The Requirements Document

• I started at a media/web design company a few months ago. Things... are rocky. For example, when I asked for a requirements document for a website we were starting to develop, this is what he gave me (see image below). That was only page 1 of 5, the rest are just as useful

•  was the image from their current site, or did they copy it from another website and then indicated what they wanted different about it?

This would be fine as a 1st draft that was never handed to you. They need to take the time and formalize the document.

Good luck with this. 

•  was the image from their current site, or did they copy it from another website and then indicated what they wanted different about it?

Sadly, it's neither. This is a "mockup" created in MS paint of how the basic structure should look.
    This isn't a first draft either! The reason I had to ask for a requirments document in the first place was because I didn't understand the 'point form' chicken scratch that he had ripped out of his notebook (... yes I do mean paper notebook).

•  So this is the formal requirements doc? I mean this looks like something we make during a requirements meeting, go back to our desks and make a mockup screenshot and send that out.

• @OverDrive33 said:

when I asked for a requirements document for a website we were starting to develop, this is what he gave me (see image below)

Who is this "he" and what position is he in? Is creating requirements documents part of his job? It doesn't seem like it. What I would do in your situation is arrange a meeting to get the requirements verbally then make your own requirements document and pass it back for and changes (red sharpie is fine) and approval ...

Yes that's a mess but it's the way "he" is expressing himself. It actually seems rather clear to me what is being requested here. All I'd need to do was pick the brain of The He to get the rest of what is going on inside of The He's Brain.

After 20+ years of seeing far worse than this I would have hardly blinked in your situation. Also, it seems like a pretty fun gig. I'd make an effort instead of throwing my hands up and proclaiming "WTF!??"

• @medialint said:

Also, it seems like a pretty fun gig. I'd make an effort instead of throwing my hands up and proclaiming "WTF!??"

Especially since the company has only been going for a few months. The whole operation will take time to iron out -- procedures and all.

Perhaps suggesting to the guy what you are looking for would be more appropriate, including suggesting a particular tool to make the mock-up and requirements in?

• @medialint said:

It actually seems rather clear to me what is being requested here. All I'd need to do was pick the brain of The He to get the rest of what is going on inside of The He's Brain.

Part of the problem is it was not real clear to me. I had a hard time making out his writing. Even though it was fairly neat it was still handwriting.