Another change-counting WTF



  • Some years ago, I was shopping with my dad.  He was purchasing a sweater that cost thirty-something dollars and some cents.  My dad saw this as a great opportunity to get rid of a $50-bill he had, so he gave the cashier fifty-something dollars and some cents.  My dad must have miscounted, though, because the clerk dutifully returned to my father his $19.95 change .



  •  Sounds like he was doing what everyone in the other thread was telling him to. Just take the money and put it through the register.

     

    What more did you want/expect from him? After all, he is just a stupid clerk that doesn't deserve any respect. Not to mention, he has to deal with assholes all day that try and act clever to consolidate their change.



  • Okay, this has got to be some sort of organized joke or some plan to mess with TDWTF.  No one takes the time to sign up and even add an avatar to post about a 5 cent "wtf" in a mundane purchase.  The fact its even called "Another change-counting WTF" makes it clear the poster has been to the other thread, which came a lot closer to being a wtf yet fell terribly short, as mentioned repeatedly in that thread.  Its almost like there's a "lowering the bar" limbo contest out there somewhere, and we just happen to be the unsuspecting target.

    That, or somehow this site is getting linked from myspace, bringing a whole crowd of users who think their answers to the latest 150 dumb questions is worth sharing with the world, in which case posts like this are going to get worse before they get better.



  • @BeenThere said:

    That, or somehow this site is getting linked from myspace, bringing a whole crowd of users who think their answers to the latest 150 dumb questions is worth sharing with the world, in which case posts like this are going to get worse before they get better.
     

    I think that is currently our problem. It will pass, just shut them down as they come along.



  • I mean seriously, this is getting out of hand - what's next?  "Another nother change wtf"  about how "mommy put a penny in the share a penny jar, and was a penny short on exact change at the next store, but the cashier wouldn't give her a penny" or some shit? 


    And Hymie, nothing personal here and its not a personal attack or anything:  I am just suspicious if your post is legit (in which case you need to read a bit and get an idea for the context of what a wtf is around here) or part of a vast conspiracy.  I can't actually believe that story stuck out in your mind back when it happened and made you think "wow, wtf" and you just felt like this was the place to share it after all those years.  Honestly, it sounds more like you read the other change-counting thread and thought "hey, I could post about..." even if its pale among the mundane.


    If you have an interesting wtf story, by all means, post it.  A comment on something posted, reply to it.  Not trying to flame you, but this really isn't (imho) a wtf by any means.



  • Well, this certainly was quite the welcome.

    Yes, this story really happened.  Yes, it's been sitting in the back of my mind because I share it every now and then with people who complain about how nobody can count anymore.

    The description of the "Side Bar" forum is "Because more things make us ask WTF than just code."  Yes, I read the other change-counting threads.  I didn't post to those threads because it wasn't in the same vein -- it wasn't the clerk asking "WTF did you give me all of this extra money?" It was me asking "WTF did you think I went out of my way to get $19.95 in change?"

     MPS -- As to "What more did you want/expect from him?"  Two things jumped immediately to mind:

    * Tell my dad he must have miscounted, that clearly he was aiming for $20 in change but missed

    * Assume the he (the clerk) miscounted, and give my dad $20 anyway

    Anyway, I guess TRWTF is "WTF am I still doing here?" since clearly I'm not part of the good-ol-boys network.



  • @hymie said:

    * Tell my dad he must have miscounted, that clearly he was aiming for $20 in change but missed
     

    Why didn't your dad not miscount? Why didn't he tell the clerk what he expected back?

    There might be a WTF here, but it isn't on the clerk's side.

    @hymie said:

    Anyway, I guess TRWTF is "WTF am I still doing here?" since clearly I'm not part of the good-ol-boys network.

    Certainly not if you are going cry everytime someone calls you on something like a crappy OP.



  • @BeenThere said:

    Its almost like there's a "lowering the bar" limbo contest out there somewhere, and we just happen to be the unsuspecting target.

    Well if you feel that way about it, then I just won't post my hilarious story about the time I mis-buttoned my shirt or the time I thought we had milk in the fridge, but really we were out. WTF?! Ha ha. Maybe we can get Alex to add a forum called "Mildly Anomalous Events I Once Witnessed, Heard About, or Recently Imagined."



  • @dgvid said:

    @BeenThere said:

    Its almost like there's a "lowering the bar" limbo contest out there somewhere, and we just happen to be the unsuspecting target.

    Well if you feel that way about it, then I just won't post my hilarious story about the time I mis-buttoned my shirt or the time I thought we had milk in the fridge, but really we were out. WTF?! Ha ha. Maybe we can get Alex to add a forum called "Mildly Anomalous Events I Once Witnessed, Heard About, or Recently Imagined."

     

    TRMAEIOWHARI is the acronym. 



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    What more did you want/expect from him? After all, he is just a stupid clerk that doesn't deserve any respect. Not to mention, he has to deal with assholes all day that try and act clever to consolidate their change.

     

     You're right. Basic arithmetic is a bridge too far these days.



  •  @Arenzael said:

    You're right. Basic arithmetic is a bridge too far these days.

    Interesting. In the other thread it was argued the clerk should 'just do his job' and 'punch the numbers on the machine'.

    You can't have it both ways.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.