Adobe Premiere CS 3 installation

• Ok, I appreciate Adobe has made a nice looking installer, but I would prefer something beign able to acomplish the task.
    I tried to install it on e: , which is an ext2ifs disk and Adobe refused to do so. I specified h: but later I saw the installers question was purely rhetoric, because 90% of the installation volume consists of Shared components, which are installed to drive c: to CommonFiles. Neverthelles installation failed. The only thing I was left with was non-functional uninstaller and a new ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## service(why the hell does Adobe Premiere need Bonjour service?).

So I checked the windows logs:

Product: Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 Third Party Content -- Error 1320.The specified path is too long H:\premiere.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

One point for anybody who figures out how it can happen. A bunch of more or less WTF moments was encountred during the install/

•  I tried to install it on e:   -   WTF #1

which is an ext2ifs disk - WTF #2

so. I specified h: - WTF #3

• Correction:
    Adobe: WTF #1

• @lolwtf said:

Correction: Adobe: WTF #1
    You gonna be a little more specific?  Adobe makes some great (if not expensive) products. 

• @belgariontheking said:

[quote user="lolwtf"]Correction:

You gonna be a little more specific?  Adobe makes some great (if not expensive) products. 

[/quote]

Flash.

• Well, the last time that happened to me was because the failed installation saved some borked registry keys such that every time i tried to install to a different drive, it would error out saying the short file path name is too long. Deleted all related registry keys and tried again and it worked fine.

• I don't see lot of WTF in not using C: for regular applications. By the way when I said C: it went all ok and I also run theyr cleanup script(so registry is probably no right thing to blame)

• @Kyanar said:

Flash
    Good point.  I hate flash more than I hate Oracle.

So we have one shitty project (which Adobe is not alone in creating), but this product happens to have brought up youtube.  Any others? 

Any others?

Acrobat Reader. I mean, come on. Why does it take half a minute to even start up, while there are other PDF viewers that take only some milliseconds to load? And why does it insist in being embedded into the browser? It is impossible to use the browser for anything else during it's lengthy loading period, that just sucks. Hell, there are even extensions for firefox that allow PDFs to be opened in an external application! And Acrobat reader is even spread with any commercial piece of software that features any sort of PDF document... Okay you could think that it just must be that way because PDFs are so complex, but then for once you uninstall Acrobat Reader and install Foxit Reader, and all those problems are gone: no long loading time, no embedding in the browser, and still enough features. I can imagine Foxit lacks some advanced features that Adobe has, but then again, it is a reader for users, not authors so why the fuck would there even need to be advanced features in the first place? That doesn't even make sense.

And I'm not even being sarcastic.

• I'd add ColdFusion and the basic Adobe Acrobat to the list. ColdFusion just because, and Acrobat because it constantly dials home even after you disable it. 

• Adobe Premiere 6.5

I've lost countless hours of work because, sometimes it just start saving your projects with all references to external files being "(-1)"...
    After a year using it we developed an in-house editor that worked much much better!

I still don't know if Photoshop was just luck...

• @Michael Casadevall said:

I'd add ColdFusion and the basic Adobe Acrobat to the list. ColdFusion just because, and Acrobat because it constantly dials home even after you disable it. 

ColdFusion is a total WTF. Right down to the part where it actually has a setting in our old CF4.5 for auto-restarting the CF Server "when the memory corrupts". Not if, when. 

• @darkmattar said:

ColdFusion is a total WTF. Right down to the part where it actually has a setting in our old CF4.5 for auto-restarting the CF Server "when the memory corrupts". Not if, when. 

CF is way better than any of your other "programming languages".  It's completely safe from buffer overflows and is extremely fast.  I can just drop a query right into my HTML template?  Does c# let you do that?  I didn't think so.  Why don't you get a real language?

• Flash is fine. It's just abused.
    But I do have to agree on the acrobat points.

• I hope you don't ever have to use the Nokia Phone Software Updater.

When I went to install it, on a work laptop (the only windows machine left in the house), it failed. Why? Because it was installing to the H drive, a network drive set up by the work trolls as the default drive. However, being at home, I wasn't plugged in to the work network, and so there was nothing for it to install to.

There is no setting in the installer to chose a different drive. Infact, there are no options at all, and nothing online about command line arguments.

In the end, I unmounted the network drive, put a usb memory stick in, and mounted it to drive H. It installed fine then!

• @henke37 said:

Flash is fine. It's just abused.
    Ever use the editor? Also it could stand to be a little less bloated. (Not too bad, but could be better.)

@lolwtf said:

Correction:

50MB PDF reader, with less functions in each version!

• How about Contribute (http://www.adobe.com/products/contribute/)?  My alumni association uses it for its client websites.  I have never used such a slow, crappy POS in all my years of working with computers.

• @derula said:

Hell, there are even extensions for firefox that allow PDFs to be opened in an external application!

WTFTM? Firefox requires an extension to change how it handles PDFs? Every other browser I've used has a preferences section that lets you decide how to handle various document types.

• @Carnildo said:

@derula said:
    Hell, there are even extensions for firefox that allow PDFs to be opened in an external application!

WTFTM? Firefox requires an extension to change how it handles PDFs? Every other browser I've used has a preferences section that lets you decide how to handle various document types.

It is in my preferences (FF3b5)... Dunno what Derula is using... Or smoking.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@Carnildo said:

@derula said:

It is in my preferences (FF3b5)... Dunno what Derula is using... Or smoking.

In FF2 it is the same, you choose in Preferences>Content how to handle file types, and choose whether to use a plugin, open in an external application, or save the file to disk. IIRC it has been pretty much like this since FF1.4 or so, when I started using it.

• @Physics Phil said:

In FF2 it is the same

TRWTF is derula then apparently. Excellent.

• @henke37 said:

Flash is fine. It's just abused.
    But I do have to agree on the acrobat points.

The browser plugins need some work, too. Flash and Quicktime are the only things I've ever seen cause Opera to crash. Flash is happy to use 100% of the CPU as well.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@Physics Phil said:

In FF2 it is the same

TRWTF is derula then apparently. Excellent.

Neh, almost. No, TRWTF is the developer of this extension.

Maybe it is for n00b users (unlike me, btw ¬.¬) who can't figure out the Firefox settings.

• @Kyanar said:

@belgariontheking said:

@lolwtf said:

Correction: Adobe: WTF #1

Flash.

Yes, Adobe made Flash.

Oh wait.

• @msntfs said:

Product: Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 Third Party Content -- Error 1320.The specified path is too long H:\premiere.

I've gotten the exact same error with some instalers when I attempt to point them at a virtual drive (created using the Windows NT 'subst' utility), though others work just fine. Anything special about your H: drive?

• @dhromed said:

@Kyanar said:

@belgariontheking said:

@lolwtf said:

Correction:

Flash.

Yes, Adobe made Flash.

Oh wait.

'Course they made it! It's called Adobe Flash, right? Qed.

Btw, why did Corel buy Micrografx? They had some nifty products. Maybe Micrografx was charging too little, which is obviously the case... I got a whole software suit as a Christmas present once, and I was a child.