Another television show screwing up an IP address. [LAW & ORDER]

• Oh god,

The 100.1 Dalmations

That could get alittle messy. 

• @Random832 said:

@KattMan said:

Yes in common usage, or do you still want to fail at the fact I keep saying that grammatically mine is correct, but in common usage no one follows that rule.

Citation needed. No evidence has been provided for the existence of such a rule.

Here's what the Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation says about writing large figures:

Rule 7.       When writing out large numbers of five or more digits before the decimal point, use a comma where the comma would appear in the figure format. Use the word and only where the decimal point appears in the figure format.

Examples:

$15,768.13: Fifteen thousand, seven hundred sixty-eight dollars and thirteen cents

$1054.21: One thousand fifty-four dollars and twenty-one cents

Note: The comma is now commonly omitted in four-digit whole numbers.

So if you are writing a check from your bank account, you may want to make sure you are precise in how you use the word "and" (between the dollars and cents) or risk the bank making an order of magnitude error when processing your check.

However:

The Ask Dr. Math - Math Forum found that the usage of "and" in numbers differs by region and reference.

The Annals of Improbable Research sparked debate over the issue in the July 2001 issue of their mini-AIR newsletter.

But then again, the arbitrary rules of grammar have always clashed with the common use of a language. I suppose it depends on whether you are writing some academic treatise or a letter to your grandma as to whether the rules are appropriate or not.

-- Long time lurker, first time poster --

• @cataclysm said:

OK -- I'll bite, as my 'nazi' nazi reflex kicks in. 

If the 'and' implied a decimal place, then 'Three thousand and forty-two' would be 3004.2 or maybe 3040.2, but most likely 3042.

"Fourty two" is not a valid way of expressing a decimal fraction, as the 'fourty' has an implied decimal place. Three thousand point four two is recognised worldwide.

Huh. And here I thought a nazi would have spelled this Dreitausendundzweiundvierzig or something.

• @Hitsuji said:

These days though we have been seing some malformed ways of specifing currency values. e.g. one fifty, meaning either 150 euro or 1.50 euro, depending on context. where it context can be ambiguous it is then polite to go with the more traditional form.

Cue debate over "150 euro" v. "150 euros" (both of which have support from different entities within the EUrocracy...)

• @silverpie said:

@Hitsuji said:

These days though we have been seing some malformed ways of specifing currency values. e.g. one fifty, meaning either 150 euro or 1.50 euro, depending on context. where it context can be ambiguous it is then polite to go with the more traditional form.

Cue debate over "150 euro" v. "150 euros" (both of which have support from different entities within the EUrocracy...)

Yeah, that "ten Euro" business is effete horsecrap. Similarly, I hear people in the US say "one pair, two pair" etc. and it grates on my nerves. There is a plural form of the word "pair" and it's not irregular. Some dipwad told me "it's 'pair' because the word's always plural on its own" and "dozen is the same way," but I'm not buying it. "Dozens" just has two many consonants in quick succession to be useful... like "fishes."

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@silverpie said:

Cue debate over "150 euro" v. "150 euros"

This is in reply to a thread that's 5 years old.

I think you missed your cue.

• @Zemm said:

Back ontopic I agree that IPv4 IP addresses shown on TV/movies should have the first octet starting with a number between 256 and 999, just to avoid collisions with "real" IPs.

Or, you know, use an address in the ranges reserved specifically for that purpose.

• Law and Order IP address thread.

Rise.

• @KattMan said:

Three thousand and forty-two would be 3000.42

The "and" implies a decimal point in American English at least; though I know only a few people that understand this.

I'm pretty old and have lived in the U.S. my entire life.  I have never once heard anyone use "and" to signify a decimal point.  Never.  I have always understood "three thousand and forty two" to simply be an overly verbose and slightly retarded way of saying three thousand forty two.

• @El_Heffe said:

@KattMan said:

The "and" implies a decimal point in American English at least; though I know only a few people that understand this.

I'm pretty old and have lived in the U.S. my entire life.  I have never once heard anyone use "and" to signify a decimal point.  Never.  I have always understood "three thousand and forty two" to simply be an overly verbose and slightly retarded way of saying three thousand forty two.

I remember this being harped on when I was a young 'un many years back first learning about decimals. I've not always followed it, but it was most definitely a part of my base education on decimals.

• three thousand and forty-two -> 3,042

three thousand point four two -> 3,000.42

three thousand and forty-two hundredths -> 3,000.42

three thousand dollars and forty-two cents -> $3,000.42

• @nonpartisan said:

@El_Heffe said:

@KattMan said:

I remember this being harped on when I was a young 'un many years back first learning about decimals. I've not always followed it, but it was most definitely a part of my base education on decimals.

I remember it being harped on, too, but I don't know why. If you're the kind of person who would correct somebody for saying "three-thousand and forty-two" or who would think they meant "3000.42" then you should have the language centers of your brain lobotomized so you can stop making the rest of us miserable with your severe communication problems.

I still use "and" as a decimal separator when filling out checks, though. (Cue the Europeans bragging about how they haven't used checks in 20 years and how they all transfer money with, like, telepathy or some shit. You know, whatever money their banks/governments have decided to not confiscate..)

• @morbiuswilters said:

transfer money with, like, telepathy or some shit

If I don't speak to anyone, and it's all electrical impulses... then isn't it?

@morbiuswilters said:

ou know, whatever money their banks/governments have decided to not confiscate..

Yeah, but it's compensated for with the free money.

brb editing post about scrolling cock

• @dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

transfer money with, like, telepathy or some shit

If I don't speak to anyone, and it's all electrical impulses... then isn't it?

