Who needs functions or objects when you've got the cfinclude tag?

• Yea, yea....I'll say it first: the real WTF is ColdFusion.  The problem is that this former "developer" would have sucked at any language.

Basically, script B was getting included on every iteration of a certain loop (over a query) in Script A.  Script B included 2 function definitions, and a bunch of procedural spaghetti-code.   The procedural spaghetti code in script B needed to be re-used on every iteration of the loop in Script A, but CF didn't like the 2 function definitions on the 2nd iteration because they were already defined when the file was included on the 1st iteration.  Unfortnately, script B is also included by many other pages too...  At first, I tried a simple:

if( isDefined('function_identifier') )

{

function function_identifier

Which seems to work if the function is defined in the same file, but for whatever reason, didn't work when the function was defined in a previous include.  I finally had to place the function definitiosn in their own file (we'll call it Script C).  Script A included Script C once.  I added some code in Script B to check the CGI.SCRIPTNAME variable.  If Script B isn't being included by "Script A", then it will call Script C and define the functions.  SIGH

I've seen plenty of code from this former developer like this.  She never quite understood that <cfinclude> wasn't meant as a substitue for functions/objects as a method of reusing code.

• thread moved to side bar 

• Sorry I posted in the wrong forum.  Thanks for moving it. 

• Was this developer's name "Russ", "Russell" or some variant thereof, perchance?

• @morbiuswilters said:

Was this developer's name "Russ", "Russell" or some variant thereof, perchance?
    Maybe, if she was particularly hairy.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.