A fantastic career awaits in a dead-end unsupport langage :P

• :belt_onion:

@ammoQ said:

In many cases, they will not bother with upgrading the program, but start a project to do a complete rewrite

Upgrading the program preserves all the business knowledge that has been built up in the past 10 years and is now stored within the application. A re-write is a huge risk.

The business people have to choose between either paying for an upgrade, either paying the longer development time for new features, longer bugfixing time and possible lost sales if a client decides he doesn't want to wait anymore for that long anticipated change. The risk of using an unsupported language/runtime can also be expressed in $ and €.

• @bstorer said:

@ammoQ said:
    I'm sure most of you also know that quite a lot of software is still written in Cobol, software that is in some cases older than most of us are.
    And the Y2K thing is an excellent example of how you always pay in the end. Think of all the money paid out to drag COBOL programmers out of retirement to bring those systems up-to-date. When your platform becomes obsolete, everything to do with it becomes rare, and subsequently more expensive.

At least in Europe, it's really hard to tell how expensive y2k really was. That's because in the same time as y2k, many local currencies were replaced by the €, so many programs dealing with money had to be adopted to support both currencies (old local currency and EUR) concurrently. Usualy, adopting software for y2k and eur was done in one project.

When your platform becomes obsolete, everything to do with it becomes rare, and subsequently more expensive.

In the long term, possibly yes. In the short term, your developers know VB6 better than VB.net, and retraining them takes time, money and at least for some time reduces productivity.

• @bjolling said:

Upgrading the program preserves all the business knowledge that has been built up in the past 10 years and is now stored within the application. A re-write is a huge risk.

True. But since the upgrading requires some work, there is still a risk that something is broken along the way. Keeping the old version alive is the most safe option.

• @ammoQ said:

In the long term, possibly yes. In the short term, your developers know VB6 better than VB.net, and retraining them takes time, money and at least for some time reduces productivity.
    No doubt, but that's my point again, isn't it? You cannot avoid the cost altogether, but good management is supposed to identify the point where it will cost the least.

• I sometimes use VB6. Of course VB6 has problems, some of which are fixed in VB.NET and some of which are broke more in VB.NET. But, one problem of VB.NET is that you have to register otherwise it stops in 30 days, it does that even if you download the express one that you don't have to pay. On my computer I don't use VB.NET but on someone's other computer I had to install it in order to do something but I couldn't fix the problem because it was Vista computer, which has too many problems (also I need a hotmail account for register, and I never received a validation on that hotmail account but for some reason it still worked anyways). I also don't know why you program in VB.NET anyways, if C#.NET should be a better way than VB.NET anyways. I think Forth is a better program language anyways. A Forth program can be anything, if you don't like one thing you can re-write it in Forth, like if you don't want THEN you want ENDIF instead you can do it like that : ENDIF POSTPONE THEN ; IMMEDIATE but in VB and C and C# and Python and everything else, it doesn't do like that.

• @zzo38 said:

But, one problem of VB.NET is that you have to register otherwise it stops in 30 days, it does that even if you download the express one that you don't have to pay.

WTF are you talking about?

@zzo38 said:

but I couldn't fix the problem because it was Vista computer, which has too many problems

IOW you couldn't figure out how to fix something so you just blame the operating system... how delightful.

@zzo38 said:

(also I need a hotmail account for register, and I never received a validation on that hotmail account but for some reason it still worked anyways).

Alright... so you cannot use email either? Just a regular bundle of fail, aren't you?

@zzo38 said:

I also don't know why you program in VB.NET anyways, if C#.NET should be a better way than VB.NET anyways.

Company requirements? Personal preference?

How is C# 'better'?

WTF are you talking about?

@zzo38 said:

I think Forth is a better program language anyways. A Forth program can be anything

Holy jesus... Are you on crack? You realize any language can make a program 'be anything' right?

@zzo38 said:

if you don't like one thing you can re-write it in Forth, like if you don't want THEN you want ENDIF instead you can do it like that : ENDIF POSTPONE THEN ; IMMEDIATE but in VB and C and C# and Python and everything else, it doesn't do like that.

Holy crap. I don't even know what to say to you.

With this post you just became dumber than spectate.

• @zzo38 said:

But, one problem of VB.NET is that you have to register otherwise it stops in 30 days, it does that even if you download the express one that you don't have to pay.
    Big deal. Registration takes about 2 minutes.
    @zzo38 said:
    (also I need a hotmail account for register,
    No you don't. I've got VB.NET Express on this machine right now, and I've never had a Hotmail account.
    @zzo38 said:
    I think Forth is a better program language anyways.
    Here we go again...
    @zzo38 said:
    A Forth program can be anything, if you don't like one thing you can re-write it in Forth, like if you don't want THEN you want ENDIF instead you can do it like that : ENDIF POSTPONE THEN ; IMMEDIATE
    This is not a reason to select a programming language.
    @zzo38 said:
    but in VB and C and C# and Python and everything else, it doesn't do like that.
    Does #define mean anything to you?

• :belt_onion:

@zzo38 said:

<wall of text>

MPS, bstorer... I'm not sure why you dignified this guy with a response. He can't be serious, can he...?

• @bjolling said:

@zzo38 said:

<wall of text>

MPS, bstorer... I'm not sure why you dignified this guy with a response. He can't be serious, can he...?

Sadly, he's 100% serious. I like to think that, deep down, there's a little SpectateSwamp in all of us, but zzo38 has way too much.

• @zzo38 said:

I sometimes use VB6.
    Friends don't let friends do VB6 ;)

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

Do you really think any large financial apps are really running on massive VB6 apps?

I use one.

Okay, it's not massive, but it's used to handle a lot of money. Yes, it is going to be replaced by a new version not written in VB6.

• @danixdefcon5 said:

@zzo38 said:

I sometimes use VB6.
    Friends don't let friends do VB6 ;)

Unfortunately bosses aren't friends and they sometimes dictate that you should use VB6.

At the moment I am trying to decipher and verify a VB6 program, so I have spent some time re-learning its joys. Fortunately my work has been cut short as this project uses a (lame) OCX that requires a developer license in order for the exe to be compiled. So I am using that as an excuse for putting the work off!