WTF Job Posting on TDWTF



  • Check this out, this just popped up for me:

    WTF Job on TDWTF.com

     

    Are any of you "aHadoop & Nutch" Enthusiasts?  I've never really liked their products...



  •  Oh crap! A typo in an AD!



  • I blame it on a sticky space bar. My "H" key at home requires a complete press-down to register.



  • Screech... Screech...

    Okay, I give up. What was it supposed to say?



  • While we're on the subject:

    Are the "Featured Non-WTF Jobs" supposed to be funny or are they actual ads?

    I realize both can be true.



  • @Spectre said:

    Okay, I give up. What was it supposed to say?

    It's supposed to say Do you like surfing for porn?



  • @Spectre said:

    Okay, I give up. What was it supposed to say?
    I know nutch is basically a search engine you can use to index sites yourself.  It's open Source.

    Hadoop is built by the apache group, and its front page looks like it was written by our bearded friend.  Probably open source as well.

    I couldn't tell whether you were joking.



  •  150K for being a Haddoop & Nuth enthusiasts?  WTF?



  • @belgariontheking said:

    Are the "Featured Non-WTF Jobs" supposed to be funny or are they actual ads?
     

    I often wonder the same thing since many of them seem to be a little WTF-y 



  • @belgariontheking said:

    Hadoop is built by the apache group, and its front page looks like it was written by our bearded friend. 
     

    Well, based on this architecture diagram (http://hadoop.apache.org/core/images/architecture.gif) the input apparently looks like "data data data data data data..." and what you get back, after running their application, is "data data data data data data...", so yeah, that sounds just like Spectate.



  •  @CodeSimian said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    Hadoop is built by the apache group, and its front page looks like it was written by our bearded friend. 
     

    Well, based on this architecture diagram (http://hadoop.apache.org/core/images/architecture.gif) the input apparently looks like "data data data data data data..." and what you get back, after running their application, is "data data data data data data...", so yeah, that sounds just like Spectate.

    You mean "data processing data processing" right?



  • Yahoo Pitches the Lazy Developer

    @eWeek said:

    Yahoo also has a lot invested in the Apache Hadoop technology. Hadoop, an open-source implementation of MapReduce and the Google File System, is used by Amazon, Facebook and others. Yahoo also has the largest production cluster running Hadoop.



    "We have adopted Hadoop internally for our search platform," Zawodny said. "We're taking the experience we have and contributing to the open-source project to make it easier for us and make it easier for the world."



    Many of the core Hadoop committers and contributors are on the staff at Yahoo, he said.



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    It's supposed to say Do you like surfing for porn?

    why pay for an ad if you're just going to ask a rhetorical question?



  • @lanzz said:

    why pay for an ad if you're just going to ask a rhetorical question?

    To get someone's attention, of course. Just like that half-naked woman in the banner ad.



  • Someone fixed the ad. It doesn't have the extra "y" or missing space anymore.



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    Someone fixed the ad. It doesn't have the extra "y" or missing space anymore.
    still missing an "n" on the "an". Wish there were jobs there that I could actually apply for.



  • @Lingerance said:

    Wish there were jobs there that I could actually apply for.

    I saw one that was right up my alley with more perks and higher pay, but it was a little too far for my tastes. I get road rage too easily, so long-distance commutes are out.



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    @Lingerance said:
    Wish there were jobs there that I could actually apply for.

    I saw one that was right up my alley with more perks and higher pay, but it was a little too far for my tastes. I get road rage too easily, so long-distance commutes are out.

    You could use the higher pay to get a helicopter.  Problem solved.



  • @bstorer said:

    You could use the higher pay to get a helicopter.  Problem solved.
     

    Or an Uzi.



  • @bstorer said:

    You could use the higher pay to get a helicopter.  Problem solved.

    It wasn't that much higher. It would be nice if public transportation was available around here. Metro Atlanta interconnects suck. If I was to drive part-way into the city, then take the public stuff, I'd probably have to switch between buses and MARTA at least 4 times just to get somewhere.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    Or an Uzi.

    I'd be outnumbered.



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:
    Or an Uzi.

    I'd be outnumbered.

     

    Kids these days, no sense of adventure.



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:
    Or an Uzi.

    I'd be outnumbered.

    That's true.  You'd better hold out for a job that offers you a company tank.  Tanks make driving to work fun again!



