Unit of Measurement WTF

• From an article in our office newsletter welcoming our new CIO (it dept around 100 bodies):

"He admits to falling in love with this first one gigabyte processor".

We're boned.

ps. I've verified that this was not just some editorial gaff. Actual quote, people.

• Head...

Desk...

SMACK!

• Possibly a mistake by whoever typed up the newsletter?  Seems more likely. 

•  I really should have moved that paper spike first.

This is the guy, btw who is taking over after the deputy cheif of police had the job (we're city govt) after the last REAL CIO was exposed as a moron who treated his employees like crap.

Movin' on up.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Possibly a mistake by whoever typed up the newsletter?  Seems more likely. 

I only wish. I did get it checked out and the original recording shows "one gigabyte processor".

• @henny said:

I only wish. I did get it checked out and the original recording shows "one gigabyte processor".

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. It may very well have been an unconscious slip up. Haven't you ever accidentally said something when you meant to say something else? This is rather amusing and possibly not the greatest start for a new CIO, but I can see how this could happen even to the experts.

Unfortunately the human brain is not perfect. 

• I still find it easier to believe it's another case of some computer illiterate person taking the role of CIO. This one has a lot of potential for WTF'ery.

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]

I still find it easier to believe it's another case of some computer illiterate person taking the role of CIO. This one has a lot of potential for WTF'ery.

[/quote]

You find it easier to believe that someone completely incompetent took over a management role rather than that he simply misspoke?  I know lots of morons get into jobs they shouldn't have, but until we see absolute proof otherwise I tend to go with the simplest explanation.

•  I personally fell in love with my first 4 ghz of ram. No quack.

• @henny said:

"He admits to falling in love with this first one gigabyte processor".

That reminds me of an article someone posted on a BBS that was talking about the 8 Gigawatt iPhone. As a plus, the article was from a Spanish (from Spain) source, the only guys who dare transalte watts into vatios. (This "translation", by the way, make me crack up on other people that think VA stands for vatios (watts) when it actually stands for volts-amperes, but that's another story.)

• @danixdefcon5 said:

(This "translation", by the way, make me crack up on other people that think VA stands for vatios (watts) when it actually stands for volts-amperes, but that's another story.)

Well, considering W == VA (pretty standard if you don't care much about power factor), it really shouldn't be an issue.

It is pretty common to just change the unit of VA to W and vice versa as needed.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@danixdefcon5 said:

(This "translation", by the way, make me crack up on other people that think VA stands for vatios (watts) when it actually stands for volts-amperes, but that's another story.)

Well, considering W == VA (pretty standard if you don't care much about power factor), it really shouldn't be an issue.

It is pretty common to just change the unit of VA to W and vice versa as needed.

True. But the guy confusing "vatios" with VA was doing so precisely when choosing the correct VA rating for a UPS, where power factor is an issue. We went to the safe side and assumed 60% efficiency for the PSU, and it worked.

•  Maybe it has a gigabyte data dus instead of 32 or 64 bits ? 

• You all missed the real WTF: processorophilia.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>

Apparently it is if you're a UPS manufacturer.  Gotta love seeing those "650 VA" backups that actually support a 250 W load.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.