Please ignore this Window

• I just went through installing some random Japanese fonts and a few of them were said to be available on Adobe's website. So I went there and started the download.

Immediately after the download started, I was presented a JavaScript box which asked me whether I wanted to take part in a survey. I thought, sure, why the heck not tell them how much I dislike them.

Well here's what happened. The following popup opened:

This window may present you with a customer satisfaction survey. [...] Please ignore this window and continue browsing our site in the other window.

Needless to say, there was no survey in the Window I just came from.

It turned out that the fonts were just Adobe Reader addons anyway which I don't even have installed.

• Maybe Adobe already knows that everyone hates them and realized that a survey would be pointless.

• It said to ignore the window, and here you are, posting it on TheDailyWTF.  So much for following instructions... 

• @derula said:

Needless to say, there was no survey in the Window I just came from.

Hmm.. it sounds like maybe Adobe doesn't actually control who gets the survey but contracts it out to a 3rd party.  They have JS to ask you if you want to take part but the 3rd party must have their own criteria for deciding who gets the survey.  More than anything, it sounds like a nasty hack so Adobe didn't have to allow the 3rd party to run code on their own servers, but there would have been a more elegant way to handle it.  So kind of silly, but I see why the window basically said "ignore me" because the 3rd party decided you weren't worthy of taking their survey.

@derula said:

It turned out that the fonts were just Adobe Reader addons anyway which I don't even have installed.

Sounds like your problem, not Adobe's.  I don't really adore their products, but I don't think they are as bad as you seem to.

• @morbiuswilters said:

So kind of silly, but I see why the window basically said "ignore me" because the 3rd party decided you weren't worthy of taking their survey.

My point is that the window doesn't seem really decisive. On the one hand, it says that it might present me with a survey, but then it requests me to ignore it. When it's like you suggested, why didn't the third party responsible for the survey let the window say "You are not allowed to take part in the survey" or, heck, why didn't Adobe use some Ajax to determine if I'm allowed or whatever.

• I'm not sure, but I've been on some pages that did pretty the same (but the instructions in the popup were clearer), and after leaving their site, the window would get focus and the survey would start. Maybe they meant it to be this way, but made a mistake somewhere along the way... Or they just didn't know how to explain it ;-)