Two windows active at once?

• @morbiuswilters said:

but CapitalIT called xfce retarded and I must defend my maiden's honor

IIRC xfce uses metacity (aka GNOME's WM), I can see where this retardation came from.

PS: according to my dictionary retardation is "A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.", which describe not having focus stealing prevention when older (and open source) WMs have it. Nothing against you or xfce.

• @CapitalT said:

IIRC xfce uses metacity (aka GNOME's WM), I can see where this retardation came from.

You do not recall correctly.  xfce has its own WM.

Perhaps you should do your research as well.  Even within the source you provided xfce kicks KDE's ass.  Also, if you had read what else I posted, you will also note that KDE takes significantly longer to build than xfce or Gnome.

@CapitalT said:

PS: according to my dictionary retardation is "A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.", which describe not having focus stealing prevention when older (and open source) WMs have it. Nothing against you or xfce.

xfce is open source and who gives a shit which is older?  Also, I consider the occassional focus-stealing (the only app that really does it is FF) a tiny loss compared to the hell that is KDE.  I'm not particularly fond of Gnome, either, but unless Jesus himself started writing for the KDE team in the last 2 years I'm probably going to still hate it.

• @morbiuswilters said:

unless Jesus himself started writing for the KDE team in the last 2 years I'm probably going to still hate it.
    He did, but he introduced five buffer overflows in his first week, so they rolled back all his commits and he hasn't submitted anything in the last 18 months.

• @morbiuswilters said:

You do not recall correctly.  xfce has its own WM.

That is correct, it also has a feature to disable focus stealing. Check the advanced WM features or w/e, I seriously can't recall.
    @morbiuswilters said:
    I'm not particularly fond of Gnome

Gnome is nice if you have no idea what an application does. Gnome is really bad if you want to launch an application by name and not function. (note: referring to gnome-panel's lovely habit of naming Firefox "internet browser").

• @morbiuswilters said:

You do not recall correctly. xfce has its own WM.

I stand corrected.

@morbiuswilters said:
    Even within the source you provided xfce kicks KDE's ass.

As long as you don't start anything (See the last table).

@morbiuswilters said:
    xfce is open source and who gives a shit which is older? Also, I consider the occassional focus-stealing (the only app that really does it is FF) a tiny loss compared to the hell that is KDE. I'm not particularly fond of Gnome, either, but unless Jesus himself started writing for the KDE team in the last 2 years I'm probably going to still hate it.

If it makes you happy, go with it. Though you should give KDE a second look*, a lot have happened in those two years.

*) You don't /have/ to give it a second look, I'm not commanding you. This is not a desktop war post. No flames intended.

• @Lingerance said:

That is correct, it also has a feature to disable focus stealing. Check the advanced WM features or w/e, I seriously can't recall.

Whoa, didn't even know that was there, thanks.  Oddly, it is already on and Gmail still manages to steal focus sometimes.  Perhaps it's a bug or something.  I stand corrected on the behavior of xfce in regards to focus-stealing, though. 

• @CapitalT said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    Even within the source you provided xfce kicks KDE's ass.

As long as you don't start anything (See the last table).

That's a silly comparison, though.  xfce is using Firefox, OpenOffice and Thunderbird, three of the most memory-hungry apps known to man.  Really, who uses Konquerer for web development, anyway?  I use Firefox, Abiword and vim and my machine is extremely fast.  FF leaks memory like crazy, though, so I have to close it at least once a day to reclaim the half a gig or so it has gobbled.

@CapitalT said:

This is not a desktop war post. No flames intended.

Meh, I'm fine with xfce.  I wasn't trying to start a flamewar either and Lingerance pointed out my original claim was incorrect anyway.  Maybe KDE has improved over the last 2 years, but I am very comfortable with xfce.  Use whatever you like, though, obviously.