COM error



  • Okay, Google's been no help on this, so maybe you people can help me. I'm no Windows programming expert by any means. At start-up of my app, I'm getting "Invalid reference, COM object does not exist" errors. Anyone ever experienced this? What's the likely culprit?



  •  What version of Windows?



  • Windows XP. I've tried using SSDS, but it was no help, either!



  • @bstorer said:

    Windows XP

    What language/platform?



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    What language/platform?

    Oh, yeah. That information might've helped. It's C++ with VS.NET.



  • @bstorer said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:
    What language/platform?

    Oh, yeah. That information might've helped. It's C++ with VS.NET.

     

    Got a sample of the code?



  • @bstorer said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:
    What language/platform?

    Oh, yeah. That information might've helped. It's C++ with VS.NET.

    Jeez, I must have C++ on the brain or something. It's written in C#.



  • @bstorer said:

    It's written in C#.

    Ahh that should be even easier to help with then.

    What does the app do?



  • @bstorer said:

    Jeez, I must have C++ on the brain or something. It's written in C#.
     

    Nah, you just forgot the top row of '+'s.

     

    Heh.



  • @bstorer said:

    Windows XP. I've tried using SSDS, but it was no help, either!

     

    Off chance, are you running SP2?



  • @bstorer said:

    Okay, Google's been no help on this, so maybe you people can help me. I'm no Windows programming expert by any means. At start-up of my app, I'm getting "Invalid reference, COM object does not exist" errors. Anyone ever experienced this? What's the likely culprit?

    Have you tried rebooting?  That fixes most problems in Windoze.  Also, you are writing in C# -- do you happen to be trying to compare objects with ==?  There was a thread a few days ago about a bug in C# that causes object comparisons with == to fail. 



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    That fixes most problems in Windoze. 
     

    Anti-MS trolling.

    @morbiuswilters said:

    There was a thread a few days ago about a bug in C# that causes object comparisons with == to fail. 

    That was Java.

     

    Geez Morbius you are becoming quite the troll lately.



  • what type of stuff are you trying to reference in your project? You might have the wrapper class in your .Net references list, but the COM dll necessary is missing or upgraded. Are you using any COM interop features, or third party controls that might be doing it. If none of these apply, are you using P/Invoke to call a native dll that might be using COM ?



  • I figured it out. I used my knowledge of C++ and Java, and passed the code into g++ and then piped it to javac. Problem solved. Also, it was just a problem with initializing dependencies in the wrong order.



  • @bstorer said:

    I figured it out. I used my knowledge of C++ and Java, and passed the code into g++ and then piped it to javac. Problem solved. Also, it was just a problem with initializing dependencies in the wrong order.

    Should have used Linux to begin with.  I don't know why you're wasting time with this C# garbage from a convicted monopolist.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Should have used Linux to begin with.
     

    Yeah then you could have just edited your /etc/COM/COM.config file and added:

    -rr 5674

    -f 7838

    ...etc. Noodles, jam it, etc etc.

    @morbiuswilters said:

    I don't know why you're wasting time with this C# garbage from a convicted monopolist.

    You are such a TROLL. Go back to IRC, stay off our forums.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Should have used Linux to begin with.  I don't know why you're wasting time with this C# garbage from a convicted monopolist.

    Because it's a decent language built on a reasonably well-thought-out platform using an OS that has market penetration sufficient for people to sob 'monopoly' reflexively?   It's not like jumping on the "perl/python/ruby/php on Linux" bandwagons is going to make you a iconoclast. 

    I think there might be a version of Smalltalk for the Amiga out there somewhere if you really want something that'll make you stand out in a "My technology is the best, but I still can't get a job" sort of way.

    -cw



  • Is there any particular reason why everybody feeds the troll?



  • @CodeWhisperer said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    Should have used Linux to begin with.  I don't know why you're wasting time with this C# garbage from a convicted monopolist.

    Because it's a decent language built on a reasonably well-thought-out platform using an OS that has market penetration sufficient for people to sob 'monopoly' reflexively?   It's not like jumping on the "perl/python/ruby/php on Linux" bandwagons is going to make you a iconoclast. 

    I think there might be a version of Smalltalk for the Amiga out there somewhere if you really want something that'll make you stand out in a "My technology is the best, but I still can't get a job" sort of way.

    -cw

    What part of my post was incorrect?  He solved the problem with Free Software and I just pointed out he should have gone that route to begin with.  Do you have some hidden agenda that makes you want to waste pstorer's precious time?  Perhaps "C# garbage" was a bit harsh, but C# obviously didn't help the OP.  Also, Microsoft is a convicted monopolist.  That's just a fact and I must have hit pretty close to home to get you riled up like that.  You may not like the decision the legal system made, but you can't rewrite history.  I actually have two jobs: I bag groceries at a Safeway during the week and I program websites in ColdFusion over the weekend.  Actually, three jobs if you count selling nugz to the college students around here.  I make lots of money and live in a luxury apartment.  That's better than your single job, which by your tone must be at Microsoft because you are so quick to defend it.



  • @ammoQ said:

    Is there any particular reason why everybody feeds the troll?

    For gems like this:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    three jobs if you count selling nugz to the college students around here.  I make lots of money and live in a luxury apartment

    You can't make this stuff up.  Well, maybe this guy can, from the basement of his parent's home.

    -cw



  • @CodeWhisperer said:

    For gems like this:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    three jobs if you count selling nugz to the college students around here.  I make lots of money and live in a luxury apartment

    You can't make this stuff up.  Well, maybe this guy can, from the basement of his parent's home.

    -cw

    Why you gotta be hatin' on someone who gots what you cannot have?  I didn't realize this site was The Daily Player Hater (TDPH).  I'd show you pictures of my girl, but you'd probably make some ignorant comment about that, too, so instead I'll leave you to your homely wife.

     

    Dude, TRPH is you.  It's been awhile since me and my boys from BK had to ride out on a fool for showin' disrespect.

     

    Peace. 



  •  Morbius, wicked JimBastard impression, but your forgot to represent your 'triple nines' and spell everything wrong.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Dude, TRPH is you.  It's been awhile since me and my boys from BK had to ride out on a fool for showin' disrespect.

    Oh no!  He's (suddenly) speaking in patois! 

    Sigh.

    I mean, really?   Empty threats against someone on the internet because they weren't swayed by the "I live in a luxury apartment" argument? 

    I could sit here and drop some more snark, but honestly, nothing I can say will make you look more foolish than you just did on your own.  Good work.

    -cw



  • @CodeWhisperer said:

    make you look more foolish than you just did on your own. 
     

    Like I said in my last post, it is an obvious impersonation of JImBastard who has been trolling this site and our IRC channel for far too long.

    I agree that morbius is stretching this joke out a bit too far perhaps, as not everyone is in on the inside joke(s) that have developed.



  • @CodeWhisperer said:

    Oh no!  He's (suddenly) speaking in patois!

    Patois?  Man, we got all that up in here.  Caviar and Korbel, too.  Yeah.  Awright.  Yeah.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.