Esurance is technologically superior than others...

• So I looked further into my insurance company's "technology behind the company" page (hell, it was there so I clicked it) and lo and behold, heaps and piles of praise for technology was amassed upon their website, albeit under transition to .NET from ASP.  Built by their expert technology staff consisting of its creative, user interface, and technology teams.  Good to know.  Of course, their ability to encode page text correctly for display would be nice.

Sounds like this super team needs a tiny question-mark-in-a-black-diamond sized dose of QC/QA.   Nice work team!!    I only hope the typo in my insurance premium can be fixed as easily as this one.

esurance is technologically superior

• *YAWN*

It's not like they made a typeo that makes it look like they hate jews or something. 

EDIT:  correction, then bolded 

• oh, but one is young on his quest, garion, the scullery-rat kitchen cabinet boy.  whence one truly learns the ways of the ever-observant, yet pleasantly vagrant Beldin, these quaint flourishes in prioriously mentioned web tf's will provide one with a certain degree of umph in your currently - and likely perpetuitously - desperately lacking loins.

• @pauluskc said:

oh, but one is young on his quest, garion, the scullery-rat kitchen cabinet boy.  whence one truly learns the ways of the ever-observant, yet pleasantly vagrant Beldin, these quaint flourishes in prioriously mentioned web tf's will provide one with a certain degree of umph in your currently - and likely perpetuitously - desperately lacking loins.

Amen.... I think.

• I'm surprised you got anything to display in Fireefox.  Recently had the situation for them where my credit card expired and I forgot to update my eSurance account with the new number before they tried to auto-bill me.  They sent me a kind email, and I went to their site and changed the account number....only, there was no "pay now" button.

"OK, I guess they just detect the account number changing and run it right away".

Nope, they 'canceled" my account.  And by canceled I mean they sent me an email telling me it was canceled, at which point I went to their site via IE and hit the now existent "pay now" button and was magically uncanceled.

(I know, in the end it's my fault for not keeping a closer eye on it)

• It looks fine to me with FF2 on Linux.  The character appears to be one of the MS extensions but it should be supported by the encoding.  Are you sure you're not forcing UTF-8 or ASCII encoding? 

• @morbiuswilters said:

The character appears to be one of the MS extensions but it should be supported by the encoding.

Which encoding? Neither server nor page set one. Also have a look at the source. It starts with seven tables in front of the <html> element. Ugh..

• @Sokrates said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    The character appears to be one of the MS extensions but it should be supported by the encoding.
    Which encoding? Neither server nor page set one. Also have a look at the source. It starts with seven tables in front of the <html> element. Ugh..

ASCII and ISO-8859-1 both work.  The OP is forcing his client into UTF-8, so the real WTF is him. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Sokrates said:

@morbiuswilters said:

ASCII and ISO-8859-1 both work.  The OP is forcing his client into UTF-8, so the real WTF is him. 

What do you mean by forcing? I'm quite sure the OP is using utf-8 as fallback encoding, only to be used if no other encoding is specified. So, not using ASCII or ISO-8859-1 as fallback encoding in a browser is a WTF? What about ISO-8859-15?

• @Sokrates said:

What do you mean by forcing? I'm quite sure the OP is using utf-8 as fallback encoding, only to be used if no other encoding is specified. So, not using ASCII or ISO-8859-1 as fallback encoding in a browser is a WTF? What about ISO-8859-15?

@RFC 2616, Section 3.7.1 said:

The "charset" parameter is used with some media types to define the character set (section 3.4) of the data. When no explicit charset parameter is provided by the sender, media subtypes of the "text" type are defined to have a default charset value of "ISO-8859-1" when received via HTTP. Data in character sets other than "ISO-8859-1" or its subsets MUST be labeled with an appropriate charset value. See section 3.4.1 for compatibility problems.

• Oops. You are right.

• @Sokrates said:

Oops. You are right.

