Layoff WTF

• @morbiuswilters said:

Nobody starves in this country, anyway

Because we exterminate the homeless?

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

Shhh, that's our little secret.  There are foreigners on here.. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

@MasterPlanSoftware said:

PSSSH they will figure it out... we exterminate foreigners too.

LOLz

• @morbiuswilters said:

<snip me again (I'll be singing soprano soon!)>

Hey, whatever works for you is great.

TBH I think in this case it's down to cultural differences; it's always the way it has been for me, but I can see it being strange to an oursider (as it were.)

@morbiuswilters said:

Getting screwed over after being a loyal employee is a disadvantage, but most decent employers won't do this because it's not in their best interests either, although it sure does happen to some unfortunate people.

Yeah, this is actually what the laws are there to guard against, ironically you will often find the people who get shafted are the people who won't use the powers they have as employees, which really annoys me.

@morbiuswilters said:

The advantage is that you can leave any time you'd like for any reason at all and it's also easy for an employer to get rid of dead-weight employees, which can contribute quite a bit to improving an office.

Yeah, that can be a problem, however I think a lot of companies need a bit more balls in this area, I don't see what's wrong with firing someone for being crap at their job. Ironically, the company I work for did that to someone, they moved him round retitled him and finally made redundancies, of which he happened to be one. They then employed someone else doing basically the same job, so he took them to court for unfair dismissal and won, however had they had the bollocks to just fire him they'd've probably been ok.

@morbiuswilters said:

Let's just put the truth out there, once and for all.  We divide people into two groups:

1. God-fearing Americans
    2. People scheduled for execution

• @bstorer said:

Let's just put the truth out there, once and for all.  We divide people into two groups:

1. God-fearing Americans
    2. People scheduled for execution

Right. And the brown(er) skinned nations are first, followed by yellow skin, and then when they are all gone, it will be white against white.

We didn't get rid of racism, we just export it now.

Right. And the brown(er) skinned nations are first, followed by yellow skin, and then when they are all gone, it will be white against white.

Hey, if Jesus wanted them to live he'd protect them from our bullets. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

No, he would've made them God-fearing Americans in the first place.

• @bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:

No, he would've made them God-fearing Americans in the first place.

Nope, he would have sent the plague to wipe them out, and fed the remainder to lions.

History people! History!

Nope, he would have sent the plague to wipe them out, and fed the remainder to lions.
    If that's not love. . .

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@BrownHornet said:
    This sounds very familiar. Are your company's initials PTS, and the Canadian parent company name starts with C and ends with X? If so, I used to work for the Canadian company as a software dev for many years.
    Really?! I know a lot of the devs left because of the BA. The two I came in contact with were great guys, but I found out later that they left.

Small world, indeed!

We must have met then. I was the Indian guy with the shaved head. Most of the senior devs left around late-2005 to mid-2006. When the CEO and CFO resign on the same day, then your manager and former manager resign a few months later within a few weeks of each other, it's a real eye-opener.

• @BrownHornet said:

Like many other BBs systems Community Forums implements a feature called Private Messaging.

• @Lingerance said:

Like many other BBs systems Community Forums implements a feature called Private Messaging.

Shhh... I was waiting on him to post his credit card information. 

• @Lingerance said:

@BrownHornet said:

It does? Given how much of a WTF Community Server is, I'd be amazed if it works properly.

• @Carnildo said:

It does? Given how much of a WTF Community Server is, I'd be amazed if it works properly.

You could always just try it, it would have taken the same amount of time as asking it and keeping this thread going....

You could always just try it, it would have taken the same amount of time as asking it and keeping this thread going....

Private message to MasterPlanSoftware: for his eyes only!  If you are not MPS, you are not permitted to read this!

Sure, he could have, but this way he gets to annoy all of us and not actually test the feature!  Suddenly, I have become convinced that quoting no longer works and will henceforth will compose all of my replies with cryptic references to the actual post I am replying to! 

•  @morbiuswilters: Sounds like a plan!

• To: "bstorer" <bstorer@forums.thedailywtf.com>

From: "morbiuswilters" <morbiuswilters@forums.thedailywtf.com>

Subject:  How dare you read my private conversations!

How dare you read my private conversations! 

•  Well how was I to know it was private?  You didn't even use the right tag!

• I was about to be laid off a few years ago. They told us about the layoffs, and said there was going to be a 4-week "consultation" period (I think this is a legal thing as they were chopping so many people). We were expected to come to work during this period, but were allowed to make phone calls and goto interviews etc. I instead pointed out the clause in my contract that stated that I actually worked from home, left the building and came back 4 weeks later for my exit interview.

To my suprise, they said that they wanted me to stay; somebody else had resigned the night before so they could keep one person. I think they expected me to be flattered and jump at it, but I instead said I wanted a week to think about it because there were lots of positions paying more money out there... was there anything that could be done about that? At the end of the week they offered me a reasonable increase (15%), so I "decided" to stay. I'd have stayed anyway, my wife was 7 months pregnant...