I'm FREE! (and unemployed)


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    Today, I was fired from my latest wtf-job. Why was I fired? Apparently I wasn't productive enough. My project was finished and online - the customer simply never got back to my bosses about approval and my contract states that I'm not going to start work on anything new until I have cash in hand for what I've already finished.

    Whatever. I don't care. I'm done with web-dev. This series of junk "developers" giving me junk pay and junk jobs and then being arses about actually getting around to paying me has ruined that whole industry. At present, the previous 3 web firms I've worked for have shafted me to the tune of over $8000 combined.

    I'll never write another page of PHP for less than $200/hr. I'll never write another auth-required app that doesn't use HTTPS because the boss is too cheap to buy the SSL option on their webhost.

    I came straight home today and installed all my dev tools for the things I actually enjoy. I've had VS2k8 Pro sitting here in the god damned box for months now, and never installed it because all my coding time was spent screaming at PHP for being so fucking useless.

    I booted up my SVN server. Installed Eclipse. Installed my Freescale stuff. I'm going to start knocking off the entries on the "cool things I want to write" list - just because I can.

    This is what I enjoy - .NET desktop apps, Java web apps, and ridiculous embedded junk. I like to hack - to tinker - to write useful things. I don't like taking some wanker artist's vision of a great website, which all my training and experience tells me is the most horrible interface in the history of the universe, hacking it apart, stringing it together with little snippets of PHP, and writing the same god damned admin interface over and over again.

    I don't know how I'm going to pay the god damned bills, and I really, really don't care. I have a vacation coming up in 2 weeks - so when I get back from that, I'll have to give it some serious thought. Maybe a change in career until I can put together a portfolio that shows I'm not just a useless 1-trick PHP-tard - I'd rather work in a burrito shop than write another fucking half-baked CMS. But for now - I'm MY fucking programmer, and to hell with what everyone else wants. 



  •  You go girl!


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

     You're right - I do need a haircut.



  • Hear hear!  We engineers need to put our collective foot down more often.



  •  I like the sentiment. I'm stuck doing that very same PHP crap and I hope to be in your position soon. Although I'm guessing I'll be quiting instead of getting fired.



  • @DOA said:

    I'm stuck doing that very same PHP crap and I hope to be in your position soon.
     

    Really? I cannot imagine why someone would hate using a template engine on top of a template language.... Fascinating.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    Really? I cannot imagine why someone would hate using a template engine on top of a template language.... Fascinating.
    Really? I cannot imagine why someone would drag random stuff from one thread forum to another.... Fascinating.



  • @DOA said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    Really? I cannot imagine why someone would hate using a template engine on top of a template language.... Fascinating.
    Really? I cannot imagine why someone would drag random stuff from one thread forum to another.... Fascinating.

     

    What can I say? You ridiculous ramblings are relevant in both threads.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    What can I say? You ridiculous ramblings are relevant in both threads.
    Are you going to subject us to your usual trolling or are you going to explain what makes them ridiculous?

    Oh, and congatulations and starting yet another flamewar on yet another thread. Do you ever do anything constructive?



  • @DOA said:

    starting yet another flamewar on yet another thread.
     

    What flamewar? I stated my opinion of why you might be leaving your company. You are the only one flaming here.

    @DOA said:

    are you going to explain what makes them ridiculous?

    I think the smarty thread is taking care of that just fine, thank you.



  • I think we just need to continually report this d-bag's trolling and hope that the mods finally have the balls to ban him.



  • @ObiWayneKenobi said:

    I think we just need to continually report this d-bag's trolling and hope that the mods finally have the balls to ban him.

    Agreed.  DOA has been a drag on this forum for far too long! 



  • @Weng said:


    I booted up my SVN server. Installed Eclipse. Installed my Freescale stuff. I'm going to start knocking off the entries on the "cool things I want to write" list - just because I can.

     

     

    Dont bother with that - go and get something like KSDK-STR912-PLUS and code some ARM embedded TCP/IP application to do Zigbee to TCP/IP

    The apply your good software eng. practices and skills in firmware design jobs........



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    @DOA said:

    are you going to explain what makes them ridiculous?

    I think the smarty thread is taking care of that just fine, thank you.

    So why did you bring this issue here? Not to mention I'm still waiting an answer on what makes my posts on this issue ridiculous.



  • @DOA said:

    So why did you bring this issue here?
     

    Because I feel it is relevant to your post above. I didn't 'bring this issue' here. I have not argued the issue with you here or there.

    @DOA said:

    Not to mention I'm still waiting an answer on what makes my posts on this issue ridiculous.

    Again, that is being taken care of in that thread, no need for the flamewar you are trying to start here. 



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    @DOA said:
    So why did you bring this issue here?
    Because I feel it is relevant to your post above. I didn't 'bring this issue' here. I have not argued the issue with you here or there.@DOA said:
    Not to mention I'm still waiting an answer on what makes my posts on this issue ridiculous.
    Again, that is being taken care of in that thread, no need for the flamewar you are trying to start here.
    So everything's settled then and we wont be seeing any more posts here on this matter from you. Good.



  • Thread locked.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.