WTF: The ads

• WTF

The following image was one of the ads on this site.  Is it just me or is there no 'correct' answer provided.

-MBirchmeier

• There is a correct answer, you just have to be extra smart to understand it. 

•  The blue triange is going clockwise the green counter clockwise as far as I can tell.

IMO this makes C the closest but still not right.  

Unless there's something painfully obvious I'm missing 

-MBirchmeier

• The series consists of patterns with reflectional symmetery about the diagonal, except with green on one side and blue on the other. Two of the answers follow that pattern, but one has already appeared.  The answer is the other.

There may be a WTF in there somewhere, but the lack of a correct answer is not it. 

• @MBirchmeier said:

IMO this makes C the closest but still not right.  

Unless there's something painfully obvious I'm missing

Yes, the words "best completes the series".

• Do lots of people believe that this kind of tests inherently have a unique correct answer?

What's wrong with the best answer being the one that does occur already? Patterns are sweet; rondo form, duh.

•  I was watching The Oxford Murders the other day. Apparently they can all be correct given a you have a logic for it (no matter how complicated).

• @AlpineR said:

The series consists of patterns with reflectional symmetery about the diagonal, except with green on one side and blue on the other. Two of the answers follow that pattern, but one has already appeared.  The answer is the other.

There may be a WTF in there somewhere, but the lack of a correct answer is not it. 

<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>
    I saw that too, and it's not surprising that programmers, thinking sequentially, would mix it up.  However, IQ tests aren't supposed to be trick questions, and you have to admit that the arrangement of images definitively implies a sequence (hell, they even call it a "series" as opposed to something non-sequential like a "set").  So either the question (a) is deliberately misleading, (b) is poorly-worded, or (c) was actually a mistake, and has a reasonable answer only by coincidence.

I'm actually leaning toward option (c), because if the common property of the "series" is symmetry about the diagonal, then the 3rd option does not actually make the series "complete". The symmetry may simply be an incidental side-effect of the rotational transform - if you start with a reflection and rotate both sides around the center of the reflected axis, you will always have symmetry.

No doubt if you put that question in front of me I'd have made the same call that you did, but I don't believe that you'd ever see that kind of a question on a real IQ test.  I believe that they messed it up, even though it does have a viable answer.

• No doubt if you put that question in front of me I'd have made the same call that you did, but I don't believe that you'd ever see that kind of a question on a real IQ test.

I chose C first out of passing as well, but then it caught my eye after the fact as being the '6th' entry in the series instead of the '5th'.

Although I like ulzha's point, if we're not ending the series at '5' who's to say that D isn't the correct answer in a series with 12 entries.

-MBirchmeier

• iq test

• @superjer said:

<snip>newpic</snip>

WTF ? in the third picture, they had 2 purple areas. And a yellow one all of a sudden. If the block on the top symbolized a block on the bottom (hence the duplicate) then why didn't the first pic have a blue square on the bottom ?

• The correct answer is D.

The turquoise bit is moving around the edges. The purple bit is moving in a circle, except when at the top it is reflected in the middle below. And the yellow light indicates that the red bit will be disappearing after one more step.

• I think the correct answer is B. The blue triangle is making its way around the whole square clockwise, and the green triangle is going back and forth across all spaces in the bottom two squares.

• (Ran out of time to edit and add that was my answer for the first one, forum software ate my additional reply).

I think the answer to the second one is also B. The purple block is traveling around the 4 spaces in the triangle at the top, and when there is nothing in its way, it projects to the other side of the diagram (in this case, the 3rd example shows the purple block at the bottom lit). When this extra space is lit, the yellow block is on. The turqouise block is making its way up and down the left side of the diagram.

• has anyone considered that there is not, in fact, a correct response to these IQ tests? They might be deliberately styled to be close to a correct answer to attract people into taking the tests, or to at least go to the website to see what answer THEY felt was correct. It's likely just a ploy.

• @sniffels said:

has anyone considered that there is not, in fact, a correct response to these IQ tests?

Really? So you read the front page too?