CBT for screenings.

• As a consultant, I come across companies that elect to conduct tests on the candidates as part of the screening process. This helps then focus on candidates that know their technologies. However, this test I was taking had many questions that didn't make sense. But this one takes the cake:

Ofcourse, there's negative marking. The scary thing? This testing service boasts some really big names on its clients list.

• Dude, I can't see either of the pictures you have posted.  Also, somehow you managed to screw up some of the javascript in the thread view.  WTF? 

• @morbiuswilters said:

Dude, I can't see either of the pictures you have posted.  Also, somehow you managed to screw up some of the javascript in the thread view.  WTF? 

Checking the sourcecode shows this in the image src:

http://imagebin.ca/img/lsE9V6dJ.png

However that link responds "Sorry, you can't do this from here." Looks like a case of IMG quoting FAIL.

• @danixdefcon5 said:

However that link responds "Sorry, you can't do this from here." Looks like a case of IMG quoting FAIL.

Thank you.  I was too lazy to dig through CS's fugly HTML but I figured it was something like that. 

•  Looks like the sort of thing I've seen on a few BrainBench questions in my days.  It's been a while since I've written truly awful java code, so I'm not positive, but isn't there no correct answer to this one?  I'd expect "myName Test.run" to be printed.

• Sometimes you need to write test for a recruitment, and sometimes you pass along the test to a co workers for checking and you reread it 4 or 5 times to ensure questions are all corrects. After that, the test comes back to you with a "90% of the highest resulting candidates fails on those 3 questions, could you check answers?" and you discover that, in an algorithm you needed candidates to analyze you missed one f** line, making it ununderstandable. and you feel ashamed of your test :)

• @danixdefcon5 said:

Some oddity in the img linkage, but the URL loads fine. It's a test question with some code and choices A-E, none of which are correct.

It's not even a difficult question, I mean come on, it's basically looking at one line and following the variable references to figure out what the output of it is. TRWTF is that it's Question 39. Are the previous questions even simpler?

• The image is appearing now (at least to me), but since I went to the trouble..

<font face="courier new,courier" size="2">Question 39: Which of the following statements correctly describe the code below?

public class ClassLoadingTestCode
    {
    1.  public static void main(String[ ] args)
           throws Exception
       {
            if (args.length < 1)
            {
                System.out.println("Usage: java ClassLoadingTestCode <class to run>");
                System.exit(-1);
            }

Class myclass = Class.forName(args[0]);
            Object myobject = myclass.newinstance();
            java.lang.reflect.Method[ ] methods = myclass.getMethods();
            for (int i=0; i<methods.length; i++)
            {
    2.          System.out.println("myName " + myclass.getName()
                  + "." + methods[i].getName();
       }
    }

public class Test
        implements Runnable
    {
        public void run()
        {
    3.      System.out.println("Test 1!");
        }
    }

A. If the arguments to ClassLoadingTestCode from Line 1 are "Test", then the line "myName ClassLoader.main" from line 2 will appear in the output of ClassLoadingTestCode.
    B. If the arguments to ClassLoadingTestCode from Line 1 are "Test", then the line "myName ClassLoader.run" from line 2 will appear in the output of ClassLoadingTestCode.
    C. If the arguments to ClassLoadingTestCode from Line 1 are "Test", then the line "Test 1" from line 3 will appear in the output of ClassLoadingTestCode.
    D. If the arguments to ClassLoadingTestCode from Line 1 are "Test", then the line "myName ClassLoader.wait" from line 2 will appear in the output of ClassLoadingTestCode.
    E. If the arguments to ClassLoadingTestCode from Line 1 are "Test", then the line "myName Test.main" from line 2 will appear in the output of ClassLoadingTestCode.</font>

I guess it's a trick question. You should leave all the checkboxes empty.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@danixdefcon5 said:

Thank you.  I was too lazy to dig through CS's fugly HTML but I figured it was something like that. 

You must not be using FF; the "View selection source" option on the right-click context menu makes it trivially easy to find the relevant bit of source by highlighting the area just before and after a missing image (or any other point on the page where something's not rendered right for any reason).  No digging required!

