I hate Citibank

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

Or you could just click the link, and automatically go to the post...

Yeah, but I could do that before, too.  Now I have less power.  Unacceptable. 

• I think they should ditch the textbox-based security question in favor of security-question checkboxes. Yes or no questions would be much easier to remember. To make it more secure, they could ask 4 or even 5 questions -- that's got to be, like, hundreds of possibilities! So if the system locks you out after 3 tries, well that's goodnight for the hackers.

I don't quite get the joke... is there a site that actually has yes/no questions, or are you just being silly? If it's the former, please tell me what site because I would like to start cracking some accounts.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@MasterPlanSoftware said:

Potential questions:

• Have you ever killed a man in Reno?
    • Have you had a milkshake recently?
    • Is it windy outside?
    • Do you like candy?

I love how two of the questions have different answers depending on when they were answered.

Umm... all 4 are potentially time variable. The 1st could never change from "yes" to "no", but could change from "no" to "yes". The other 3 could change in either direction.

• Alex made a whole article about this a while back, remember?

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/WishItWas-TwoFactor-.aspx

Personally, I like MPS's questions better than most of the banks.  Even the variable ones would probably be easier to remember than the BS answers I'm presently forced to use. 

• @savar said:

The 1st could never change from "yes" to "no", but could change from "no" to "yes".

It could if you forgot about it.

@savar said:

The 1st could never change from "yes" to "no", but could change from "no" to "yes".

I suppose that if "remembering" isn't a prerequisite, than none of these authorization methods are bullet proof anyway.

• @savar said:

@savar said:

I suppose that if "remembering" isn't a prerequisite, than none of these authorization methods are bullet proof anyway.

Well there you go. Bring me my retinal scanner!

I dunno about you lame-o's, but I have a DNA sequencer as my primary login.

• @savar said:

I dunno about you lame-o's, but I have a DNA sequencer as my primary login.

Yeah but it is how you go about providing the sample that bothers us...

I think biometrics are far worse from a security standpoint than passwords are.  Once somebody has your retinal scan, fingerprint or DNA sequence, you are fucked because there is no way for you to change them.  I prefer strong passwords because then it only exists in my brain and the only hacker who can get at that is named Jim Beam. 

• @savar said:

Umm... all 4 are potentially time variable. The 1st could never change from "yes" to "no", but could change from "no" to "yes". The other 3 could change in either direction.

Fail.  Read the first page, somebody already pointed that out and I responded with a clarification. 

• @Buzer said:

Does ANY bank in USA use some better 2-factor auhtentication than security questions? I mean, even in Finland, every bank (well, okey, there is a single one that only uses single use password + username) uses a card that normally countains 100 single use passwords (like "0001 173284" where 0001 is the part bank provides you and 173284 is the part you are supposed to enter). Most of the banks ask it right after logging in. SampoPankki used to (the new system is completly WTF. Just look the HTML, http://verkkopankki.sampopankki.fi) have the (imo) most secure solution: First you need to login with your normal username+password. After that, they asked for a random single use password from the card. Then you can do stuff like checking account statement etc. You can also enter bill's details. Once you have entered all the bills you want to pay, you need to approve them. That requires another single use password. Of course, stuff like buying & selling stocks etc. requires a single use password as well.

We have more or less the same system. But you can also choose to use an RSA card to sign your transactions. You need to use some special sw for that but it is quite secure cardreader for entering the pin. 

•  @MasterPlanSoftware said:

Or if you found out that the person you'd killed was actually a woman, or only slightly dead.

• Perhaps there should be 20 questions, to which you answer yes, no, sometimes, or never.  (or even FILE_NOT_FOUND and SILVER).

The only possibility I see of my killing anyone in Reno is if I happen to strike large portion of the earth from orbit, since I don't envisage myself visiting Reno.