Does it hurt?

• I have a 3 year old.  One day, he was hovering near the stove.  I told him not to touch it because it was hot.  A minute later, sizzle - WAAAAAA!!!!  There are two lessons here.  1. don't touch the stove when it is hot.  2.  sometimes it is okay to trust what others say

Yesterday, I was alerted to a problem.  An application I support is sending out the same emails, over and over.  I do some research - check each step on the data flow.  I determine it is in the purging of the data after processing.  I check it out, and find that it is running a SQL delete, but not committing.  However, the data is loaded and deleted using a fancy enterprise connector thing.  It is configured correctly, but is not behaving correctly.  I suggest to the system administrator to delete the connection, and build a new one.  It 5 minutes of work, tops.  He never responds

I present my case to everyone involved, including the administrator who needs to make the update. I still get no reply from the admin.  This morning, I get an email, asking if this is going to be fixed.  Again, I request the admin to help make the change.  Nothing.

This afternoon, I start getting questions from the DBA who I worked with yesterday.  Apparently, the admin is doing all his own research.  He is asking questions that have already been answered.  He never has spent the 5 minutes working on the solution I proposed.  At the rate he is working, he might come to the same conclusion I did by tomorrow.

If my solution were that off-base, I would expect an email saying why it is bad, and why we should try something else.  I could deal with that.  But why waste his, the DBA's, the company's, and worst of all, my time?  I have much better things to do, such as post to the daily wtf.

I guess some people never learn.  I wonder if he still touches hot stoves, just to make sure it still hurts? 

• @dphunct said:

But why waste his, the DBA's, the company's, and worst of all, my time?

Because your solution was ignored completely. He wants to be the guy who comes up with the solution -- even if it's the same as yours.

This is one thing I like about our disjointed company: We are mostly developers with our own projects with complete control from beginning to end, and we all have administrator rights to whatever database we are using at the time.

EDIT: Down side: Everyone knows exactly who to go to when an application barfs.

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@dphunct said:
    But why waste his, the DBA's, the company's, and worst of all, my time?

Because your solution was ignored completely. He wants to be the guy who comes up with the solution -- even if it's the same as yours.

This is one thing I like about our disjointed company: We are mostly developers with our own projects with complete control from beginning to end, and we all have administrator rights to whatever database we are using at the time.

EDIT: Down side: Everyone knows exactly who to go to when an application barfs.

I had that in prev job. We all can manage w/e we want. When DB was not working I was the GOTO guy. The DBA was involved when I accidentally format the hard drive and then forget how to recover it... in other words NEVER (well maybe when I don't want to read the giant oracle book i'd consult him)

New job, we just make a salesforce request and wait...

I don't know which is better, less headake but less work done, or more headake and more work done... Now its been 3 weeks and my clearcase (WTF in itself) is still not authorizing me to create views. YAY! (Prev job my manager was the CC admin :), tought me everything I know in how to complain about CC )

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

He wants to be the guy who comes up with the solution -- even if it's the same as yours.

The antithesis of a famous quote

"It is amazing how much you can accomplish when it doesn't matter who gets the credit."

- Anonymous

Anonymous always has witty things to say. 

• @medialint said:

Anonymous always has witty things to say. 

Anonymous always delivars.

Anonymous is really cool and doesn't afraid of anything.

Anonymous isn't your personal fucking army. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

Tell that to Scientology... they are pretty sure Anonymous is an army coming to get them...

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

Tell that to Scientology

Dammit.. you were quicker.

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@MasterPlanSoftware said:
    Tell that to Scientology

Dammit.. you were quicker.

Damn right.

Damn right.

LOLcat time! ducks

I is anonimus cat

@morbiuswilters said:

Tell that to Scientology... they are pretty sure Anonymous is an army coming to get them...

No, Anonymous is Xinu's personal army.

• @arty said:

@MasterPlanSoftware said:

@morbiuswilters said:

No, Anonymous is Xinu's personal army.

You guys are behind the times.  Anonymous is now at war with epileptics.  Remember, Anonymous doesn't fight for good or evil, Anonymous only does it for the lulz. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

You guys are behind the times.  Anonymous is now at war with epileptics.  Remember, Anonymous doesn't fight for good or evil, Anonymous only does it for the lulz.

You really believe that was Anonymous and not CoS?

• everybody knows the church of scientology is ruled by epileptics who are using it as a tool to enslave the non-epileptic part of the population. the target hasn't changed.

• @myxiplx said:

I'm not sure it was the CoS. Probably at least a member or group of CoS members, but probably not "officially sanctioned."  But most definitely not Anonymous.

• @shadowman said:

@myxiplx said:

I'm not sure it was the CoS. Probably at least a member or group of CoS members, but probably not "officially sanctioned."  But most definitely not Anonymous.

It definitely was Anonymous.  They are not a "hacktivist" group, they are the Internet Hate Machine.  The "war" on Scientology was only started because it would be fun.  These are the same people who deface the Myspace pages of teenagers who have committed suicide just for the lulz.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@shadowman said:

@myxiplx said:

It definitely was Anonymous.  They are not a "hacktivist" group, they are the Internet Hate Machine.  The "war" on Scientology was only started because it would be fun.  These are the same people who deface the Myspace pages of teenagers who have committed suicide just for the lulz.

People commit suicide just for the lulz these days?  Each to their own, I guess, but it doesn't sound like a whole load of fun to me...

• @morbiuswilters said:

I have totally missed something. I only knew about Anonymous vs. CoS. Is there a resource somewhere that provides info on what all they've been up to?

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

I have totally missed something. I only knew about Anonymous vs. CoS. Is there a resource somewhere that provides info on what all they've been up to?

Anonymous originated on 4chan but has since spread all over the 'tubez.  Here's the (possibly-NSFW) ED article on Anonymous if you're interested.  Due to the disorganized nature of Anon, there is no real authoritive source on their operations, but you can always check out /b/ on 4chan, /b/ on 7chan or /i/ on 420chan.  None of those are safe for work, though, and if you are bothered by images of mutilated bodies, graphic sex and excrement (sometimes all 3 in the same picture) then you definitely don't want to visit them.