License terms

• Mozilla Public License Version 1.1

1. Definitions.

1.0.1. "Commercial Use"
    means distribution or otherwise making the Covered Code available to a third party.

I've never seen that meaning of "commercial use" before...

• It seems reasonable to me.  Most of the time, people don't consider giving something away and getting nothing in return as a form of commerce, but it technically is. 

• Meh. "Commercial Use" is only used once in the entire document. In fact, Sun's CDDL (based upon the MPL 1.1) removes the term "Commercial Use" altogether and just inserts the definition in its place.

• So they let the C++ pre-processor have a go at thier licence then? :)

[code]
    #define COMMERCIAL_USE distribution or otherwise making the Covered Code available to a third party.
    [/code]

...blardy blar COMMERCIAL_USE blah blah..

• That's not a licence agreement, this is a license agreement -

"H.   a.You assign to us all your rights, and you will procure that persons permitted by you to access your game server assign to us all their rights..."

http://www.gamearena.com.au/help/tandcpopup.php#schone 

• @morbiuswilters said:

Most of the time, people don't consider giving something away and getting nothing in return as a form of commerce, but it technically is. 

And even if it weren't, I think it's commonly understood that a phrase like "free for non-commercial use" means that it's not intended for mass distribution, regardless of whether or not there's actually profit involved.

• @Aaron said:

And even if it weren't, I think it's commonly understood that a phrase like "free for non-commercial use" means that it's not intended for mass distribution, regardless of whether or not there's actually profit involved.

But... But...  Information wants to be free!!  It told me so itself! 

• @morbiuswilters said:

But... But...  Information wants to be free!!  It told me so itself! 
    Free as in flag burning, or free as in twelve kilos of uncut cocaine you find in a duffel bag floating down the river?