed them, right?

Nether -- Feel free to troll elsewhere, we don't appreciate that kind of behavior here[citation needed].

Sure!

If you'd like to discuss, as always, you are more than welcome to PM me.  Thanks!

• @Jeff S said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@Jeff S said:

Sure!

If you'd like to discuss, as always, you are more than welcome to PM me.  Thanks!

I never said I would do that, I said that perhaps some other forum regulars should speak up as well.  Also, if you think "[citation needed]" is flamebait, I don't know what to tell you.  It's an amusing way of telling someone to support their controversial opinion with evidence or shut up, without having to type all of that out.  If someone flips out and starts a flamewar because they get a "[citation needed]" on an unverified claim, that is their problem.  Has anyone even complained about this or are you just being your usual busybody self?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Jeff S said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@Jeff S said:

Sure!

I never said I would do that, I said that perhaps some other forum regulars should speak up as well.  Also, if you think "[citation needed]" is flamebait, I don't know what to tell you.  It's an amusing way of telling someone to support their controversial opinion with evidence or shut up, without having to type all of that out.  If someone flips out and starts a flamewar because they get a "[citation needed]" on an unverified claim, that is their problem.  Has anyone even complained about this or are you just being your usual busybody self?

QED

[no citation needed]

• @morbiuswilters said:

Also, if you think "[citation needed]" is flamebait, I don't know what to tell you. 

I never claimed you were posting flamebait. @morbiuswilters said:

Has anyone even complained about this or are you just being your usual busybody self?

Interesting comment from someone who has the time/inclination to post in just about every single thread.  And, yes, someone did complain about the flambaiting and trolling and offered suggestions on how we should handle the problem -- you.

• The only time I've seen the phrase "Catostophic Failure" is in teh nuclear power field, when talking about metallurgy, fracture mechanics, and teh concept of "brittle fracture," which is defined as:

The catostrophic failure of a part or component with little or no plastic deformation.

Irrelevant, off topic, but it's my first post, so forgive me :)

• @KopT said:

Has anyone ever received this message while working on SQL Server 2005? My heart just skipped a few beats while receiving this popup while executing a normal DELETE FROM -statement.I panicked and didn't get a screenshot, but found a link which describes a similar error message, except the message I received was just "Catastrophic failure" and an OK button.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243349

I've been battling with a weirder error message myself:

[Sybase JDBC Driver]End of stream was detected on a read.

That, and other weird stuff like Sybase failing to insert/update using the same damned PreparedStatements is driving me insane!!!