Web 0.2

• To go along with all that is Holy and Web 2.0, here is the update to Web 0.1! It's so "2.0" as my company's newsletter would say!

Snapter

To celebrate, I've tossed my old wooden table and upgraded to a Formica kitchen island.

• Seems pretty useful, actually. It'd be a WTF if they advertised it as a serious alternative to a scanner, but they seem to be pushing it as mobile scanning. It looks like it does what I've done in GIMP before when I needed to keep a copy of something and give it to someone else.

Reading the rest of the page though, it does seem pretty danged picky about how you take the picture.

• @joemck said:

Seems pretty useful, actually. It'd be a WTF if they advertised it as a serious alternative to a scanner, but they seem to be pushing it as mobile scanning. It looks like it does what I've done in GIMP before when I needed to keep a copy of something and give it to someone else.

Reading the rest of the page though, it does seem pretty danged picky about how you take the picture.

It does look useful. I'd think most of the pickiness could have been alleviated with a simple marquee to define the object borders - possibly as an 'advanced' option. This looks like another case of excessive 'user-friendliness' actually detracting from the usefulness of a product.

• @joemck said:

Slightly picky about books, but the rest isn't really something to frown at.

• @dhromed said:

@joemck said:

Slightly picky about books, but the rest isn't really something to frown at.

Musta been programmed by the truck driver from that Nashville Waffle house in that Bill Hicks sketch: 

@redneck said:

Boys..?  Looks like'n we got ourselves a reader...

• Call me when it can take a video of a book and let you type in the frame to index the start of each page.  THEN you will have a program worthy of my time.

• The odd part for books is that "fingers on the side" are okay, but not on the top or bottom. Seems like they should be able to account for it either both ways or neither.

• I'm guessing they use the bottom edge to determine the curvature of the page.  The left/right edges are assumed to be straight, so fingers there don't matter.  It looks like they couldn't figure out how to correct for off-angle and curvature simultaneously.

It does have some value.  If you have a camera with 3300 pixels on the long side, that's 300 dpi for an 11 inch view.  Around an 8 Mp camera.