Job Offer WTF

• When I look for a job, it's about a combination of the challenge offered, convenience of commute, relationship with coworkers, technologies to be used, opportunities to contribute up front and also learn, as well as total compensation (salary plus benefits). 

I had interviewed at several places, and a couple of them offered jobs. All of them knew what I was currently making and what benefits I was currently receiving, and that I was looking for a modest increase.

One in particular offers me a straight lateral, but half the vacation, no 401(k) match, no pension contribution (I have all of those now); yielding a net decrease in total compensation. Upon my declining the offer, they (HR) inquire as to why. I explain, and they go off on me that it shouldn't be about money. I respond that while there are many factors, money is one of them, and while I'm not particularly militant on an increase, I really don't see the need to take a cut (I can stay where I am for a while and not take a cut).

Later the hiring manager calls me and demands to know why I am declining an offer for a position in which I had previously expressed interest. I politely explain. Then he takes the wrong tone with me. At that point, I explained that forgetting the other stuff, that he had just demonstrated himself to be self-important, arrogant and condescending, and in and of itself that was a reason to beg off, goodbye, and hung up.

Honestly, what gives with people?

• Hiring Managers can be total retards, alot of them think that we are offering this position, you shouldnt be messing us about!

• @t94xr said:

Hiring Managers can be total retards, alot of them think that we are offering this position, you shouldnt be messing us about!

Yeah, some companies seem to think they are doing you a favour by offering a job! The best thing is probably to steer clear of such companies, they probably treat employes like "Headcount". 

• When I was employed for my latest job, the boss rang me up, "Hi, David Raven here, listen you don't know me?"

I was on my bed thinking, should I?

• I got an offer that was temp-to-perm -- they wanted 3 months of evaluation to see if the "fit" was right -- and the offer described the annual salary of the permanent position but not the hourly rate of the evaluation period. So I asked what that hourly rate would be, and she takes out a calculator and divides the annual salary into 40 hour work weeks. I asked if contractors get any benefits...

"Um, no... you would need to purchase your own benefits."

So I would have had to spend 3 months without healthcare, dental care, flex spending, or 401k matching, and the hourly rate wouldn't be adjusted upwards in anyway to compensate for that. Essentially it would be like taking a full time position at a 15% discount for the first 3 months. She was completely miffed when I turned down the offer.

I wonder if she would seriously accept the job if she had been in my position, or if she was just too self-centered to see anything from somebody else's point of view. This company was pretty desperate to fill the position, too; they were cominup up on a series of deadlines and sounded like they were having trouble luring anybody.

It gives me hope that some day when I start my own company where we actually focus on what motivates our employees, it will still be a competitive advantage because there are still a bunch of braindead employers out there. 

• @savar said:

I got an offer that was temp-to-perm -- they wanted 3 months of evaluation to see if the "fit" was right --

I absolutely refuse to consider try-buy situations. I know in an instant if I want to work with someone/if they're good at what they do.

My feeling is that if the company won't make a committment to me, then there is no reason to make a committment to them.

• @snoofle said:

@savar said:

I got an offer that was temp-to-perm -- they wanted 3 months of evaluation to see if the "fit" was right --

I absolutely refuse to consider try-buy situations. I know in an instant if I want to work with someone/if they're good at what they do.

My feeling is that if the company won't make a committment to me, then there is no reason to make a committment to them.

I used to think the same way, however when you really look at it, no company is comitted to you.

Also, most companies have a 3 month "trial" period or whatever you want to call it.  While many aren't a temp-to-perm, they're still evaluating you during the first several months, and will let you go quite quickly if they don't think you're working out. After that trial period, you're not under the microscope nearly as much. 

• @t94xr said:

When I was employed for my latest job, the boss rang me up, "Hi, David Raven here, listen you don't know me?"

Thanks for sharing. 

• @cheesemonkey said:

@t94xr said:

When I was employed for my latest job, the boss rang me up, "Hi, David Raven here, listen you don't know me?"

Thanks for sharing. 

While the WTF was not that great, it was better than some OP material we see, and it was on topic. Assuming he had not met Daivd Raven before, or had only met him in passing, think how little sense it would make if some random calls up and announces who they are and that you don't know them, rather than anything useful. I assume he explained who he was fairly promptly, but it was slightly odd.

<OFF_TOPIC> Has anyone else noticed that most of the stupid whining we have seen so much of in the last fortnight or so is from users with less than 10 posts?</OFF_TOPC>

• @Physics Phil said:

it was better than some OP material we see

That is like saying dried dog shit is better than fresh dog shit because it is easier to pick it up.

@Physics Phil said:

<OFF_TOPIC> Has anyone else noticed that most of the stupid whining we have seen so much of in the last fortnight or so is from users with less than 10 posts?</OFF_TOPC>

It is one of the main topics of converstion on the IRC channel (#tdwtfmafia @ irc.slashnet.org).

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

It is one of the main topics of converstion on the IRC channel (#tdwtfmafia @ irc.slashnet.org).
    We have an IRC channel now? That sounds great and excellent! I'm there!

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@Physics Phil said:

it was better than some OP material we see

That is like saying dried dog shit is better than fresh dog shit because it is easier to pick it up.

Well, it is, isn't it?  There's no smell and it's not all warm and oily and meaty...