WTF requirement !

•  http://www.getacoder.com/projects/programming_c_87390.html

LOL!

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Budget - $20-$100. Lulz.

• When it gets Installed, the user needs to insert a serial number.
    From that I'm getting the intention he's going to sell it (as opposed to just using it internally). Beware people, this might be the new Windows killer.

• @yamikuronue said:

Budget - $20-$100. Lulz.

Well, I suppose if your currency is peanuts and bananas, then $20 for the whole thing might not look so bad. Naturally, since BG has now left the company, he might be able to pull it off...

• Hmm, he must've reposted it a few times. I've seen almost this exact project description pointed out as a WTF on that site at least once before.

•  

Wow.

I mean yeah Linux is a free OS, but I doubt if asked to write a custom distro one guy would do it for 20 bucks....

• I wouldn't even bother to install a stock distro on a single box for $20.

• Obviously not for $20, but couldn't one simply take an existing distro and rebrand it with more XP-looking icons (kinda like the old Lindows), provide some kind of registration thing, and technically fulfill the requirements?

That said, the guy is a loon, or stupid, or both.

• I'm surprising to me that he isn't asking for a myspace clone for $20 with tons of extra features such as a custom API and full video integretion. He also plans to host it on his cable connection out of his bedroom, so it needs to be fast enough for that.

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

That just made me think of something.  This guy actually thinks he's going to get what he wants!  I mean, the site is called "get a coder" not "possibly get a coder."  He's been showing this post to his friends and family and trying to amaze them with his business sense.  A couple of them actually were stupid enough to think it's a good idea, and fueled his stupidity.  

The result?  Our old friend Swampy.

PS I dare someone to show this guy a screen shot of SSDS and demand their $100.

• They could wait for ReactOS to be finished, and then add a function requiring a serial number to be entered (and any other modifications they want), and then sell that. It is allowed (because of GNU GPL), just they have to release the source-code as well

Also, the terms of service on that web-site are also seems stupid to me. You are not allowed to contact the Project Creator outside of that web-site, and you are not allowed to start working on the project before your bid is accepted.

• @belgariontheking said:

How about sending him that "Windows RG" flash, and just sticking in an "Enter Serial Number" prompt? Even get away with this, as it is an Operasting System he's asking for. Just argue that this is an Operasting System which works differently than an Operating System! ;)

• @Lingerance said:

When it gets Installed, the user needs to insert a serial number.
    From that I'm getting the intention he's going to sell it (as opposed to just using it internally). Beware people, this might be the new Windows killer.
    Really? I got that from the part that reads "...as I'm going to sell that operating system later on."

• @zzo38 said:

Also, the terms of service on that web-site are also seems stupid to me. You are not allowed to contact the Project Creator outside of that web-site, and you are not allowed to start working on the project before your bid is accepted.

Only the second part is. If the coder did contact the "Project Creator" (why not use Buyer like every other site out there?) then they could set up something independent of the site and then the site wouldn't get their cut of the fee from acting as a broker. OTOH, no one would be able to tell if you started the work before your bid being accepted.

•  [url]http://www.getacoder.com/projects/operating_system_42879.html[/url]

@joemck said:

Hmm, he must've reposted it a few times. I've seen almost this exact project description pointed out as a WTF on that site at least once before.

• @belgariontheking said:

@ObiWayneKenobi said:

That just made me think of something.  This guy actually thinks he's going to get what he wants!  I mean, the site is called "get a coder" not "possibly get a coder."  He's been showing this post to his friends and family and trying to amaze them with his business sense.  A couple of them actually were stupid enough to think it's a good idea, and fueled his stupidity.  

The result?  Our old friend Swampy.

I'll bid on it tonight... I'll see if I can get him to pay up-front. I'll make reasonable deadlines... like by EOD tomorrow... and see if I can make it on-time... If not he can always fire me ya know.

• @zonker said:

http://www.getacoder.com/projects/operating_system_42879.html

Look at the bids page:

@bid said:

Hi. I can do this for you next week, when I plan on taking a break from a nonotech based / atomic fission driven search engine thats going to make larry page wet his pants. 6 days to code, 1 to rest. It will be written from scratch and completely original in design, so don't worry about copyright bs. I plan to write the entire OS in C, and blindfolded, if its all the same to you. 100% secure will not be a problem either...In fact the OS will be designed to leverage jedi mind tricks to kill anyone that even thinks about breaking in. (i was thinking maybe make them chop off their feet and jump up and down until their empty would be fair). Anyways, I'm gonna smoke some more crack, maybe you should do the same. Thanks!

@bid said:

Dear Sir, I can complete this project for you with ease. My real name is Dave Gates and I am Bill Gates brother. I propose the following: I will steal the latest Vista DVD from my brothers briefcase and will then use ResHacker to change the jpegs and gifs embedded into the EXE's to say BLUEORB. I can also change the bootup sequence and cover this with an image of goatse.cx man with a blue ball in his ass (this should be our logo) The serial numbers can stay the same because anyone with a Vista serial can then use blue orb. I will steal DesktopX after that and make it autorun and then hide the program so noone knows what i did. i will make a theme and call it blue orb theme - the desktop image will be goatse.cx man blowing blue bubbles out of a crack pipe stuck in his ass. I plan to do all of this while eating the juices of jenna jameson poured on a salad made out of weed leaves sprinkled with LSD and crystal meth. thanks