Unionised monks threatening to go on strike...

• Hahaha, funniest thing I have read on the news in a long time:

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,18148454%255E954,00.html

Now, THAT is a wtf...

• Now, THAT is a wtf...

Only if you think "monk" means someone who prays all day because that's what they want to do and nothing else. I happen to know something about what the the training of future buddhist monks in Japan looks like: you don't leave the temple for 3 months. You get up at 5AM and perform a long, complicated ritual that takes even those who know it in their sleep 2 hours - for a beginner it's more like 5 hours. And there's lots of "real" work to be done in keeping the temple running and tidy and the visitors happy so that they'll donate generously. At the same time, once your training is completed, you ARE allowed to have a life outside the temple, marry and have children. Also, there is no church, no hierarchy that is considered to be god-given. So if you work at a big temple and the head priest is treating you unfairly and doesn't allow any criticism, why would it be a WTF to start an organized protest?

• <font size="2">Everyone knows ionised monks are cooler, anyway.

</font>

• Man, I would so fly over there to be a Bhuddist monk scab. But when I crossed the picket line, they'd probably pull up some of that martial arts voodoo and break 3 ribs or something.

"Better living conditions?" Maybe a bigger begging bowl? A softer plank to sleep on? Dude, life is suffering...

• @brazzy said:

Now, THAT is a wtf...

...why would it be a WTF to start an organized protest?

Com'on now. Didn't the Lord Buddha say, "The desire for sensual enjoyment and clinging to earthly life is the cause of sorrow. If we can eradicate desire, all sorrows and pains will come to an end"? I am not saying its right or wrong for them to join unions and to protest for better wages and conditions. But, jeeze, you gotta see at least some of the irony here...

@cconroy said:

<FONT size=2>Everyone knows ionised monks are cooler, anyway.

</FONT>

Haha. I bet ionised monks have more positive energy... or maybe they are just more attractive...

Disclaimer: I am not a buddhist (I just play one on tv...)

• @R.Flowers said:

Man, I would so fly over there to be a Bhuddist monk scab.

Ahahaha haha ha...

This is one of the funniest things I've read in a while.

• Hey, apparently now Bhuddist monks can advocate offing a guy:

Sri Lanka monk says no peace until top rebel dead

"Even Buddhist monks can act in self-defense," said the 69-year-old, who became a monk at the age of 12 and enjoys a revered status in Sri Lanka, like other Buddhist monks. "We now face a terrorist problem. They are attacking us, so why can't we fight in self-defence?"