Welcome to TDWTF. Morbiuswilters is always right.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Sokrates said:
    @RFC 2616, Section 3.7.1 said:
    The "charset" parameter is used with some media types to define the character set (section 3.4) of the data. When no explicit charset parameter is provided by the sender, media subtypes of the "text" type are defined to have a default charset value of "ISO-8859-1" when received via HTTP. Data in character sets other than "ISO-8859-1" or its subsets MUST be labeled with an appropriate charset value. See section 3.4.1 for compatibility problems.

blah blah blah.  what's written for the US is only for the US?  I guess UTF-8 just doesn't exist.  It's been banished by standards!  

the wtf is that they brag about their skills and technology and then right in the middle of all that swagger is an error.  ugh.

• @pauluskc said:

error

OH NOES A TYPO ON A WEBSITE!!!!!

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Sokrates said:

@morbiuswilters said:

I sense additional smaller extremities in the audience tonight folks.  assumptions are for flamers like yourself.  ISO-8859-1 is my default, shmuck.  plus the same dealy was coming up on other pages as well, like the jobs page, etc.  I don't have the headers saved from that particular request, but should it arise again, I'll be sure to capture them for you to help further delve into the forensics of the issue.  It is fixed today.  They must be subscribed.  Don't feel bad Esurance Programmers!

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@pauluskc said:

error

OH NOES A TYPO ON A WEBSITE!!!!!

and an increase in my rate.  that just isn't right, ya think?  Surely they could fix that one problem for my extra $150.  Wouldn't take me but a itty-bitty-bit of time, let alone 150 dollars worth. 

• @pauluskc said:

blah blah blah.  what's written for the US is only for the US?  I guess UTF-8 just doesn't exist.  It's been banished by standards!  

the wtf is that they brag about their skills and technology and then right in the middle of all that swagger is an error.  ugh.

What the fuck are you bitches babbling about?  The encoding is not set by the page so it defaults to ISO-8859-1, as per the HTTP spec.  The only way I could get the "unrecognized character" glyph to show up was by forcing my client into a non-ASCII or ISO-8859-1 encoding.  The page is in English, anyway, so it doesn't need UTF-8.  People in other countries don't fucking need UTF-8 just to read a goddamn English webpage, are you really this dense?  There is no technical error on their side, it's all you.  This has nothing to do with them setting the wrong encoding or "ignoring UTF-8", they don't need UTF-8.

Yeah, supposedly it just "fixed itself" because the esurance developers have nothing better to do than lurk the Sidebar.  Or you saw your stupid ass had your browser set to UTF-8 encoding and when called out on it decided to be a little bitch and baww about it.

• @pauluskc said:

What the fuck are you bitches babbling about?

Sorry morbs, I know you said it too.

• @pauluskc said:

assumptions are for flamers like yourself. 

Oh good! Another troll! 

• @pauluskc said:

I sense additional smaller extremities in the audience tonight folks.

I suggest [url=http://www.amazon.com/Extremities-Dirt-Various-Repressed-Emotions/dp/B000QQY7HA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1210143153&sr=8-1]Extremeties, Dirt and Various Repressed Emotions[/url] ... check it.

•  Bitchy bitchy bitchy.

I've actually done the unthinkable and checked the source (independent of a web browser). The HTTP server sends no encoding header, the HTML file doesn't specify one either and the character cell in question holds value 0x92.

HTH. HAND.

• @ChZEROHag said:

I've actually done the unthinkable and checked the source (independent of a web browser). The HTTP server sends no encoding header, the HTML file doesn't specify one either and the character cell in question holds value 0x92.

OMG, 1337!  Did you stop to consider that someone might have already done this before you commented?  The character is single quote, part of the MS extension to ISO-8859-1, which is what I said in my first fucking post.  The only way to get an unknown character glyph is to force an incorrect encoding on the page (it was not "corrected just in time by the Sidebar-lurking developers").  Since no encoding is specified, the RFC stipulates that the default is ISO-8859-1.  However, most web browsers (and programs that display text in general) use the MS extensions because they provide extra characters instead of unprintable control characters.  Bawwing about this without any clue what is going on as the OP and some of the subsequent posters did is a Muggable offense.  Thanks again for restating precisely what I just fucking said, though, I appreciate Yes-men.

/kick #TDWTF Ch0Hag lern2read 

• WTF is wrong with this forum lately that every other thread turns into a flamefest? Locked!