Bad day made worse in the name of "Security"

• Guh, today was an adventure.  Ran out of gas on the way home, so had to walk like a mile to the nearest station.   Got there, they didn't have a can to borrow so I had to buy one.  So I buy a can, fill it up, getback to the car, come to the gas station again, fill up the tank.

I get home and watch House, which inspires me to go to the strip club, but I've gotta get some money out of the ATM first....  card denied.

Evidently making 3 small purchases at a gas station, then trying to make the maximum withdrawl from the strip club ATM fits some sort of criminal pattern.  I had no idea [/sarcasm].

My old Wachovia account, they at least called me to verify the time I incidentally tripped their sensors.  Chase just cut me off.   I quit my old job there because the was crap, but the service as a customer is even worse.  Let's hope I can get this thing back up and running before lunch tomorrow.....

I'd been meaning to re-open that Wachovia account too now that I don't have to pretend to show some company loyalty. 

• @vt_mruhlin said:

Ran out of gas on the way home

If only there was some kind of a device that indicated a vehicle's fuel levels. Perhaps a gauge of some sort. With a little light that comes on when levels are low.

Whoever invents that will own the world.

• @MarcB said:

If only there was some kind of a device that indicated a vehicle's fuel levels. Perhaps a gauge of some sort. With a little light that comes on when levels are low.

Here in Europe, some luxury cars can be equiped with such a gauge, though it's an expensive extra for BMWs.

• Yeah, I got used to the fact that my low fuel light comes on way earlier than it needs to, but I overestimated it this time.  Figured I could make it to the station near home. 

• So I called the number on the back of my card last night and got their automated system, telling me they can't help me except between normal business hours.  "Ok, I guess I have to talk to a live person.  It kind of sucks that they don't keep people on payroll late at night".

So this morning, I call back and move through some nice menu prompts asking me some multiple choice questions to prove my identity, then having me press 1 on all the potentially fraudulent activities.  I guess that computer only comes in to the office during normal business hours?

• @vt_mruhlin said:

I guess that computer only comes in to the office during normal business hours?

Indeed. And it takes hour lunches too.

•  Had you been paying attention it is ride your bicycle to work week and you could have avoided the whole mess by participating :_)

•  I didn't know that it was, but I did ride today.  Would have yesterday too except I was supposed to meet my running group after work (and the ride out there takes too long).  Didn't quite make it thanks to the gas thing.

• @MarcB said:

If only there was some kind of a device that RELIABLY indicated a vehicle's fuel levels. Perhaps a gauge of some sort. With a little light that comes on when levels are low.

Whoever invents that will own the world.

Fixed that for you.

(and yes I know the original was sarcasm)