"Intelligent" .NET Installer

• Might have already been posted, but I looked and didn't find anything.  I encountered this dialog while updating a server today:

.NET Framework 3.5 Setup

Awesome.  Thanks Microsoft.

<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>FYI: Pressing "Retry" just popped up the same dialog a few seconds later.

•  What's the big deal?  Just close those programs!

• @Aaron said:

FYI: Pressing "Retry" just popped up the same dialog a few seconds later.

What would you expect retry to do? You didn't close the installer, did you? Then of course it's going to present the same message.

Obviously, the correct answer here would have been to click the Ignore button, since you know it's safe to continue.

• One thing to remember when you are facing microsoft's errors -of any kind- is to just press 'Ignore' and stare at a light bulb while the program chokes for a bit and then just works as it usually should.- 

• @ZippoLag said:

One thing to remember when you are facing microsoft's errors -of any kind- is to just press 'Ignore' and stare at a light bulb while the program chokes for a bit and then just works as it usually should.-

Definitely. That's why I don't use most commercial installers for my stuff. Why does it take 5 minutes to install a 2MB app, and why does the status bar refill 2 or 3 times? NSIS is straight to the point.

• @KenW said:

@Aaron said:

FYI: Pressing "Retry" just popped up the same dialog a few seconds later.

What would you expect retry to do? You didn't close the installer, did you? Then of course it's going to present the same message.

Obviously, the correct answer here would have been to click the Ignore button, since you know it's safe to continue.

<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>
    Which is exactly what I did (although I dispute that anyone would "know", for sure, that it is safe; maybe the installer forgot to close a handle).  However, "retry" sometimes does clear up bizarre file-locking issues due to delayed writes or poor process timing or other operating-system voodoo that sometimes trips up installers.  I figured that some readers would know this, so I pointed it out to illustrate that it was not a freak accident, but a consistently-reproducible error.

Appreciate the pedantry though. ;)