Caution: Web Paint!

• Browsing through the Side Bar archives, someone pointed out the horror that was the Saugerties PD website (http://www.saugertiespd.com/).

Well, now it isn't a gigantic Publisher document, but it is: "Under construction! CAUTION: WEB PAINT!"

Dear god...

• And they actually bothered to put the right-click script in there.

• They have tried to disable right-click, but failed badly. All that happens (Ff 2) is that you get a javascript alert saying "Function Disabled!" and then the menu appears as normal. The script appears to have been taken off of some tutorial site, and looks like it was for IE4 and Netscape 4, and instead of checking the browser directly (which I believe you could do even back then) it uses DOM features. Also, there is an interesting combination of tags: the <font> tag is used, and left unclosed (although the

tags are closed), but one of the tags (a <link> tag) uses />.

The developer has defined some CSS styles, but the only place where any would be used he overrode with 3 <font> tags. There are also paragraphs nested inside one another (with the same alignment).

It looks like the site was made by copy-pasting bits and pieces from elsewhere, without any real understanding of HTML. Hopefully whoever wrote this page is designing the new site, so we have plenty to laugh at.

• @Physics Phil said:

All that happens (Ff 2) is that you get a javascript alert saying "Function Disabled!" and then the menu appears as normal.

return false;

• @Physics Phil said:

<font>

It looks like the site was made by copy-pasting bits and pieces from elsewhere, without any real understanding of HTML. Hopefully whoever wrote this page is designing the new site, so we have plenty to laugh at.

</font></font>

Well, let's see:
    [code]//Disable right mouse click Script
    //By Maximus (maximus@nsimail.com) w/ mods by DynamicDrive
    //For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com[/code]

Yeah.

Plus: "<font face="Script MT Bold">".

Script MT Bold?

• Not to mention the fact that the site... Small as it is, has a whopping 10 errors, according to W3C...

(And my HTML validator Add-on)

• @Physics Phil said:

All that happens (Ff 2) is that you get a javascript alert saying "Function Disabled!" and then the menu appears as normal.

FF's got a pref setting (tools -> options -> content -> enable javascript ->advanced) to control context menus. If you don't allow scripts to disable context, the mouse click event still fires (triggering all those right-click disablers), but the context menu will still pop up, along with the fun "we don't allow that neener neener" alerts. It doesn't prevent the page from doing whatever it wants (including kicking you out to another page), but the context menu will still show up.

• @lgeekery said:

@Physics Phil said:
    <font>

</font>

Well, let's see:
    <font face="Lucida Console" size="2">//Disable right mouse click Script
    //By Maximus (maximus@nsimail.com) w/ mods by DynamicDrive
    //For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com</font>

Yeah.

Plus: "<font face="Script MT Bold">".

Script MT Bold?</font>

It wasn't just the script taken from elsewhere, which is fiar enough if somewhat pointless in this case[0], it was more the fact that the HTML 3 was mixed with XHTML, with a nice helping of useless CSS, which gave away his cluelessness.

[0] although one wonders where they found such an old script, since the site referenced is updated and has modern scripts on it

•  Web Paint?  A rather pitiful attempt at being funny, in my opinion.  Even I didn't find it funny, and I don't have a very high standard for humour.  Plus the whole 'caution' thing is a bit extreme - it's not as if there's anything dangerous about a content placeholder.   And it's a big improvement on the prior horror.

•  There are 3 verbs in this page, out of which one has 2 mistakes! appoligize?

• @tchize said:

There are 3 verbs in this page, out of which one has 2 mistakes! appoligize?

Not to be a stickler, but there are four verbs. You're forgetting that "is" is a verb. 

• I count 10 words in both the text and images that are (fairly) commonly used as verbs.