  • @bstorer said:

    @AbbydonKrafts said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:
    Or an Uzi.

    I'd be outnumbered.

    That's true.  You'd better hold out for a job that offers you a company tank.  Tanks make driving to work fun again!

     

    I have always wanted a Hummer with a .50 cal machine gun turret mounted to the top...

    Ah well... we all have dreams...



  • @bstorer said:

    You'd better hold out for a job that offers you a company tank.  Tanks make driving to work fun again!

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    I have always wanted a Hummer with a .50 cal machine gun turret mounted to the top...

    I'm now envisioning downtown Atlanta -- GTA style.



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    @bstorer said:
    You'd better hold out for a job that offers you a company tank.  Tanks make driving to work fun again!

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    I have always wanted a Hummer with a .50 cal machine gun turret mounted to the top...

    I'm now envisioning downtown Atlanta -- GTA style.

    That's essentially how I've always envisioned Atlanta: prostitutes everywhere, corrupt cops, tons of people who all look exactly the same, a bad targetting system...



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    I'm now envisioning downtown Atlanta -- GTA style.
     

    Understand, I am not the best for advising anything commute related, since most days my commute involves the 20 ft stagger from my bed to my desk... And sometimes I even have to get dressed!



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    most days my commute involves the 20 ft stagger from my bed to my desk

    I asked my supervisor if I could telecommute since I don't have anything group-related, but she said I couldn't because certain people would get jealous. The thing that really sucks about that petty shit is that I am much more productive between noon and 2am. I loved it when I was working from home while I had a highly contagious illness and could make my own hours. I got more done in that week than I did in a month at the office.



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:
    most days my commute involves the 20 ft stagger from my bed to my desk

    I asked my supervisor if I could telecommute since I don't have anything group-related, but she said I couldn't because certain people would get jealous. The thing that really sucks about that petty shit is that I am much more productive between noon and 2am. I loved it when I was working from home while I had a highly contagious illness and could make my own hours. I got more done in that week than I did in a month at the office.

     

    Right. That is why I just stopped going in.



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:
    most days my commute involves the 20 ft stagger from my bed to my desk

    I asked my supervisor if I could telecommute since I don't have anything group-related, but she said I couldn't because certain people would get jealous. The thing that really sucks about that petty shit is that I am much more productive between noon and 2am. I loved it when I was working from home while I had a highly contagious illness and could make my own hours. I got more done in that week than I did in a month at the office.

    In a previous job, you were allowed to telecommute, provided you were in the office for 40 of the "core working hours," which were M-F 8am to 5pm.  So essentially, you could telecommute during overtime.  Of course, overtime had to be pre-approved.  Hence, nobody ever telecommuted.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    And sometimes I even have to get dressed!
    Those are the worst days, aren't they?

    I hate pants.  Shirts are fine, though



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    And sometimes I even have to get dressed!
    Those are the worst days, aren't they?

    I hate pants.  Shirts are fine, though

     

    Ramen noodles and Diet Pepsi Max. I could work for a week straight.

    I have no idea what it is about that combo, but it is like rocket fuel.

    I never even liked ramen noodles before either, now I am practically addicted to them.



  • @bstorer said:

    In a previous job, you were allowed to telecommute, provided you were in the office for 40 of the "core working hours," which were M-F 8am to 5pm.  So essentially, you could telecommute during overtime.  Of course, overtime had to be pre-approved.  Hence, nobody ever telecommuted.

    That's retarded. I'm wanting to telecommute the whole time. We are salary, so overtime is not paid, but it is expected. The current CTO is a workaholic and doesn't understand how other people find anything over 50 hours extremely stressful. When I told him I was about to snap from the 60- and 80-hour weeks I had done, he said he did 80 all the time and had no problem with it. "Burnout" is a concept that is foreign to him. He even denied its meaning to me.



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    That's retarded. I'm wanting to telecommute the whole time. We are salary, so overtime is not paid, but it is expected. The current CTO is a workaholic and doesn't understand how other people find anything over 50 hours extremely stressful. When I told him I was about to snap from the 60- and 80-hour weeks I had done, he said he did 80 all the time and had no problem with it. "Burnout" is a concept that is foreign to him. He even denied its meaning to me.
    Must not like his wife and kids.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.