We don't code from requirements - redux



  • Some time back, I wrote about sponsors who basically forced us to code up a system on-the-fly. Shortly thereafter, the company got bought out in an unrelated but fascinating wtf (future post).

    Ok, our team is now conjoined with our counterparts from the other firm. We are integrating their system into ours. To do this, we need to map the logic they used to associate one transaction with another onto our logic, which processes things a little differently, in order to get the same result. We asked them once, twice, thrice, four times over four weeks to provide requirements (they implemented it, so there must be requirements, right?)

    The response? (over the phone) Oh, we didn't code from requirements; we just kept massaging our logic until everything was associated. At this point, we just looked at each other, shared a horror flashback, and decided that we'd just reverse engineer their code.

    It turns out that for all transactions of any given type that they can't figure out how to process, they create a fake parent transaction and make all the "unknowns" it's children. So what if your transactions are mixed with mine; it's only financial data; as long as everything is matched up with something! And they do this for numerous different types of transactions.

    We have decided to reverse engineer the data and figure out the required logic ourselves.

    And I get paid to watch this play out every day!



  • @snoofle said:

    And I get paid to watch this play out every day!

    Whatever they pay you, it can't possibly be enough to deal with that level of crap...



  • @snoofle said:

    The response? (over the phone) Oh, we didn't code from requirements; we just kept massaging our logic until everything was associated.

    Trick them to write that response down in the email

     



  • Actually, creating a false parent transaction is sometimes the only way out from a mess created by fact that SOME PEOPLE CAN´T EVEN RETYPE STRING OF EIGHT CHARRACTERS, THAT REPRESENTS THE ORIGINAL TRANSACTION, CORRECTLY!

     Happens every other day where I work. So far we got away with that. So far.



  •  So whats the problem, they just do extreme programming (http://www.extremeprogramming.org/)



  • @snoofle said:

    Some time back, I wrote about sponsors who basically forced us to code up a system on-the-fly.

    @snoofle said:

    We asked them once, twice, thrice, four times over four weeks to provide requirements (they implemented it, so there must be requirements, right?)

    Didn't you just answer your own question before you even wrote it there?



  • This makes me cry...


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.