Unfortunate file name



  •  In the constant rush of desperately trying to get service releases of
    our software in order to avert imminent lawsuits, my team never quite
    got around to making the service pack upgrade process "user-friendly",
    "fault-tolerant" or "not manual".  In fact the process was a series of
    copying files around, deleting certain other files, expanding zips in
    particular places, copying other files, and then desperately searching
    through for the thing you missed that suddenly made it all break.
     Clearly this was not ideal, however if it was all documented clearly
    enough it should have been ok for the interim.  

    So, the person
    responsible for giving the release to the customer carefully wrote down
    the process in a readme file, ensuring no step was missed.  To double
    check, she sent the file around for us to look at to ensure she hadn't
    missed anything important.  We immediately noticed a problem, but it
    wasn't with the instructions she had written.  When naming the file,
    she had added the prefix "sp" (for service pack of course) in front of
    the standard "readme.txt" filename -- making "spreadme.txt".  Yep,
    "spread me".  There were some delicate moments as we tried to suggest
    to her that perhaps the name of the file wasn't the most appropriate.



  • @tboss said:

    When naming the file,
    she had added the prefix "sp" (for service pack of course) in front of
    the standard "readme.txt" filename -- making "spreadme.txt".  Yep,
    "spread me".  There were some delicate moments as we tried to suggest
    to her that perhaps the name of the file wasn't the most appropriate.

    Maybe it should stay that way. Maybe the customers would get a little laugh out of what would otherwise be a somewhat stressful procedure.



  •  Is she hot?



  • Tell her to name it con.txt then wait outside her door until you see smoke and you've heard her exhaust her repetoire of expletives ... ;-)

     



  • @dlikhten said:

     Is she hot?

     

    Let's hope she is.- 



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    Maybe it should stay that way. Maybe the customers would get a little laugh out of what would otherwise be a somewhat stressful procedure.
     

     Or they could be one of the many humorless people who get up in arms and complains. Remember it is only 10% of the people that make 90% of the noise



  • @DeLos said:

    Remember it is only 10% of the people that make 90% of the noise
    I always thought it was more like 0.1:99.9.



  • @DeLos said:

    @AbbydonKrafts said:

    Maybe it should stay that way. Maybe the customers would get a little laugh out of what would otherwise be a somewhat stressful procedure.
     

     Or they could be one of the many humorless people who get up in arms and complains. Remember it is only 10% of the people that make 90% of the noise

     

    This was for a government department so I doubt they'd be allowed to see the humour in such things. 


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.