Projects that fail...

• Hi!

I am doing research for a book on the failure of software projects. This isn't a study of any particular project management methodologies or development styles, but trying to capture a wide range of different experiences from developers, project managers and customers. If you've ever been part of a failed software project I would love to hear your story. All stories (if used) will be anonymized.

If you're interested, send me an email: softwarefail@gmail.com

Thanks for any help you can give me.

• I've heard of a good website with tons of stories about failed software. I believe it's called The Daily WTF, google for it.

• Bonus! I've heard that The Daily WTF has already anonymized most of its stories. Sounds like just the site softwarefail needs. Assuming, of course, that its software doesn't fail...

• I wouldn't collect TDWTF stories directly into a book, though, I would try to contact the people originally involved in the stories. I would do this by, oh, posting in the forums where most people would see it. Or, alternatively mail Alex and see if he could put a small notice in the next article.

•  Nominated for this month's "plz send me teh codez" award.

• @DOA said:

Nominated for this month's "plz send me teh codez" award.

seconded

• Hi!  I'm doing a research project to find out how stupid some people really are.  Usually, I get stupid people to give me free shit that I repackage and sell.  This time I'm skipping some steps and just asking for people to mail me a check.  Thanks, my bank account really appreciates it. 

• @Digitalbath said:

Hi!  I'm doing a research project to find out how stupid some people really are.  Usually, I get stupid people to give me free shit that I repackage and sell.  This time I'm skipping some steps and just asking for people to mail me a check.  Thanks, my bank account really appreciates it. 

lawl!

•  @Sunstorm said:

I've heard of a good website with tons of stories about failed software. I believe it's called The Daily WTF, google for it.

Hey what's the url for this website?

• Wow, you guys are a bunch of dicks and morons.  Other than the fact that this is posted in the wrong forum (should be GD), what precisely is wrong with it?  The OP can't just rip off the stories on here because that would be copyright infringement.  He did the right thing by posting here, looking for people to help him with his book.

And what the fuck else is he going to do?  Guess what, assholes, you're on a site that brings in (some) money by using anonymized stories of tech failures.  The guy was just looking for people to provide case studies for his book and you jump on him like he's trying to profiteer off of you or something.  I think it was quite reasonable to post this here and I hope that some people give him stories to use.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Wow, you guys are a bunch of dicks and morons.  Other than the fact that this is posted in the wrong forum (should be GD), what precisely is wrong with it?  The OP can't just rip off the stories on here because that would be copyright infringement.  He did the right thing by posting here, looking for people to help him with his book.

And what the fuck else is he going to do?  Guess what, assholes, you're on a site that brings in (some) money by using anonymized stories of tech failures.  The guy was just looking for people to provide case studies for his book and you jump on him like he's trying to profiteer off of you or something.  I think it was quite reasonable to post this here and I hope that some people give him stories to use.

Yeah really, and most of the people flaming him are the ones that call me a troll.

• @softwarefail said:

Hi!

I am doing research for a book on the failure of software projects. This isn't a study of any particular project management methodologies or development styles, but trying to capture a wide range of different experiences from developers, project managers and customers. If you've ever been part of a failed software project I would love to hear your story. All stories (if used) will be anonymized.

If you're interested, send me an email: softwarefail@gmail.com

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sorry, we don't know anything about failure on this site.  Now, if you're looking for things that are worse than failure... 

P.S. morbiuswilters and MPS defending the OP, and everyone else ragging on him?  What is this, opposite day?

P.P.S. MPS, is there anyone on this site who hasn't called you a troll?

• @cconroy said:

P.S. morbiuswilters and MPS defending the OP, and everyone else ragging on him?  What is this, opposite day?

P.P.S. MPS, is there anyone on this site who *hasn't* called you a troll?

Way to troll.

• @cconroy said:

The OP had a sensible request and the retard gallery chimed in with their usual nonsense.  I don't attack OPs, anyway, I attack stupid people.  Perhaps you would have noticed that the morons I flamed in this thread are the posters who make the worthless OPs in the first place.  It's not a coincidence, it's because people like DOA and Kazan are incapable of saying an intelligent or true word if their life depended on it.

• @morbiuswilters said:

The OP had a sensible request and the retard gallery chimed in with their usual nonsense.

The OP had a sensible request - but phrased it in a manner which invited childishness.  Doing that on this site - well, there's a number of childish people here who come here to bitch about things...

If the OP had instead indicated in his post that there are a number of good stories on this site - but he needs their author's permission to use, so could anyone with such stories mail him, then there probably would have been many fewer flame emails. As has been pointed out by a great many people before me, how you say something is as important as what you say.

For what it's worth, I'm currently under an NDA for the software failure stories that I am closest to, so my ability to contribute usefully is limited.

• @tgape said:

my ability to contribute usefully is limited.

Yes. We have noticed.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@tgape said:

phrased it in a manner which invited childishness.

@tgape said:

my ability to contribute usefully is limited.

Yes. We have noticed.

Touché!

(that's French for "you got pwned")

• @tgape said:

For what it's worth, I'm currently under an NDA for the software failure stories that I am closest to, so my ability to contribute usefully is limited.

I sometimes wonder if the financial sector motivation for NDA's. It should be for security reasons, but after some first-hand experiences, I think it's really about saving face, as they sometimes have WTFs of epic proportions. If word of even a fraction of these WTFs got out, the involved bank would get a bank run!