•  @DaveK said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@danixdefcon5 said:

You must not be using FF; the "View selection source" option on the right-click context menu makes it trivially easy to find the relevant bit of source by highlighting the area just before and after a missing image (or any other point on the page where something's not rendered right for any reason).  No digging required!

you must be knew here to not realize that morbius would never use anything other than IE

• @Kazan said:

you must be knew here to not realize that morbius would never use anything other than IE

Oh yes, I forgot that anyone who doesn't agree with your ridiculous viewpoints must be a 'MS fanboi'!

Clearly morbius, who writes PHP to be run on linux machines all day, must be a 'MS fanboi'.

BTW - Do you read your posts before clicking the post button? You sound like a fucking idiot when you make butchered posts like this.

• @Kazan said:

HA HA HA HA HA.  God you crack me up, you ridiculous little moron. 

• @DaveK said:

You significantly underestimate the magnitude of my laziness and the deep grudge I hold against CS's markup. 

•  Unfortunately - you HAVE TO select atleast one answer. Ofcourse, you get negative marking for selecting a wrong answer.

• @f4c4d3 said:

Unfortunately - you HAVE TO select atleast one answer. Ofcourse, you get negative marking for selecting a wrong answer.

Do you get marked down for not using the shift key?

•  I'm not a Java developer, but answer E looks correct to me. What am I missing?

• @fourchan said:

I'm not a Java developer, but answer E looks correct to me. What am I missing?

That there is no main() method.

• Sigh. This is simple. Simply mark 'C', and annotate it with, "This is the closest answer. But it's wrong, for several reasons. -3 points - and if your test misses any more, you're all fired as prospective coworkers.

• @mxsscott said:

@fourchan said:

Oh, right, it's called "run". Smart you. Silly me.

• @mxsscott said:

@fourchan said:

There is no spoon.

• Aside from "it doesn't compile," ...  after a few minor and obvious (in the IDE ;-) syntax corrections, I get this output:

myName run
    myName wait
    myName wait
    myName wait
    myName hashCode
    myName getClass
    myName equals
    myName toString
    myName notify
    myName notifyAll

• Heh, it is sorta funny that they would make that mistake in their test, but it's certainly far from rare. Whenever I've written up a question for a test (pretty rarely) I've always ran the code and made sure the output was actually what I thought it would be.

Seems a tad stupid to not at least go to that trouble. But I guess it wouldn't make the sidebar if it was intelligent :P

• @bullestock said:

CBT? As in http://tinyurl.com/23cr44?

You know, you might want to put up a <font color="#cc0000" size="7">NSFW</font>if you're going to post stuff like this.

• @morbiuswilters said:

You know, you might want to put up a <font size="7" color="#cc0000">NSFW</font>if you're going to post stuff like this.

Now I'm tempted to visit that link.

• @dev3 said:

@morbiuswilters said:

You know, you might want to put up a <font size="7" color="#cc0000">NSFW</font>if you're going to post stuff like this.

Now I'm tempted to visit that link.

My work here is done.

• @bullestock said:

My work here is done.

Well done. We've established that your job is to convince everyone you're an idiot. Great job! 

If you continue posting NSFW links, it's considered common courtesy to indicate you're doing so. It's extremely useful to people who actually have jobs. (Oops! I think I figured out why you didn't know you should flag them as NSFW. Sorry to out you in public.) 

• @Jeff Grigg said:

Aside from "it doesn't compile," ...  after a few minor and obvious (in the IDE ;-) syntax corrections, I get this output:

myName run
    myName wait
    myName wait
    myName wait
    myName hashCode
    myName getClass
    myName equals
    myName toString
    myName notify
    myName notifyAll

That's strange, after fixing the errors you should have gotten

myName Test.run
    myName Test.wait
    myName Test.wait
    myName Test.wait
    myName Test.hashCode
    myName Test.getClass
    myName Test.equals
    myName Test.toString
    myName Test.notify
    myName Test.notifyAll

• Oops!  Sorry; you're right.

(I did it in a package, and accidently edited "Test" out of the output while removing the package name.  Sorry!  ;-)