DMCA threatens Canada -- WE MUST ACT NOW

• [url]http://digg.com/linux_unix/Stop_Canada_from_passing_US_style_restrictions_on_technology[/url][QUOTE]On Wednesday, Industry Minister Jim Prentice introduced a bill that BoingBoing's Cory Doctorow described as making it "flatly illegal to break any kind of digital lock, or to violate terms in one of those absurd end-user license agreements that make you promise to agree to let the record industry kick your teeth in and drink all your beer, just for the dubious privilege of paying for a song at iTunes or watching a video on Viacom's website.".[/QUOTE]

Really we need to fix this. FAST! Are you Canadian? Did you send the letter? I did already. Certainly the license in my new combination computer/game-console system my company will be selling must fix it, which prevents me from suing you for copying it privately and allows you to sue anyone who tries to sue you for this kind of copying that the DMCA is supposed to allow the author to sue you for such things. Now they can't! My new company will fix everything!

I also suggest a compromise: Simply disallow pure circumvention devices from being sold in retail stores (like disallowing pure police scanners). But still allow building your own, selling devices with multiple functions, using them for private usage (as long as you don't break other laws while doing so), mail-ordering them, etc.

•  @zzo38 said:

selling devices with multiple functions

So it's legal to sell a DVD copier thing, so long as you put a hole in the top and call it a cup holder?

@zzo38 said:

Certainly the license in my new combination computer/game-console system my company will be selling must fix it, which prevents me from suing you for copying it privately and allows you to sue anyone who tries to sue you for this kind of copying that the DMCA is supposed to allow the author to sue you for such things. Now they can't! My new company will fix everything!

This sentence parses correctly, but my brain is throwing compiler warnings because the semantics don't make sense.  What in the name of god are you trying to say here?

• @tster said:

@zzo38 said:

selling devices with multiple functions

So it's legal to sell a DVD copier thing, so long as you put a hole in the top and call it a cup holder?

That's one example, but not exactly what I meant. I meant something else. (This is a similar idea to making it legal to sell radios that pick up police band if they pick up other things as well, but you still can't use the police band for illegal things)

@tster said:

@zzo38 said:

Certainly the license in my new combination computer/game-console
    system my company will be selling must fix it, which prevents me from
    suing you for copying it privately and allows you to sue anyone who
    tries to sue you for this kind of copying that the DMCA is supposed to
    allow the author to sue you for such things. Now they can't! My new
    company will fix everything!

This sentence parses correctly, but my brain is throwing compiler warnings because the semantics don't make sense.  What in the name of god are you trying to say here?

Nothing.

(Also, the DMCA in general is unfair and you shouldn't be restricted from doing those things. You should only be restricted from doing what normal copyright restricts you from, but DMCA restricts from fair-use as well! That is why it is unfair!)

• @zzo38 said:

(This is a similar idea to making it legal to sell radios that pick up police band if they pick up other things as well, but you still can't use the police band for illegal things)

I don't think you understand how scanners work, your assertion here is 100% wrong. Find a new example.

• @tster said:

@zzo38 said:

Certainly the license in my new combination computer/game-console system my company will be selling must fix it, which prevents me from suing you for copying it privately and allows you to sue anyone who tries to sue you for this kind of copying that the DMCA is supposed to allow the author to sue you for such things. Now they can't! My new company will fix everything!

Indeed, zzo. Please elaborate... in English, not Canadian. (Isn't Swampy Canadian?)

• @Doctor Steel said:

Indeed, zzo. Please elaborate... in English, not Canadian. (Isn't Swampy Canadian?)

Couldn't you let this thread die the sad, slow death it deserves in peace and not ressurect it?

• Tonight it's colder than outside!

• @Doctor Steel said:

Unfortunately I am only Canadian and I have never been to England, and I can't always write clearly for other people to understand. However, this topic about the Canadian DMCA wouldn't concern you much if you aren't Canadian anyways.