Fine, but that means your sex life is telepathic, too.

@dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

ou know, whatever money their banks/governments have decided to not confiscate..

Yeah, but it's compensated for with the free money.

That's like a victim of sexual assault bragging about the free rape kit they got.

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to drag your sex life into it again.

• @MiffTheFox said:

three thousand and forty-two -> 3,042

three thousand point four two -> 3,000.42

three thousand and forty-two hundredths -> 3,000.42

three thousand dollars and forty-two cents -> $3,000.42

That's how I always understood it since I was old enough to understand numbers.  What makes the idea of "and" meaning "decimal point" so weird is that the word "and" is almost always understood to be the same as "plus". (almost always - pedantic dickweeds go away).   For example, one and one equals two.  I don't know of anyone who would ever say that "one and one equals 1.1"

So saying "three thousand and forty two" is the same as saying "three thousand plus forty two".  I'm not saying that some people weren't taught that "and" means "decimal point", but it's just very weird and I don't understand the reasoning behind it. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

HE'S BACK

• @morbiuswilters said:

That's like a victim of sexual assault bragging about the free rape kit they got.

Fuck off.

It was free.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Fine, but that means your sex life is telepathic, too.

No, he only thought that.

• @El_Heffe said:

That's how I always understood it since I was old enough to understand numbers.  What makes the idea of "and" meaning "decimal point" so weird is that the word "and" is almost always understood to be the same as "plus". (almost always - pedantic dickweeds go away).   For example, one and one equals two.  I don't know of anyone who would ever say that "one and one equals 1.1"

So saying "three thousand and forty two" is the same as saying "three thousand plus forty two".  I'm not saying that some people weren't taught that "and" means "decimal
    point", but it's just very weird and I don't understand the reasoning
    behind it. 

Spanish (at least at the basic level) doesn't even have a word for plus. "2 + 3 = 5" would be read as "two and three are five". (If I get this wrong keep in mind I suck at Spanish.)

Also, I've never had to write a check (it's cheaper on the whole for me to just get cashier's checks from the bank instead of ordering a checkbook), but the style I learned was to write "Three Thousand and 42/100", read out as "Three Thousand and Fourty-Two Hundredths", as I exampled above.

• @MiffTheFox said:

Spanish (at least at the basic level) doesn't even have a word for plus. "2 + 3 = 5" would be read as "two and three are five". (If I get this wrong keep in mind I suck at Spanish.)

How do you tell the difference between the operation 3 & 2 (result = 3) and 3 + 2 (result = 5) and 3, 2 (result = 2)?

• I'm not entirely sure, but presumably there's more precise terms when you get to higher levels of math or programming when there's a difference between + and &.

• @MiffTheFox said:

"Más" means plus (and also more).

Also, "&" (binary AND) and "and" (putting two things together) are not really the same concept.

• @spamcourt said:

Also, "&" (binary AND) and "and" (putting two things together) are not really the same concept.
    I keep getting ticked off at whoever it was decided you needed two ampersands for Boolean and only one for bitwise.  Maybe it's my PL/1 upbringing that makes that choice especially galling.

• @da Doctah said:

@spamcourt said:

I keep getting ticked off at whoever it was decided you needed two ampersands for Boolean and only one for bitwise.  Maybe it's my PL/1 upbringing that makes that choice especially galling.

&& is short-circuiting and, not boolean and. Either one works for booleans. You just can't use if x != nil & x.y > 7, but that's not because you're working with booleans.

• @morbiuswilters said:

I remember it being harped on, too, but I don't know why. If you're the kind of person who would correct somebody for saying "three-thousand and forty-two" or who would think they meant "3000.42" then you should have the language centers of your brain lobotomized so you can stop making the rest of us miserable with your severe communication problems.
    Never said I corrected anyone for it, just that this is how, indeed, it was taught oh so long ago.  No idea whether they still teach it this way or not.

• @morbiuswilters said:

three-thousand and forty-two

(3-1000)&(40-2)

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Fuck off.

It was free.

TANSTAAFRK

• @KattMan said:

How to make this sound as bad as I can? This is my yearly grammer nazi post... be happy you are my target, feel lucky even!

The ironic thing is the misspelling of the word "grammar".

• @Lorne Kates said:

@silverpie said:

Cue debate over "150 euro" v. "150 euros"

This is in reply to a thread that's 5 years old.

I think you missed your cue.

Hey don't hate on the necroposters, they keep things going when there's nothing new to discuss.

• @Charleh said:

@KattMan said:

How to make this sound as bad as I can? This is my yearly grammer nazi post... be happy you are my target, feel lucky even!

The ironic thing is the misspelling of the word "grammar".

You forgot "Muphry's Law".

• @belgariontheking said:

@stratos said:
    Also in lotr it was that hobbits, one-hundredth and eleventh birthday. Not sure if tolkien was big on languages or even cared, but i can at least remember that line from the movie.
    Tolkein was big on languages, and cared about them long before he started writing LOTR.

Also, in the book, there was a bit about it being his "eleventy-first" birthday, but the movies didn't mention it.

Whoosh...

@GettinSadda said:

@stratos said:
    ... Not sure if tolkien was big on languages or even cared...
    I'm sorry, but I just couldn't let that one go unchallenged!

@http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien#Languages_and_philology said:

Double whoosh...

•  @AssimilatedByBorg said:

As a bilingual English-French person, this drives me nuts, because in French, "and" always (at least, as I learned it) means decimal.
    Not that I know of, unless you're speaking of Canadian French or something the like.