A couple of articles

• Here are a couple of articles I thought you all might find interesting:

Google Jumps Head First Into Web Services With Google App Engine

...Google App Engine (Update: The site is live), an ambitious new project that offers a full-stack, hosted, automatically scalable web application platform. It consists of Python application servers, BigTable database access (anticipated here and here) and GFS data store services...

Open source 3D printer copies itself

Based in the Waitakeres, in West Auckland, software developer and artist Vik Olliver is part of a team developing an open-source, self-copying 3D printer. The RepRap (Replicating Rapid-prototyper) printer can replicate and update itself. It can print its own parts, including updates, says Olliver, who is one of the core members of the RepRap team.

• On a related note, I'm thinking about using Amazon's S3 service for a website I'm planning. Is it worth it to use S3 for image hosting instead of my virtual host-provided bandwidth? If so, is it easy to integrate with?

• The last paragraph of the 3D printer article is priceless:

<font face="Verdana" size="1">“We know that people are going to use the printer to try to make weapons [and] sex toys and drug paraphernalia,” he says. “This is obviously not what we’re hoping they are going to build. We are hoping they are going to build more and better RepRaps.”</font>

• @chebrock said:

The last paragraph of the 3D printer article is priceless:

<font size="1" face="Verdana">“We know that people are going to use the printer to try to make weapons [and] sex toys and drug paraphernalia,” he says. “This is obviously not what we’re hoping they are going to build. We are hoping they are going to build more and better RepRaps.”</font>

Some would say that adding sex toys and weapons to it would make the RepRap better.

• @chebrock said:

Especially since he even thought to mention it. Seriously, I wouldn't have even brought it up. Why say things that you don't want them to do? That just gives people ideas!

• @chebrock said:

Perhaps people will eventually use the printer to replicate Seagate drives, since those are only used to store pr0n