Brillant is her name.



  • Everytime someone brings this up I want to puke. Paula Brillant was not
    calling herself bright. Brillant is her name. Her name is not Paula
    Bean either, she refactored a JavaBean called HelloWorldBean into
    PaulaBean. Inside, she assigns the variable 'paula' her last name. Not
    a mispelling of brilliant, but her last name. It's not even an uncommon
    name! You are the WTF. Yes, that's right, you.



  • Are you Paula Bean Brillant?

    Brillant!



  • I for one have been glad to see the 'Brillant!11!!' comments slowly disappearing from the forums. Am I the only one to smell the nasty whiff of sexism about the whole thing? I mean, her case doesn't even come close to the worst WTFery we've seen on these boards, yet she is easily the most referred to, the most quoted, and the most mocked.

    Her only mistake was to get a job typically the reserve of men, and not take it seriously. Big deal. Time to hang up your 'Brillant' signatures and think of something original.



  • The point is to use your name (first or last) as variable name. Not the
    best thing to do. Next step is to add some personnal numbers like your
    birthyear, ... paula1969 sounds great!



  • @murphyman said:

    I for one have been glad to see the
    'Brillant!11!!' comments slowly disappearing from the forums. Am I the
    only one to smell the nasty whiff of sexism about the whole thing? I
    mean, her case doesn't even come close to the worst WTFery we've seen
    on these boards, yet she is easily the most referred to, the most
    quoted, and the most mocked.

    Her only mistake was to get a job typically the reserve of men, and not take it seriously. Big deal.




    Umm... no. The gender of the person in question had NOTHING to do with
    it. It would have been exactly as WTF-worthy and exactly as
    well-remembered if a male programmer had, after 3 months work, nothing
    more to show for it than a Hello World program in which he called
    himself brilliant... and misspelled it.



  • @murphyman said:

    I for one have been glad to see the 'Brillant!11!!' comments slowly disappearing from the forums. Am I the only one to smell the nasty whiff of sexism about the whole thing? I mean, her case doesn't even come close to the worst WTFery we've seen on these boards, yet she is easily the most referred to, the most quoted, and the most mocked.

    Her only mistake was to get a job typically the reserve of men, and not take it seriously. Big deal. Time to hang up your 'Brillant' signatures and think of something original.


    You're the only one who has brought up gender so I question whether perhaps you are focused on it; I see the whole debacle as a case of awful management and someone who lied to get a job. Perhaps in your quest to push equality in all facets of life, you're overcompensating to the point of being annoying.

    sincerely,
    Richard Nixon



  • @murphyman said:

    Am I the only one to smell the nasty whiff of sexism about the whole thing?


    I guess so: you seem to be the only one. I don't see any sexism on it: there are lots of WTFs that are cited and referred to in comments. The "Brillant" one is only one of them.



  • @ehabkost said:

    @murphyman said:
    Am I the only one to smell the nasty whiff of sexism about the whole thing?


    I guess so: you seem to be the only one. I don't see any sexism on it: there are lots of WTFs that are cited and referred to in comments. The "Brillant" one is only one of them.

    Yeah... isTrue is pretty common too.



  • @Isuwen said:

    Brillant is her name.




    Bree - lah - en - tee - yo, and Brillant was her name-oh!



    :)



  • @Isuwen said:

    Everytime someone brings this up I want to puke. Paula Brillant was not calling herself bright. Brillant is her name. Her name is not Paula Bean either, she refactored a JavaBean called HelloWorldBean into PaulaBean. Inside, she assigns the variable 'paula' her last name. Not a mispelling of brilliant, but her last name. It's not even an uncommon name! You are the WTF. Yes, that's right, you.

    "refactored"???

    Bwahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

    Go back to the kiddie table.

    ( And yes, it's getting a little tired. But AFAIK, it's only *possible* that her last name was Brillant. Since I don't know her (but apparently you do), I'll have to take your word that her last name isn't "Bean" (could be!).)

     


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.