In VB, you can't make a 3D game...

• Well, i was browsing youtube, and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPRSC1KkNc

the video itself is not important, the comments under it are.

or funny, at least. very amusing. for example:

"Dude, in VB you can't make a 3d game cause' you are limited to the X,Y. Parameters.Only 2 dimensions. He is maybe using C++ or a Visual Basic Mod. Something like that, but that is not Visual Basic"

or this guy, who really got it right:

" mate this not vb6 game vb never do this stuff . i think its fps game"

and i'd just like to know, where those people take the belief, that they're absolutely right...

i think i'll never find out... 

edit: oh, i nearly forgot... "plz send me teh codes" is there as well =) and not just once

• Garbage Person

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

• The real question this raises is this: which is stupider, the average YouTube comment or the average MySpace comment? I'm going with YouTube in an upset.

• @SEMI-HYBRID code said:

In VB, you can't make a 3D game...
    Were you trying to go for a @Alien said:
    In space, noone can hear you scream
    reference?  Cuz that's what I got out of it.

• Awesome. It only crashed six times.

• BINNED

@belgariontheking said:

reference?

He clearly went for: In (soviet) VB, 3D game makes you.    ;)

•  @bstorer said:

The real question this raises is this: which is stupider, the average YouTube comment or the average MySpace comment? I'm going with YouTube in an upset.
    The real question is how to harness the power of stupidity. I mean a hundred years ago they had no idea how to use the methane produced from crap to generate power. If we could use stupidity to generate power we could solve the energy problem and have enough power left to travel to other galaxies (note I said galaxies, not just solar systems).

• @DOA said:

The real question is how to harness the power of stupidity.

Hamster wheels and cell phones dangling just out of reach?

•  @bstorer said:

Well, you will have to take into the equation the power of lazziness. But it's a good starting point. Maybe make those cells I-phones?

• @DOA said:

If we could use stupidity to generate power

That'd be interesting: Data centers powered by the crap flowing through the wires. I can just see Rackspace's ads. "We've gone green, using the power of brown!"

• @fatdog said:

@bstorer said:

Well, you will have to take into the equation the power of lazziness. But it's a good starting point. Maybe make those cells I-phones?

How audible is the iPhone's speaker? We could have it play J-pop. Maybe carmelldansen?

• @topspin said:

@belgariontheking said:

reference?

He clearly went for: In (soviet) VB, 3D game makes you.    ;)

i just went for catchy title =)

btw, in VB, the real game is trying to make a game. Believe me. I've tried. =) 

• @DOA said:

The real question is how to harness the power of stupidity. I mean a hundred years ago they had no idea how to use the methane produced from crap to generate power. If we could use stupidity to generate power we could solve the energy problem and have enough power left to travel to other galaxies (note I said galaxies, not just solar systems).

Harness youtube comments as a public domain source of entropy?

• I'm ashamed to admit that I made a 3D screensaver in VB.  That was my first foray into DirectX.  (6 I think)  I've since done OpenGL with C++. 

• I actually have a book about 3D programming with VB6, although I've never tried to use it.

And it's been a while, but I think most of the map editors for Battlefield 1942 were written in Visual Basic, and they were pretty impressive.

• There really are some classic comments on that video. My favourite:

The Title Is VB, But VB = Vagina Butt.
    Not Visual Basic.

The level of intelligence there is just astounding. Whoever said "the pen is mightier than the sword" needs to go and have a read of YouTube comments - he might change his mind. 

• @SEMI-HYBRID code said:

btw, in VB, the real game is trying to make a game. Believe me. I've tried. =) 

Well, back when I was still at school, I made a pretty good pong-clone in VB, full-screen graphics, skill levels (including custom skill), esc-to-pause, etc.

Was a bit WTF-y though, for example, did you know that to make a full-screen window in VB6, you set the form's border style to "ToolWindow" and have it's WindowState set to "Maximized" (or something like that, it's been a while)? 

And of course collision-detection is a pain... If ball.x > paddle.x And ball.x < paddle.y + paddle.Width, etc... 

• @mallard said:

Well, back when I was still at school, I made a pretty good pong-clone in VB, full-screen graphics, skill levels (including custom skill), esc-to-pause, etc.

Was a bit WTF-y though, for example, did you know that to make a full-screen window in VB6, you set the form's border style to "ToolWindow" and have it's WindowState set to "Maximized" (or something like that, it's been a while)? 

