New here, have a stupid question

• Okay, this seems really stupid, but where do the submissions come from?  I got as far as a specific person posts the article itself, but there will be a reference in there such as "George wrote..."  Did these bold people post their findings out here in the forum, and then some higher up pushes it to the front page?

• On the front page there is a link called "Submit your WTF", in blue letters on a yellowish background. The link is at the top of the left sidebar, right below the header for the page. Click that and it takes you to a submission page, which is where WTFs come from.

• @Welbog said:

which is where WTFs come from
    No, this is where WTFs come from.

• @bstorer said:

@Welbog said:
    Oh yeah, I totally remember getting that TCP/IP book next month.

• @bstorer said:

@Welbog said:
    Oh, god... this almost makes those "Teach yourself X in 30 days..." books look intelligent.  Maybe they mean 24 hours worth of reading...?  What self-respecting publisher would put crap like this out?

•  I'll just ask here, instead of creating a new thread if you don't mind:

Is there some sort of limit on the number of characters a submission can have? Because I tried to send one and ended up with this (in red, on top of the submissions page):

System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Failure sending mail. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress) at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP) at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.ServicePoint.GetConnection(PooledStream PooledStream, Object owner, Boolean async, IPAddress& address, Socket& abortSocket, Socket& abortSocket6, Int32 timeout) at System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object owningObject, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback) at System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object owningObject, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback) at System.Net.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Object owningObject, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback, Int32 creationTimeout) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.GetConnection(String host, Int32 port) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) at Wtf.Common.EmailHelper.SendMail(MailMessage msg) in c:\BMTEMP\3\_S9\SRC\Wtf.Common\EmailHelper.cs:line 48 at ASP.contact_aspx.SubmitButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

I was thinking about the "system lacks sufficient buffer space" part? My submission is 3200 characters.

• @Methuselah said:

I'll just ask here, instead of creating a new thread if you don't mind:

At the end of the error message, there is a message asking you to contact Alex by email if there is a problem. 

I would recommend trying this.