Rather Complicated Map Usage

• When I finally figured out what a co-worker's code was supposed to do (by adding a bunch of my own comments describing lines and blocks), it was a forehead-slapping moment. Now although we write Java code, we're constrained to a proprietary framework and libraries. The code doesn't directly speak SQL -- we are forced to use a proprietary library which does that on our behalf. (Trust me, I'm doing you a favor by not explaining the proprietary stuff further.) Here's (essentially) what is code did:

MapList brands = ProprietaryClass.findObjects( {pseudocode: select id,name from brands} ); // MapList == java.util.List of Map objects

MapList brandsConnected = ProprietaryClass.findObjects(
    {pseudocode: select id,name from brand_mappings, brands where brand_mappings.brand_id=brands.id AND brand_mappings.object_id=1234}
    );
    Map brandsConnectedMap = new HashMap();
    for(int i=0; i < brandsConnected .size(); i++) {
    Map m = (Map) brandsConnected .get(i);
    brandsConnectedMap .put( m.get("name"), m.get("id") ); // mapping name -> id
    }

/* If you're following now, brandsConnected is most definitely a subset of the elements in brands. */

// -snipped code-
    // much later...

for(int i=0;i<brands.size();++i){
    Map brand=(Map)brands.get(i);
    String brandName=(String)brand.get("name");
    String brandId=(String)brand.get("id");
    if(brandId.equals(brandsConnectedMap .get(brandName))) {
    %><%=brand.get("name")%> <%
    }
    }

I think the way I've abbreviated it has even made it more clear for you, dear reader. Just imagine how many data structures, flow-control and looping constructs could be avoided if this were done just a bit simpler.

• @Kozz said:

When I finally figured out what a co-worker's code was supposed to do (by adding a bunch of my own comments describing lines and blocks), it was a forehead-slapping moment. Now although we write Java code, we're constrained to a proprietary framework and libraries. The code doesn't directly speak SQL -- we are forced to use a proprietary library which does that on our behalf. (Trust me, I'm doing you a favor by not explaining the proprietary stuff further.) Here's (essentially) what is code did:

MapList brands = ProprietaryClass.findObjects( {pseudocode: select id,name from brands} ); // MapList == java.util.List of Map objects

{pseudocode: select id,name from brand_mappings, brands where brand_mappings.brand_id=brands.id AND brand_mappings.object_id=1234}
      );
    for(int i=0; i  id
    }

/* If you're following now, brandsConnected is most definitely a subset of the elements in brands. */

// -snipped code-
    // much later...

for(int i=0;i  

I think the way I've abbreviated it has even made it more clear for you, dear reader. Just imagine how many data structures, flow-control and looping constructs could be avoided if this were done just a bit simpler.

Still missing a bit of code though

• When I finally figured out what a co-worker's code was supposed to do (by adding a bunch of my own comments describing lines and blocks), it was a forehead-slapping moment. Now although we write Java code, we're constrained to a proprietary framework and libraries. The code doesn't directly speak SQL -- we are forced to use a proprietary library which does that on our behalf. (Trust me, I'm doing you a favor by not explaining the proprietary stuff further.) Here's (essentially) what is code did:

);

for(int i=0; i < brandsConnected .size(); i++) {

Map m = (Map) brandsConnected.get(i);

brandsConnectedMap.put( m.get("name"), m.get("id") ); // mapping name -> id

}

// -snipped code- much later...

for(int i=0;i<brands.size();++i){>

Map brand=(Map)brands.get(i);

String brandName=(String)brand.get("name");

String brandId=(String)brand.get("id");

if(brandId.equals(profileBrandMap.get(brandName))) {

System.out.println(brand.get("name"));

}

}

I think the way I've abbreviated it has even made it more
    clear for you, dear reader. Just imagine how many data structures, flow-control
    and looping constructs could be avoided if this were done just a bit simpler.

Update: The new WTF is that the form timed out while I was trying to fix the formatting that the forum's WYSIWYG editor ate. Ack. Thank cthulu I pasted it into notepad first.