And of course collision-detection is a pain... If ball.x > paddle.x And ball.x < paddle.y + paddle.Width, etc... 

hmm... i used to do fulscreen window like this:

Window.BorderStyle = vbNone

Window.Left = 0

Window.Top = 0

Window.Width = Screen.Width

Window.Height = Screen.Height

;-)

but yeah, the collision detection. it even forced me to look into Windows API, and regions to try to use that, instead of those ifs... 

• Interestingly enough, UnrealEd 1 (at least the one for Deus Ex) was written in VB.

That doesn't make a particularly good example, though, since it's buggy as hell.

• @valerion said:

"the pen is mightier than the sword"

I've got to ask you about the Penis Mightier. </obligatory></SeanConneryOnSNLJeopardy>

• @bstorer said:

The real question this raises is this: which is stupider, the average YouTube comment or the average MySpace comment? I'm going with YouTube in an upset.

Why, while YouTube comments are frequently ill-informed and inane, I believe MySpace is still quite a long way ahead in that game, breaking new ground in stupidity every da...

The Title Is VB, But VB = Vagina Butt.
    Not Visual Basic.

...*scratches head* Hmm, fascinating. Now I'm not so sure any more...

• @Eternal Density said:

I'm ashamed to admit that I made a 3D screensaver in VB.  That was my first foray into DirectX.  (6 I think)  I've since done OpenGL with C++. 

DirectX is for wimps. The first game I wrote was a first-person shooter in Visual Basic 1, running on Win 3.1 on a 486SX33. I wrote my own 3D engine, using wireframe graphics with hidden-line removal. Since this was before I'd learned about linear algebra, it used a mass of trigonometric calculations.

• @Carnildo said:

DirectX is for wimps. The first game I wrote was a first-person shooter in Visual Basic 1, running on Win 3.1 on a 486SX33. I wrote my own 3D engine, using wireframe graphics with hidden-line removal. Since this was before I'd learned about linear algebra, it used a mass of trigonometric calculations.

That must be a universal stage in programming or something - I did that too (with a ton of trig and all), but a few years ago and in Java. 

• @Cap'n Steve said:

I actually have a book about 3D programming with VB6, although I've never tried to use it.

And it's been a while, but I think most of the map editors for Battlefield 1942 were written in Visual Basic, and they were pretty impressive.

The map editor for the first Unreal Tournament game was built in VB as well. 

Edit: doh, Spectre beat me to it.

• @burntfuse said:

That must be a universal stage in programming or something - I did that too (with a ton of trig and all), but a few years ago and in Java. 
    Not for me. My first game was in Basic and it was simply a retarded version of the text-only adventure game. I wont bore you with the specifics but it went a little like this...

> You're in a building that's on fire. You want to take the stairs or use the lift?

> Use the lift

> PWNED!! (or something to that effect)

In my defense it had a bit of a hand-made musical score. Still I don't see it becoming a commercial success any time soon. 

• @DOA said:

@burntfuse said:
    Not for me.
    Or for me.  Didn't any of you start with something like Tic Tac Toe or Poker?

• The great thing about Visual Basic is that it brought programming to millions of people who couldn't otherwise figure it out. The thing is, however, that all those people really had no business programming. And, as is the case in just about anything, the stupidest people are the loudest -- so the world is flooded with billions of lines of VB code which shouldn't exist.

If a competent developer uses the language, and is aware of its laundry list of epic-stupid, then VB is perfectly cromulent for most tasks.

• @insta said:

The great thing about Visual Basic is that it brought programming to millions of people who couldn't otherwise figure it out.

No. Microsoft brought programming to millions of people who couldn't figure it out otherwise. Don't pin that on VB.

• @belgariontheking said:

@DOA said:

@burntfuse said:
    Not for me.
    Or for me.  Didn't any of you start with something like Tic Tac Toe or Poker?

I made a Sherlock Holmes graphic adventure in QBasic, with hand draw graphics... it sucked

• @pinguis said:

I made a Sherlock Holmes graphic adventure in QBasic, with hand draw graphics... it sucked

That's because you drew the graphics onto the monitor with a marker.

• @bstorer said:

That's because you drew the graphics onto the monitor with a marker.

Whoa, he lives in Portugal for christ's sakes... He clearly could only have afforded crayons.

• @pinguis said:

QBasic had graphics? Damn, I knew I should have read the whole book...

• @DOA said:

QBasic had graphics? Damn, I knew I should have read the whole book...

Pfft! n00b! It even came with some games by Microsoft, such as Gorillas and Nibbles.