Web Project Ideas



  • I'm redoing my personal site and I'm planning expanding my portfolio section of my site. I planning on having 3 areas under the portfolio section: web sites, projects or demos, and playpen.

    Web sites: are going to be DNN sites that I've done for other people. They will be sites that I've skinned and have added custom components to. I've completed 1 site and I'm planning on adding a couple of more.

    Projects or demos: I'm debating about what to call this section. It will be open source web applications. I'm planning on providing the source code too. This will allow potention employers to see my coding style.

    Playpen: Will be more open source stuff. It will be smaller versions of projects. They will be 1-3 page apps that will test out the latest and greatest buzzword acronym.

    I have a few ideas on what i want to make for projects and playpen. I'd like to see if anyone else has any good suggestions.

     
    thanks,
     
    Brett


  • I don't know that any employer I've ever interviewed for has asked for my portfolio.  I think they mostly expect that if you worked on it elsewhere, you can't show it to them anyway.



  • @bstorer said:

    I don't know that any employer I've ever interviewed for has asked for my portfolio.  I think they mostly expect that if you worked on it elsewhere, you can't show it to them anyway.

    I think providing a URL with your cover letter or resume would be a good move, though.  And I have been asked for code samples of previous work I've done, so have some handy can't hurt.

     

    I think we need to see some of the ideas the OP has to be able to offer suggestions, though.  I have no idea what his strengths/weaknesses are, what technologies he's working with and what type of position he is applying for. 



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    And I have been asked for code samples of previous work I've done, so have some handy can't hurt.

    I have a whole collection of NDAs instead.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @bstorer said:

    I don't know that any employer I've ever interviewed for has asked for my portfolio.  I think they mostly expect that if you worked on it elsewhere, you can't show it to them anyway.


    I think providing a URL with your cover letter or resume would be a good move, though.  And I have been asked for code samples of previous work I've done, so have some handy can't hurt.

    I think we need to see some of the ideas the OP has to be able to offer suggestions, though.  I have no idea what his strengths/weaknesses are, what technologies he's working with and what type of position he is applying for.

    Morbiuswilters and I have had similar experiences in interviews.  Potential employees would like to see example of your apps or sample code.  Everything that I've made lately has been for internal use only.  That is why I've decided to create a portfolio section on my site.

    Currently I am not planning on applying for any new positions and I would put myself as a mid-level developer.  My goal is in 2-3 years to be a senior-level developer.

    There are 2 projects I am thinking about making:

    1.  "Average Moe's Gym" would be a web app where users could create workouts, track their diet, manage their gym membership, and they could also buy products(I may not do the last 2 parts).  Average Moe's Gym is a fictious company.  I'm basing it off of Average Joe's Gym from the movie Dodgeball.

    2.  The other project would be a college & career chooser application.  The data for this application would come from this site:  http://online.onetcenter.org/

    These apps would be coded asp.net.  I might do one in C# and the other in VB.net.  I'm also thinking testing out Asp.net MVC on one of them.  I'd like to 1-2 more apps in ASP.net.  I'm thinking later on I will do the same thing but for different languages.

     


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.