TDWTF on Steam?

• Just as a general question, how many of us have and use Steam? I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to make a TDWTF Steam community.

For those who don't know of it, Steam is a game distribution and collaboration application produced by Valve (the creators of Half-Life, among other things). A Steam community is something Steam users can join to help them find each other in game.

•  Well, let me ask this. Is steam really good? I just don't/can't play games like i used to anymore because they all seem to suck now (don't know why they do)... I heard steam was good though.

• @Vechni said:

Well, let me ask this. Is steam really good? I just don't/can't play games like i used to anymore because they all seem to suck now (don't know why they do)... I heard steam was good though.

Well, that pretty much depends on your definition of "good". If you have a lot of Valve games, like I do, then it is in fact the only way to play them multiplayer. For that purpose, it is fantastic. One has a friends list integrated with Steam, and if a friend joins a game you can follow him into the game with just one click. The same applies for Steam communities, which are essentially alternate friends lists. Steam has integrated instant messages and voice chatting so you don't need alternate things like Teamspeak to co-ordinate with your friends.

You can integrate non-Steam games into Steam to get some of its functionality, but unless the game conforms to Steam's multiplayer APIs it can't manage things like getting you into your friends' games with one click.

As a software distribution agent it is fantastic. It pushes out updates automatically in the background (if you want it to do so) to both itself and to your games, so you never have to deal with trying to join a server that has a new version of the game when you haven't gotten the latest patch yet. It has tons of bandwidth and saturates my 5 MB down connection every time it releases a patch.

Steam itself is free, which is always a good thing. Games are obviously pay-for, but they don't have the hassel of having to punch in an activation key or deal with DVD copy protection if you want to run a game without a disc in the drive. The list of games you own is stored centrally by account, and you can install Steam on any number of computers you want, as well as all of your games, but you can only play one game from one account at a time. The game files are all resident on your hard drive, so once you've installed the game you don't have to be online to play it (but I think you still need to have Steam itself running). Another bonus is players who are caught cheating are outright banned from Steam, forcing them to buy their games all over again if they want to continue cheating. This really reduces the number of lamers playing Steam games compared to how it was before Steam was introduced.

Really, you should just try it out for yourself and see if you think it's keen or not.

•  I like this idea. I know of some regulars who could benefit from a rocket to the face.

•  Last time I played UT (without a year), the final score was 40 to 1. For my opponent.

Excuse me if I pass on the offer of a friendly online game. ^_^

• Well, like I said, I was just throwing the idea out there to see if there was any interest. Now I see there isn't, so I'm going to go cry in the corner for several hours.

•  So I Bought the gold box because well, HL2 is such a good game and team fortress 2 is alright... I think I need to buy CS again though lol? Haven't played that since pre-steam.

Also it did a good job of alerting me that there were new drivers for my videocard. The WTF is that nvidia compeletly changed their revision numbers for this update + format for revisions numbers + valve had no way of determining the link for me so I did have to do the ol google/waste my time looking for them. Other than that Steam is very nice in how it saves time.... Even though I can easily do all of this stuff, I utterly hate having to spend time doing mundane stuff like researching which revision of game patch is needed/better/if it exists at all, browsing for it, etc etc.

Plus I could play my games somewhat before they compeletly downloaded. the only down side is they require more HDD space, have to be online to authenticate and play though.

•  I think if you still have the CD key you can activate it on steam.

• If we're going to play games on Steam, I've got to recommend the HL2 mod Dystopia.

Unreal Tournament, now there's a good game. I had some fun writing a heat-seeking Redeemer mutator. There's also a great mod for UT called Infiltration, well worth a look if you have UT.

• @Faxmachinen said:

If we're going to play games on Steam, I've got to recommend the HL2 mod Dystopia.
    You play Dystopia too? Under what name? Here's my profile.

• Same name as here; Faxmachinen. Incidentally, your handle is (almost) the same as the name of my decker loadout.

• We're going to have to play a game together some day. Maybe I should create an open TDWTF Steam community and then anyone can just join if they want in. Even if it's just you and me for now...

• I missed the edit timeout, but I made a TDWTF Steam Community. It's public to join and I've set up the permissions to be pretty open so anyone can edit the content of the TDWTF page and announcements and stuff. I'll make a logo for it based on the site's logo tonight when I get home.

•  I Play TF2... what gets on my nerves is when they ban me because of my screen name... what is wrong with "Fetus_Sniper" ?? god

• @Vechni said:

I Play TF2... what gets on my nerves is when they ban me because of my screen name... what is wrong with "Fetus_Sniper" ?? god

Join the TDWTF Steam community and you too could be banned for server admin WTFs! For the record, I think Fetus_Sniper is a hilarious name.