MSNBC == WTF

•  I was on MSNBC.com the other morning looking for something, cant quite recall when I ran across the following graphic tracking the stock market for the day. I guess stocks arent numerical any longer?

•  I thought maybe the WTG would be the red banner reporting that new home sales had dropped.

Perhaps one of the worst secondary effects of 9/11 is the advent of scroll bars and breaking news alerts on the major networks.

• @taylonr said:

Perhaps one of the worst secondary effects of 9/11 is the advent of scroll bars and breaking news alerts on the major networks.

I'm pretty sure those existed before 9/11. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

@taylonr said:

I thought so too, but I remember reading somewhere that the scrolling bars were first used on 9/11.  I tried some googling to find it, but I keep getting links to various plug-in downloads.

• @morbiuswilters said:

HM THE QUEEN STILL WATCHING 'THE VIRGINIAN'

In other words, not very new. =) At least in Finland, we've had scrolling news announcements in case of major breaking news for... well, ages. It's just that they've never done that unless it's something really big and they have an extra news broadcast coming up. The only thing that's new in post-9/11 era is that everyone thinks scrolling messages are always supposed to be there.