When tech support knows they're out of their league...



  • Okay, so I'm having some issues with my laptop so I get online with Gateway tech support...Apparently my questions were over the head of the first tech:

    CWolves says:
    1) there's a problem with the CPU, L1, L2 cache or motherboard

    CWolves says:
    2) the primary USB controller is failing

    CWolves says:
    3) the power connection is loose

    Ingrid_GWPR007 has left the incident.

    Simon_GWPR007 has joined the incident.



  • @cwolves said:

    Okay, so I'm having some issues with my laptop so I get online with Gateway tech support...Apparently my questions were over the head of the first tech:

    CWolves says:
    1) there's a problem with the CPU, L1, L2 cache or motherboard

    CWolves says:
    2) the primary USB controller is failing

    CWolves says:
    3) the power connection is loose

    Ingrid_GWPR007 has left the incident.

    Simon_GWPR007 has joined the incident.

    He was planning on asking you 30 questions before he could even begin to understand what was wrong.
    You foiled his plan by giving him too much information up front.
    So, they had to get somebody who was trained to deal with a user that actually knows stuff.





  • @cwolves said:

    Okay, so I'm having some issues with my laptop so I get online with Gateway tech support...Apparently my questions were over the head of the first tech:

    CWolves says:
    1) there's a problem with the CPU, L1, L2 cache or motherboard

    CWolves says:
    2) the primary USB controller is failing

    CWolves says:
    3) the power connection is loose

    Ingrid_GWPR007 has left the incident.

    Simon_GWPR007 has joined the incident.

    Actually, they knew they were out of their league before you even typed the first character ... their clue was that someone was contacting them.



  • @rbriem said:

    Actually, they knew they were out of their league before you even typed the first character ... their clue was that someone was contacting them.



    It's not unique to them, either.  I had to deal with Dell tech suppot a while back.  Eliza would have been more helpful, at least I might have learned something about myself.
    -FM



  • @FunnyMan said:

    @rbriem said:

    Actually, they knew they were out of their league before you even typed the first character ... their clue was that someone was contacting them.



    It's not unique to them, either.  I had to deal with Dell tech suppot a while back.  Eliza would have been more helpful, at least I might have learned something about myself.
    -FM

    I've called tech support (ISP, Oracle, VMS, HP, Sybase, etc.) about a dozen times ... I've gotten usable answers *maybe* 3 times (those were from my ISP). It's a universal problem.

    (But this never happened when *I* was in tech support, by gum! We had *all* the answers back in those days. Yep, tech support is goin' to HELL IN A HANDBASKET, I tell ya'.)


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.