Quick WTF @ Local University

• Well, this is a quick one I remembered.

A couple years ago, they decided to "patch" our University's online enrolling application (am i spelling this right?). As a normal rule, every student has a maximum allowance of credits he can use to enroll. Sweet. However, somone thought it was much easier to do the checking using Javascript... ONLY. Tools => Options => Disable Javascript, and voilá! Now you have no credit limit :)

And yes, it did work. They performed no validation on the server whatsoever.

On a brighter note, next year they fixed this, and a few other things... right during the 2 weeks enrollment period... with hundreds of students trying to access the system... causing a page to take from 5 to 10 minutes to load... Yes, it's been some fun years... :)

• You live in Canada, don't you?

• @morbiuswilters said:

You live in Canada, don't you?

What is it with you Americans and your nearest neighbours?  Why can't you just get along like we Brits do with the French, Welsh, Scots, Germans and Irish?  Oh, wait... 

EDIT: Gaaah, meant to say we ENGLISH!  Apologies to Welsh, Scots and Irish... 

EDIT2: I think I proved something to myself there... 

• @upsidedowncreature said:

...we Brits do with the French, Welsh, Scots, Germans and Irish...

Uh...

@upsidedowncreature said:

EDIT: Gaaah, meant to say we ENGLISH!  Apologies to Welsh, Scots and Irish... 

Hmm...

So you're saying that England, Scotland, Germany, Ireland, Welshland, France and Britain aren't the same country?

• France - good wine and food so that's not my country.

Germany - good cars and unrestricted autobahns so that's not my country either.

The rest - Pfft, I dunno.  Welsh Assembly, Scottish Parliament, Northern Irish Assembly, London Assembly, Parliament in London (covering the whole of the UK), plus the EU with its regulations & directives, all with different responsibilities and powers.  It's hardly surprising people here can't be bothered to vote, I think often they haven't got any idea of what the people they're voting for will be empowered to do.  

• @morbiuswilters said:

So you're saying that England, Scotland, Germany, Ireland, Welshland, France and Britain aren't the same country?

They are, somehow. England, Scotland, Ireland, Welshland and France have been defeated by Prince William VI of Orange (William I) in the battle of Waterloo. Nowadays, they are constituent countries of the UK (i.e. United Kingdom of the Great Luxembourg). Germany is former colony of the UK, and Grand Duke Henri remains the head of state of Germany.

However, Britain isn't a country. Britain was the territory of a celtic tribe that has been exstincted by the Romans in the Gallic Wars.

• @shinobu said:

Germany is former colony of the UK, and Grand Duke Henri remains the head of state of Germany.

Servers them... wait... Germany is what??

This calls for a source

• :belt_onion:

@upsidedowncreature said:

The rest - Pfft, I dunno.  Welsh Assembly, Scottish Parliament, Northern Irish Assembly, London Assembly, Parliament in London (covering the whole of the UK), plus the EU with its regulations & directives, all with different responsibilities and powers.  It's hardly surprising people here can't be bothered to vote, I think often they haven't got any idea of what the people they're voting for will be empowered to do.  

Try Belgium then. For 10 million people, there is a Flemish parliament, a Walloon parliament, a Brussels parliament, a parliament for the French speaking community, a parliament for the German speaking community and of course a federal parliament.... plus the EU with its ...(and so on)

• Great, not a single on-topic post. Brillant!

• :belt_onion:

@derula said:

Great, not a single on-topic post. Brillant!

I would think that the topic of client-side validation has been discussed plenty of times in other threads, right?

• @bjolling said:

@derula said:

Great, not a single on-topic post. Brillant!

I would think that the topic of client-side validation has been discussed plenty of times in other threads, right?

Right. I was just tempted to post something which would be self-descriptive. In order to own myself. So that people can flame me for doing something I accuse them to have done.