How to make an estimate



  • I got this time estimate by a member of another team:

        It is planned and would take approximately 2* (3*PI)  hours to implement.
        (3 hours is Patrik estimate, PI = 3.14159265  is default koefficient for time estimates and 2 is my addon : )



  • I thought everyone knew it was double the value and increase the unit by 1.

    1 hour = 2 days

    2 days = 4 weeks

    etc



  • Increment number then unit seems to be popular way of judging estimates. 3 hours becomes 4 days, becomes 5 weeks, etc. . .



  •  I heard it as "double the value, add 1 and increase the unit by 1", e.g. 1 hour = 3 days, 2 days = 5 weeks.

     



  • I heard it was half your age, plus seven.



    Wait, what are we talking about again?



  • Not any less accurate than plenty I've seen.

    Around here a typical estimate goes like this:

    • Actual work ~30 seconds
    • Move from DEV to UAT 5 hours
    • User Acceptance Testing 20 hours
    • Move from UAT to PROD 10 hours
    • PROD Data validation 10 hours



  • @cconroy said:

    I heard it was half your age, plus seven.



    Wait, what are we talking about again?

     

     

    Is that for the youngest age you are allowed to date/tea-party with? 



  • @cconroy said:

    I heard it was half your age, plus seven.

    It's the name of your first pet and the name of the first street you lived on. 



  • @taylonr said:

    I thought everyone knew it was double the value and increase the unit by 1.

    I wish I could make those types of estimates. They'd freak if I increased the unit. Instead, I just double it and tweak until it sounds safe enough -- with a minimum estimate of one day.



  • @medialint said:

    Not any less accurate than plenty I've seen.

    Around here a typical estimate goes like this:

    • Actual work ~30 seconds
    • Move from DEV to UAT 5 hours
    • User Acceptance Testing 20 hours
    • Move from UAT to PROD 10 hours
    • PROD Data validation 10 hours

    Working for Microsoft?



  • @lolwtf said:

    @medialint said:
    • Actual work ~30 seconds
    • Move from DEV to UAT 5 hours
    • User Acceptance Testing 20 hours
    • Move from UAT to PROD 10 hours
    • PROD Data validation 10 hours

    Working for Microsoft?

    then it would have been actual work 30 minutes, testing ~30 seconds, marketing ~3 years -> PROFIT



  • On my current project I told my boss "The Product data component could take 6 months by itself."  His answer was "No, it can't."  My estimates were basically created to make his boss' boss happy. 

     Not working any faster, and things are progressing about like what I'd expected. Thankfully the "official start date" got pushed back to 3 months after I started, so maybe I'll be all right :)

     


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.