EBay learns to add up

• 82.01 + 62 = ?

Over the last few days I've had values anywhere between £143 and £146. It seems to cache a particular value for a while. Occasionally it'll hit the correct value. (Red rectangles are added for emphasis.)

• Reminds me a time when my bank changed whole software (when we switched to EUR). The numbers were all over the place. I had anywhere between -100.000€ to +250.000 euros on account. to bad that I didn't took screenshot then.

• @DarkAngl said:

Reminds me a time when my bank changed whole software (when we switched to EUR). The numbers were all over the place. I had anywhere between -100.000€ to +250.000 euros on account. to bad that I didn't took screenshot then.
    Not to mention that Euros aren't measured in the thousanths, just to the cents.  

• @belgariontheking said:

Not to mention that Euros aren't measured in the thousanths, just to the cents.

There go the plans for the French remake of [i]Superman III[/i] 

• uh... sorry, here we use "," for decimal separator and "." for thousands separator. So that's -100k€ to +250k€ 🙂

• @DarkAngl said:

uh... sorry, here we use "," for decimal separator and "." for thousands separator. So that's -100k€ to +250k€ 🙂

Danm Europeans...looks at passport...oh wait.  Damn Europeans who use bizare numeric conventions! 

Although really, it does confuse me briefly everytime I see numbers written that way.  I'm getting old, it's easy to confuse me nowdays. 

• @DarkAngl said:

uh... sorry, here we use "," for decimal separator and "." for thousands separator. So that's -100k€ to +250k€ 🙂

Ahh, I should have realized that.  TRWTF is me. 

Just goes to show how much we need a standard worldwide.

• @belgariontheking said:

Just goes to show how much we need a standard worldwide.

I nominate , for thousands seperator and . for decimal seperator. Yup, thats the American in me being ethnocentric.

(while were at it lets get rid of this metric system thing that makes WAY too much sense for us americans to ever use. units of 10? WITCHES!!!!) 

• @DeLos said:

I nominate ` for thousands seperator and . for decimal seperator. Yup, thats the American in me being ethnocentric.
    Fixed that to something more sane and legible.

• @Lingerance said:

@DeLos said:
    I nominate ~ for thousands seperator and BSTORER_ROCKS for decimal seperator. Yup, thats the American in me being ethnocentric.
    Fixed that to something more sane and legible.

Fixed that to something 150% more awesome.

• @DeLos said:

I nominate , for thousands seperator and . for decimal seperator. Yup, thats the American in me being ethnocentric.

(while were at it lets get rid of this metric system thing that makes WAY too much sense for us americans to ever use. units of 10? WITCHES!!!!) 

FWIW, the UK uses , for thousands and . for decimal as well.  It's just the rest of Europe that seems to be Bizaroland 🙂  We also still a fair amount of imperial lying around the place...'course ours are different to yours, but you can't have everything.

I do like Swedish dates though, they use yyyy-mm-dd, ie the ISO format. 

• @hikari said:

FWIW, the UK uses , for thousands and . for decimal as well.  It's just the rest of Europe that seems to be Bizaroland 🙂  We also still a fair amount of imperial lying around the place...'course ours are different to yours, but you can't have everything.

• @morbiuswilters said:

England: the 51st state

You, sir, owe me a screen cleaning.

• @morbiuswilters said:

• @bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:

• @DeLos said:

The metric system is way overrated.  I guess it makes the math easier if you have to do it with pen and paper, but who really does that anymore?  The one that cracks me up the most is temperature.  You end up with a scale that compresses the most interesting temperatures (i.e., the weather) into a less useful scale than Fahrenheit.  Note that the Fahrenheit scale was developed where 0 and 100 were set to encompass most of the temperatures encountered in Europe.  Why be so water-centric?

I think a similar argument applies to other measurements, especially meters.  A unit like feet is much nicer for things like measuring people's heights.  Such as:

5ft ~ 1.542

6ft ~ 1.8288 

Of course, some of this is surely due to my familiarity, but I think there's definitely something to using a system that came into being because it was useful for people to deal with, rather than convenient for doing calculations. 

• @bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:

• @boomzilla said:

Of course, some of this is surely due to my familiarity, but I think there's definitely something to using a system that came into being because it was useful for people to deal with, rather than convenient for doing calculations.

I was actually going to make a similar point, but didn't want to start a Metric vs. Imperial flamewar.  Metric is seen as easy because the magnitudes between different scales are multiples of 10, but how often do you really need that?

Ignorant American:  "Hmm, it's another 300 miles to Chicago."

Arrogant European:  "How many inches, huh?  Huh?  Metric is obviously superior because once I've figure out 300 miles is 482 in km, I can tell you that we are 482.000 meters, 48.200.000 centimeters and 482.000.000 millimeters from Chicago!"

Ignorant American:  "Oww, math!  Let's stop and get a Budweiser so I can get rid of this headache!"

Seriously, the only hard part of converting measurements is going between Metric and Imperial.  Seeing as America invented numbers and gave you all freedom, the rest of the world just needs to man up and adopt our system. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

I was actually going to make a similar point, but didn't want to start a Metric vs. Imperial flamewar.  Metric is seen as easy because the magnitudes between different scales are multiples of 10, but how often do you really need that?

All the time, actually.  Just the other day, I was in the store, and 2 liter bottles of soda were on sale.  But, how did the price compare to 12 packs of 12 ounce cans?  If only cans were, say, 250 ml each, it would have been a trivial calculation.  The purely imperial equivalent would involve trying to figure out how many ounces are in 2 quarts (64?  Okay, now the 12 pack has 144 ounces...)

Let's not forget that 1 cubic cm of water = 1 ml = 1 gram, and 1 calorie = the engery required to increase the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree celcius.  With knowledge of those two simple facts, you have the basis for 5 different types of measurement.  All the metric units are based on easily reproducable constants.

...well, they were in the early 19th century, at least.  Apparently the definitions are now more exact, but less easily remembered.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.