Big Time WTF job ad

• <FONT size=3>This is a job ad that appeared some time ago in Greece. The company is a German Electronics multinational </FONT>

<FONT size=3>that is currently in the news for a number of high profile corruption cases.</FONT>

<FONT size=3>The job ad keeps reappearing with different variations… I wonder why… <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3><o:p> </o:p></FONT><FONT size=3><o:p></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT><FONT size=3><o:p><FONT size=3>Essentials </FONT></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3><o:p></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3><o:p></o:p></FONT><o:p><FONT size=3></FONT></o:p><FONT size=3>University Degree in Telecomms/Engineering or Computer Science<o:p></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3>Very good knowledge of Object Oriented Programming and Java or .NET <o:p></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3>or C/CC++ in one of the following areas<o:p></o:p></FONT>
    • <FONT size=3>Embedded Programming,(Linux, GNU) <o:p></o:p></FONT>
    • <FONT size=3>Real Time Programming <o:p></o:p></FONT>
    • <FONT size=3>Inter-process communication / Threads <o:p></o:p></FONT>

<FONT size=3>Very good knowledge of Unix/Linux and scripting (shell, perl) </FONT>

<FONT size=3><o:p></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3>Very good knowledge of Web Technologies (Java servlets / JSP, XML, SOAP, web services) </FONT><FONT size=3><o:p></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3>Very good knowledge of networks (data and voice) protocols and interfaces VoIP, SIP, H.323, TCP/IP, , XML, SOAP, SNMP) </FONT><FONT size=3><o:p></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3>Knowledge of software architecture (UML, Design Patterns) </FONT><FONT size=3><o:p></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3>Knowledge of software development processes Waterfall, RUP, Agile </FONT><FONT size=3><o:p></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3>Knowledge of Databases (Oracle, mysql, MS SQL, Solid) </FONT><FONT size=3><o:p></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3>Excellent knowledge of English</FONT><FONT size=3><o:p></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3>Able to travel abroad</FONT><FONT size=3><o:p></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3>Completed military obligations (There is a 1 year military service in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Greece</st1:place></st1:country-region>)<o:p></o:p></FONT> <FONT size=3>Age, up to 30 years old.</FONT><o:p><FONT size=3> </FONT></o:p><o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p><FONT size=3>Nice to have </FONT><FONT size=3><o:p></o:p></FONT><FONT size=3>Knowledge of CORBA, DCOM ,ORM (Object Relation Mapping) – Hibernate,J2EE Aplication servers (JBoss, Weblogic) , Aspect Oriented Programming (AOP) <o:p></o:p></FONT>

• That's ageism! 

• @Manos said:

<font size="3">Object Oriented Programming and Java or .NET </font><font size="3">or C/CC++</font>
    They can't even decide on the tech stack.  "Whatever you know, we'll build it that way!"

There are other possible explanations, but this is the most plausible and WTFey to me.

•  Hahaha.

Good luck finding even a *single* person that fits all of that.

Wow. Some manager got a little to Buzz-word happy me thinks.

• @morbiuswilters said:

That's ageism! 

It is also illegal under Greek and European law. All their ads have an age limit, between 30 and 35.

•  Yeah that reminds me of that one Dilbert where the job add said something like "must have 300 years experience in COBOL, a PHD, an Olympic Gold medal..." something like that.

• @amischiefr said:

Yeah that reminds me of that one Dilbert where the job add said something like "must have 300 years experience in COBOL, a PHD, an Olympic Gold medal..." something like that.

Pfft, that's not even possible: COBOL's only been around for 293 years, fer Chrissakes! 

• @morbiuswilters said:

@amischiefr said:
    Yeah that reminds me of that one Dilbert where the job add said something like "must have 300 years experience in COBOL, a PHD, an Olympic Gold medal..." something like that.
    Pfft, that's not even possible: COBOL's only been around for 293 years, fer Chrissakes!
    I have it on good authority that Columbus used a COBOL mainframe to find India.  However, someone made a PIC 9999V9 when it should have been a 999V99 and threw all the calculations off and he never did find his precious India.

That blunder made the front page of a semi-popular newsletter called The Weekly WTH and is viewed as the article that caused TWWTH to take off.

He did find another country/continent that turned out to be an alright place.

•  They think they are going to find someone less than 30-years-old with experience in CORBA and DCOM? Good luck with that.

• @JamesKilton said:

Good luck finding even a single person that fits all of that.

I meet all the requirements (except the military service - I'm not greek), except some of the communication protocols (I think they mean to say you must know at least a few, which I do) and a couple of the nice-to-have's: CORBA and J2EE Aplication servers (JBoss, Weblogic)

I know a couple of others that fit those requirements too, but yeah, most people like that are over 30.

• I think everyone's read their list of wishlist job ads.

There was an ad I read a few years back requiring "8 years experience with Ruby on Rails".  They should have said "Required: name is David Heinemeyer Hansson."

These situations come about when one person starts getting into a little bit of everything. A touch of PHP here, a touch of Ruby there. Some cut-n-paste Python. And then the management starts putting the squeeze on them, because they don't appreciate what this one-man-show is doing. One-man-show puts out his resume, gets offered a few jobs. Discusses with manager. "So they're offering me 35k more than I'm getting here." "WHAT?! We can't afford that." "Well, good luck finding somebody -- here's your job ad."

It's happened to me.

• H
    FSCREEN O F 80 80 CRT
    C EXCPT
    OSCREEN E 1
    O 24 '320 YEARS RPG EXPERIENCE'  
    Yes, I forgot enough RPG that I had to steal the example.

• now as in university back in 2006 (whew, that long ago, skriptkiddies) i had a professor who at that time had seen about 150 summers, and who was for example teaching PHIGS (you know, the successor of GKS). he also some time mumbled something about CORBA... i don't exactly work in IT right now, so i had to look it up on (stone me, stone me) wikipedia:

The Common Object Requesting Broker Architecture (CORBA) is a standard defined by the Object Management Group (OMG)

i like the sound of OMG...WTF

...anybody ever had a boss who though it a wise idea to have a Web Task Force?

• :belt_onion:

Reminds me of a situation where a manager already knows exactly who he wants to hire, but is required by company policy to create a job ad. He then creates an ad that is specifically tailored for his candidate.

• @bjolling said:

Reminds me of a situation where a manager already knows exactly who he wants to hire, but is required by company policy to create a job ad. He then creates an ad that is specifically tailored for his candidate.

A situation? Just one? This has happened to me for all but one of my jobs or promotions. Maybe I need to rephrase "approached to join as" on my resume, to "position created for". Thanks for the tip. 

• @bjolling said:

This is common when an employer needs to get work permit papers for an existing employee. 

They have to show authorities that they can't employ someone locally to that standard, so they create a long list of requirements (that the current employee matches) and put it online for a few weeks. 

•  There were more than a few stiffled laughs at Uni when we saw a lecture slide with OMG CORBA in big letters. Yay Java I guess.

•  Now taking bets on whether the thread gets locked before the inevitable look-at-the-date post.

•  Whoops, I appear to have been browsing the wrong page. *sneaks out quietly*

• @DOA said:

Now taking bets on whether the thread gets locked before the inevitable look-at-the-date post.

Doesn't this count as one of those posts, though? 

•  I think this guy said it best back when I was railing against the fact that this bullshit is apparently well-nigh universal. *sigh* Dad was right; I should've become a plumber.