Singleton without the benefit

• There are some people who can have all the book knowledge in the world and fail miserably to actually utilize it.  In college, I had plenty of classmates who would ace tests, but when they needed to actually utilize that knowledge, they were more worthless than Vista's UAC.

Now that I am in the real world (for three years now) those sort of people seem to manage to get jobs.  One of my current co-workers is a textbook example:

class OrderBusinessLogic* {

private static final Logger logger = AppLogger.getLogger(OrderBusinessLogic.class.getName());
        private static Collection <OrderData> orderDataCollection;
        public static int tableDataSize;
        public static int orderDataSize = 50;

/**
    * using the singleton design pattern idea, return one static class variable
    * representing OrderBusinessLogic object to be used through the class OrderServlet
    * @author <<<removed>>>
    * @see orderBusinessLogicFactory
    * @return orderBusinessLogic
    */
    public static OrderBusinessLogic orderBusinessLogicFactory(ApplicationContext springContext, ISiapComponent component){

OrderBusinessLogic orderLogic = new OrderBusinessLogic(springContext,component);

logger.debug("orderBusinessLogicFactory()");

if (orderLogic.orderBusinessLogic == null){
    orderLogic.orderBusinessLogic = orderLogic;
    }
    return orderLogic.orderBusinessLogic;
    }//end orderBusinessLogicFactory

/**
    * Using the singleton design pattern idea, if the instance of the object of this class exists already
    * then return it, otherwise, create a new instance and return it
    * @author <<<removed>>>
    * @return orderLogic the current instance of class OrderBusinessLogic
    */
    public static OrderBusinessLogic getInstanceOrderBusinessLogic(ApplicationContext springContext, ISiapComponent component){

logger.debug("getInstanceOrderBusinessLogic()");
    OrderBusinessLogic orderSeqLogic = OrderBusinessLogic.orderBusinessLogicFactory(springContext,component);
    return orderLogic;
    }// end getInstanceOrderBusinessLogic

// ...
    // snip
    // ...

} // end class OrderBusinessLogic

* The actual domain involves the US federal government 

If you ever wanted a singleton, do not want the benefit of singletons and enjoy threading issues, this is how you do it!

• Here's what you need to do: go to this person's desk and yank their keyboard away from them. To be on the safe side, stomp on their mouse a few times while you're at it.

•  I especially like that he's using spring and could have just used it to give him a singleton instance when he needs it without adding any more code...

• @witchdoctor said:

I especially like that he's using spring and could have just used it to give him a singleton instance when he needs it without adding any more code...

LOL, exactly.  I've learned where one WTF resides, more tend to lurk. 

• @osuwizzard said:

logger.debug("getInstanceOrderBusinessLogic()");
    @osuwizzard said:
    logger.debug("orderBusinessLogicFactory()");

That's some very impressive logging. The comments are just as useful..

@osuwizzard said:

I can't believe people get paid to write such crap.

• @Nandurius said:

@osuwizzard said:

I can't believe people get paid to write such crap.

Since the OP hinted that the application was related to the US Federal Government, perhaps the code author is a frustrated Ada programmer. 

• @bstorer said:

Here's what you need to do: go to this person's desk and yank their keyboard away from them. To be on the safe side, stomp on their mouse a few times while you're at it.

Might as well kick him/her in the testicles/ovaries a few times to prevent any unnecessary breeding while you're at it...

• @livid said:

@bstorer said:

Here's what you need to do: go to this person's desk and yank their keyboard away from them. To be on the safe side, stomp on their mouse a few times while you're at it.

Might as well kick him/her in the testicles/ovaries a few times to prevent any unnecessary breeding while you're at it...

Your ideas intrigue me...

• @bstorer said:

Here's what you need to do: go to this person's desk and yank their penis away from them. To be on the safe side, stomp on their nutsack a few times while you're at it.

I'll play madlibs even if I have to make up my own omissions. 

I've had a fairly uneventful day.

Can you tell?