CMS commercial



  •  Following a link on the last post on thinkvitamin.com, I just came across that website http://firerift.com/ , which presents you a commercial. While, for sure, make a nice advertising about something technical must be hard, I bet they deserve some price for completely missing the point.



  • Noone has ever made a commercial that said nothing about their product!



  •  O_o



  •  Who doesn't need a CMS so edgy and/or extreme that it gives you luminous eye cancer?



  •  Huh.

     Though I am impressed at their (supposed) mastery of the Weirding way, their stillsuit manufacture is centuries out of date.



  • From that commercial, all I can gather is that Firerift is some kind of evil space thing that gives power to dark wizards who beat down white people.



  • "Play Commercial" ...



    I suppose it makes a nice change from all those sites that play the commercial automatically and offer the link that says "[i]Skip[/i] Ad"



  • @Welbog said:

    From that commercial, all I can gather is that Firerift is some kind of evil space thing that gives power to dark wizards who beat down white people.
    In that case, I'll take two!



  • I'd buy it just for the eye cancer.



  • I think they cut out the part in the commercial where one guy says to the other "You look like you could use a massage"



  • @belgariontheking said:

    Noone has ever made a commercial that said nothing about their product!
    This even beats that Silverlight commercial! At least that one has the word "Web" in it.



  • If I were to venture a guess, I'd say they hired some guy who's spent the last fifteen years designing packaging for high-end graphics cards and is sticking to what he knows best. Besides, being hilariously weird is a tried and tested means of raising brand awareness. Remember the Complimentary Goldfish?



  •  It's built on PHP4... WHY?!



  •  @aikii said:

     Following a link on the last post on thinkvitamin.com, I just came across that website http://firerift.com/ , which presents you a commercial. While, for sure, make a nice advertising about something technical must be hard, I bet they deserve some price for completely missing the point.

    God, you must drive your coworkers crazy talking like that.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    Noone has ever made a commercial that said nothing about their product!
     

     

    Haven't you ever seen a Lexus or Calvin Klein commercial?



  •  The web design smells of Apple too.



  • @Raiko said:

     It's built on PHP4... WHY?!

    Because they don't want  to limit their customer base perhaps?  There are still a lot of web hosts that refuse to upgrade past PHP4, including some big names like Yahoo.



  • Reminds me of the PlanEx commercial from Futurama: http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=162976&title=planex



  •  @savar said:

     God, you must drive your coworkers crazy talking like that.

    Sorry, English is not my first language. Did I say something wrong ?



  • @aikii said:

    Sorry, English is not my first language. Did I say something wrong ?


    No, your first post (especially the second sentence) just sounds somewhat illiterate/odd.



  • I'd be happy to know how to reformulate it correctly, if anyone can help ... 😳



  • @aikii said:

    I'd be happy to know how to reformulate it correctly, if anyone can help ... 😳
    It's fine - some people just can't quite wrap their heads around the concept of a compound sentence.

    I found the commercial non-WTFy (brand awareness, anyone?), and even somehow likeable.



  • @wybl said:

    @aikii said:

    I'd be happy to know how to reformulate it correctly, if anyone can help ... 😳
    It's fine - some people just can't quite wrap their heads around the concept of a compound sentence.

    I found the commercial non-WTFy (brand awareness, anyone?), and even somehow likeable.

     

    It's not the compound sentence, it's the extreme passive voice and strange sentence structure.  Everything is grammatically correct, but unlike how anybody actually talks.  If anything, if you spoke like this you would come of as elitist, trying to show off, or pompous.  My guess is that your first language builds sentances like that and hence it feels natural for you.  I don't have a problem with it, because in writing I think people often change their sentance structure from the informal tone of conversation.  I think the person that pointed it out was just being funny.



  • @tster said:

    Everything is grammatically correct, but unlike how anybody actually talks.  If anything, if you spoke like this you would come of as elitist, trying to show off, or pompous.
    Ah, so that's what all those natives I have been talking with were doing all the time? Dear me, I've been press-ganged into a circle jerk.

    @tster said:

    I think the person that pointed it out was just being trying to be funny.
    FTFY.

    @aikii said:

    I'd be happy to know how to reformulate it correctly, if anyone can help ... 😳
    Also, before somebody else points it out, it should have been "making", not "make", and "prize", not "price".



  • @aikii said:

    I'd be happy to know how to reformulate it correctly, if anyone can help ... 😳

    Sure thing.

     

    @aikii said:

    Following a link on the last post on thinkvitamin.com, I just came across that this website http://firerift.com/
    , which presents you with a commercial. While, for sure, make making a nice
    advertising advertisement about something technical must be hard, I bet they deserve
    some price prize for completely missing the point.

    Your English isn't really bad, it just has a few of the type of errors that are common to people who learned English in a class or from a book rather than speaking it natively.  I highlighted the corrections in bold so that the two sentences are technically correct.  However, they are still a bit unnatural sounding, so I offer a more fluid phrasing below:

     

    I followed a link on the last post on thinkvitamin.com and it took me to the website http://firerift.com/, which has a commercial on the front page.  While it is surely hard to make a good advertisement about something technical, I think they deserve a prize for completely missing the point.

     

    Basically, I just changed the perspective so it was more like you telling a story.  Your original phrasing kind of reads like it is composed from the third person.  Also, I removed the "for sure" because the overuse of commas makes the sentence flow kind of clunky.  Remember, each comma is a pause, so it reads like "While (pause) for sure (pause) making" as opposed to "While it is surely hard" which flows without interruption.



  • @North Bus said:

     Huh.

     Though I am impressed at their (supposed) mastery of the Weirding way, their stillsuit manufacture is centuries out of date.

    The sleeper must awaken!



  • @danixdefcon5 said:

    The sleeper must awaken!

     

    Tell me of your homeworld, Usul. 



  •  Thanks for these remarks, especially for those who where specific about what's wrong in my phrasing. Most of my english experience comes from reading pedantic blogs and programming 😉 I get to orally speak english only on rare occasions



  • @aikii said:

    I get to orally ... only on rare occasions

    That sucks.



  • @danixdefcon5 said:

    The sleeper must awaken!
     

    "I do. I do say so.  He died.  This Sleeper who's woke up -- they changed in the night.  A poor, drugged insensible creature."


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.